The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Versatile Amp?
P Gleespen

Toledo, OH USA
Post  Posted 11 May 2001 5:31 am    

I need some help.

What I'm looking for is a versatile amp.

Obviously, for "traditional" country style playing, I need it to be clean and crisp when I want it to.

However, since traditional country isn't the only thing I do, I also need it to get down and dirty, but without blowing out my ears.

I love the clean sound of a twin, but it's got to be turned up to earbleeding levels to get a good dirty sound.

I know I could probably use some sort of distortion pedal, but compared to amp distortion, those really don't cut the mustard. Even those blue tube type things are only "ok".

So, my question is this:
Is there an amp out there that will suite my needs?

I suppose I could go with a A/B amp combo, but my wallet (not to mention my wife) wouldn't be too happy about that!

Anyway, I'd appreciate any input anyone has.

Glenn Austin

Montreal, Canada
Post  Posted 11 May 2001 7:57 am    

Mesa Boogie Mk II, III, or IV,or get a Line6 POD and sound like everything.

Bobby Lee

Cloverdale, California, USA
Post  Posted 11 May 2001 8:18 am    

Fender's "Stage" amps are pretty versatile and won't break the bank. The one steelers like best is the Stage 112, which is no longer being made. I played through one at a jam once and was really impressed. It puts out 160 watts and has a tube preamp that can be switched from clean to distorted with a footswitch.

The current models are Stage 100 (100 watts with 1 12" speaker) and Stage 160 (160 watts with 2 12" speakers).

------------------
Bobby Lee - email: quasar@b0b.com - gigs - CDs
Sierra Session 12 (E9), Williams 400X (E9, D6), Sierra Olympic 12 (F Diatonic)
Sierra Laptop 8 (D13), Fender Stringmaster (E13, A6)

[This message was edited by Bobby Lee on 11 May 2001 at 09:19 AM.]

Robert

Chicago
Post  Posted 12 May 2001 5:49 am    

P:
Check out www.toneking.com/ . . . I've test driven these amps - the 40-watter, anyway, and it sure was a cool amp. Nice Fender-like reverb channel and a half-power channel that sounds like a tweed amp. Distorts musically. Next to a lot of "boutique" amps, it's downright inexpensive - and blows away the re-issue stuff.

Rob

D Schubert

Columbia, MO, USA
Post  Posted 12 May 2001 4:34 pm    

If you're looking at old tube Fenders -- silverfaces are much more reasonably priced than blackfaces -- maybe a Pro Reverb (40-50 watts x 2-12's) or a Super Reverb (40-50 watts x 4-10's) would be more to your liking. Those begin to warm up sooner because the aren't so powerful. A Vibrolux Reverb (40 watts x 2-10's) or a Deluxe Reverb (22 watts x 1-12) warm up at even lower volumes -- but you'd probably want to mic those to get a clean steel sound at higher volumes. I love the sound of my old Sho-Bud through a Deluxe Reverb -- and it sounds "natural" when it's overdriven -- but it would not compete with typical drummer and bass player at typical dance-hall volume levels.

Donny Hinson

Glen Burnie, Md. U.S.A.
Post  Posted 12 May 2001 5:44 pm    

I have a Peavey Stereo 212 Chorus amp that works real nice on guitar and steel. It has two channels...one clean, the other with nice distortion. Also has digital effects (verb, echo, slap) and a real nice sounding chorus, too. Should you find one, go for the LeMay mod kit. This helps the steel tone a lot. It's the most versatile amp I have. I'm like you...I don't like to carry a bunch of extra "gimmicks" around.

Bill Crook

Goodlettsville, TN , Spending my kid's inheritance
Post  Posted 13 May 2001 6:38 am    

Simple, Man....

Just use a "Profex II"

The best of both worlds.

Works well with Steel or "6 String"

richard burton

Britain
Post  Posted 13 May 2001 1:20 pm    

The harmonic distortion of a valve amp is caused by the power stage valves overloading,ie you have to run the amp flat out to get the desired tone. Marshall amps make a device called a 'Powerbrake' which goes between the amp and the speakers. This controls the volume of the speakers by dissipating excess power as heat, thus preserving the tone at a tolerable volume.

Dan Tyack

Olympia, WA USA
Post  Posted 15 May 2001 9:43 pm    

Richard is absolutely correct that a lot of that great 'overdriven' sound comes from the power section. A twin plus a reactive load device (I would recommend the THD Hotplate for a fender) is about as versatile as they come. A great clean steel sound, but when you get those 6L6s cranking, it's a thing of beauty.

------------------
www.tyacktunes.com

Tom Diemer

Defiance, Ohio USA
Post  Posted 16 May 2001 4:01 am    

Just a thought.

You might check around for one of the Peavey Ultra line amps.
I have an Ultra 410 that has a wonderful, almost fender 'clean' sound, then has a crunch, and ultra channel besides, and will get VERY warm or punchy if you want it to. And has a very smooth sounding reverb.
I heard Peavey recently discontinued the line, but you could probably fine one in a store to check out. I like mine a lot.
It is, btw, a tube amp, uses 4 12ax7's into 2 6L6's. I believe they made it with 1x12, 2x12, and 4x10 speakers.

Might be worth a look.

Steven Knapper

Temecula Ca USA
Post  Posted 16 May 2001 5:59 am    

My 2 cents:
I have been playing 6&12 string accoustic, Strat, Mandolin, Lap Steel, harmonica---etc. through a Solo Series Peavey Bandit 65 since '84 and now a GFI S10 Ultra. It does have a dirty and clean channel, it isn't the BEST pure steel sound around but after doing some recording recently, I was kinda impressed with the sound I got from the clean channel. There are a lot of choices out there, you gotta figure out your compromise if $$ is the issue, ya got a lot of great input here from these guys. Good Luck!!!

------------------
Steven

GFI Ultra S10 Keyless
Peavey Bandit 65

Buck Dilly

Branchville, NJ, USA * R.I.P.
Post  Posted 17 May 2001 7:42 pm    

I have been a tone fanatic for 35 years, and though tone is completely subjective, a few simple principles seem universal. 1) No amp or effect in the world will do everything.
2) You cannot clean up a dirty amp. 3) therefore you can only hope to alter the sound of your clean amp. Find an amp whose tome you love. Ex.: Twin Rev. Then try every dist device you can get your hands on. I use several amps, depending on the size of the venue, and certain overdrives match well to certain amps. The Fulldrive II
(California) is about $200. but reallyy sounds great with a steel. 4) What sounds great to me may bite it for you. Good luck.
I love the journey.

Steven Knapper

Temecula Ca USA
Post  Posted 17 May 2001 8:06 pm    

Fairly well put Buck, it is subjective and kind of a personal thing as to what you want to hear, your style of playing and if you are in this position, maybe a producer and sometimes, the band you play with. Ya gotta figure out what WORKS for you!!

------------------
Steven

GFI Ultra S10 Keyless
Peavey Bandit 65

P Gleespen

Toledo, OH USA
Post  Posted 18 May 2001 5:43 am    

Thanks for all the input everybody, I really appreciate it.
This forum is a great place!

Robert

Chicago
Post  Posted 19 May 2001 5:43 am    

I agree that no single amp will do it all - but check out that Tone King: the amp runs at 40 watts on the "blackface" channel (with a nice reverb), and is footswitchable to the "tweed" channel - which runs at 20 watts. Easily overdriven without splitting eardrums. It's really two twenty-watt amps in one cabinet. I don't work for Tone King, but I'm working on selling one to myself! I can't stay off of these amp threads, because I've been shopping for an amp since the snow was flying . . .

Rob

Dan Tyack

Olympia, WA USA
Post  Posted 21 May 2001 9:01 pm    

Buck, I'm with you on that FullTone pedal, that sounds great with the steel (not squashed and buzzy sounding like most overdrives). It is especially useful for putting a fender amp 'over the top'. I use the combination of the FullDrive II with the THD Hotplate when I gig or record with my Showman. I use the Hotplate because I think the sound of the power section getting overdriven adds something that can't be duplicated by any pedal.

------------------
www.tyacktunes.com

Hugh Price

South Carolina, USA
Post  Posted 27 Oct 2019 7:21 am     My first post.

This is my first post on the SGF. And I thought it was appropriate that my first post should be a reply to a thread that was Buck Dilly's first post on the SGF. Coincidentally, his first post here was on the same date that a memorial concert was held for him almost 15 years later. Buck Dilly (real name, Stephen Kerlinger) was like a loving/caring uncle and musical mentor to me, from the time I was 22 until his death when I was 52. 30 years! I bought a Gibson Grande Console Double-8 he found and on his recommendation long ago. I regret selling it for some cash now of course. Buck was a lap-steel MASTER already when he seriously embarked on accomplishing his goal of being able to play ALL the jazz standards on Pedal Steel. The last ten years of his life found him nearly obsessed with practicing and growing musically on the instrument.

So, back to this ancient post which is still relevant. I was always a Fender Twin fan since one spontaneously came as a Xmas gift from my beloved Stepfather Jim Holmwood in 1977. Just through chance, it became the amp that helped create my personal electric guitar tone, which seemed to evolve into super-clean with pedals added, lots and lots of pedals... My electric playing was described by Kevin Hamilton (bass) as having a very acoustic quality to it, and I used heavy guage strings with a wound third for the fattest unaltered tone possible.

Recently I bought another "clean" amp, a 1963 Gibson GA-200 to run lap steels through and maybe someday a pedal steel as well. I don't plan on "roading" it though, haha. Too clean in the condition department to bounce around much. Not that I'm roading much anymore anyway.

So yes Buck, you can't clean it up when it comes to amp coloration that is inherent to the amp design itself. Gain structure is where it's at my dear Uncle. Headroom is good! I miss you so much, and thank you for all your kindnesses and encouragements along the way. To remember you spoke about the forum here as a good reference, then joining myself to find all of your posts, (well over 1000 in all) has been very emotional for me this morning, but joyous as well. God keep and hold your soul forever. You were and are much loved. Your musicianship was as top-notch and purely motivated as any ever has been. Thanks for turning me on to the Steel Guitar Forum. "Better late than never." So true.

Greg Lambert

Illinois, USA
Post  Posted 27 Oct 2019 9:41 am    

try the Fender blues Jr IV. A Great little amp that wont break your back or bank account and can get real dirty.

Brooks Montgomery

Idaho, USA
Post  Posted 27 Oct 2019 10:23 am    

This forum has legs! 18 year later response to an amp tone query!

Godfrey Arthur

3rd Rock
Post  Posted 27 Oct 2019 4:21 pm    

Fender just introduced the Champion XL-100.

It's a modeling amp with FX built-in tap tempo for the delay etc. 100 watts 40 lbs.

Height: 19"
Width: 26"
Depth: 10.25"

2x12 Celestions

About $500

I think they sound nice for the price point and being an SS amp.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6edR9yWwCSw

Rod Taylor in 2019!

Tony Prior

Charlotte NC
Post  Posted 28 Oct 2019 2:52 am    

I'm kinda laughing to myself, ( silently) a few of us see pedals as GIMMICKS then purchase an amp that has pre-loaded Gimmicks ! Its the which came first, the Chicken or the Egg thing. No diss intended, just an observation Very Happy

The question asked is very difficult to answer if not impossible. One amp to be CLEAN when needed and then NOT clean when needed. Quite the quandary !

Personally, finding a CLEAN amp has never been an issue but finding an amp that offers a desired STOCK NON clean tone or sound is quite difficult. I would be willing to bet that we could all agree on a nice clean tone amp but would have little or zero consensus on the tone of a NON clean amp or channel. So this is where a favorite pedal comes into play. And which guitar ? which pickups ? it all matters when seeking a "drive" kinda tone. How much drive, full blown or just enough to emulate an EL84 amp ?

My take, as usual, I have a take, Find the clean amp you like, then add a pedal, the only problem is not all pedals are equal, some are MUCH better than others , they have clarity, very controlled drive , they don't sound solid state squashed , and some are not worth the plastic or metal case they come in. To MY ears...to be clear.

We hear our favorite players on records and shows, we try to emulate them and their tones. Maybe find out what they
are using ! Its not actually a secret ! Very Happy

Mason, Paisley, Trapp, E Johnson etc...they each have a different and unique drive tone, with "STUFF" in front of the amps they are using .

Good luck on the journey !

Oh yeah ..me, after years of trial ,error, buying ,selling, returning.... for me , I use two, sometimes in the same rack, but not at the same time. Different settings for different songs.

I also may use different guitars which require different drive settings. All Telecasters are not equal !

CURRENT MUSIC TRACKS AT > https://tprior2241.wixsite.com/website

Gabriel Edell

Hamilton, Ontario
Post  Posted 28 Oct 2019 6:35 am    

I’m with Tony on this one. Assuming this is for steel guitar and not regular 6-string?

Aside from Ted Nugent in the 70s, most people don’t try to get a good dirty sound out of a Fender Twin – they’re designed to stay clean way beyond a comfortable listening level. As already mentioned here, there are smaller Fender amps, like the Deluxe, which will deliver a similar sound at a more manageable volume. There are also a LOT of good amps with channel switching. Mesa/Boogie has a ton of options (check out the Lone Star, which has two channels and multiple power section settings).

I would recommend against using a speaker load box. It will work great, but you’ll still have to reach over and turn up the amp and then adjust the box until you get the sound you want at the volume you want. Too much fiddling for a live situation.

I think you should spend some more time looking at overdrive pedals. There are now a bunch of great pedals that will go a long way towards giving you a cranked amp sound into a clean amp (and you already have one of the best clean amps available). The Fulltone OCD is a great pedal, as is the Wampler Plexi-Drive, and the Z-Vex Box of Rock. That being said, what works for regular guitar doesn’t always work for PS – my go-to overdrive for PS is an old Tubeworks RealTube pedal – I never could get it to work well with regular 6-string.

Godfrey Arthur

3rd Rock
Post  Posted 30 Oct 2019 11:51 am    

Godfrey Arthur wrote:
Fender just introduced the Champion XL-100.

It's a modeling amp with FX built-in tap tempo for the delay etc. 100 watts 40 lbs.

Quote:
most people don’t try to get a good dirty sound out of a Fender Twin

Quote:
finding an amp that offers a desired STOCK NON clean tone or sound is quite difficult.

The Champion XL-100, for all the Twin type amps, does have an agreeable distortion or non-stock non-clean tone.

I suggest everyone give it a listen. I was surprised.

IMO solid state amps have been synonymous with pedal steel.

In the Champion, you can get BOTH clean and dirt out of this amp.

And to reiterate, it's only around $500 brand new.

The clip below starts off with a grit tone.

@10:00 check out the clean tone.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6edR9yWwCSw

Tal Herbsman

Wisconsin, USA
Post  Posted 30 Oct 2019 1:53 pm    

Mesa rectoverb 25 combo

https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/RectoVerb112CB--mesa-boogie-recto-verb-25-25-watt-1x12-inch-tube-combo-black-with-cream-and-black-grille

This was the first amp I bought when I picked up pedal steel. Since then I picked up a few of the more iconic PSG amps including sarno, milkman and PV. The Mesas clean channel holds up real well in that company. In addition you get every kind of distortion from a little bit of overdrive to fuzz in a nice convenient easily dialed in package. I like it. The spring reverb unit on it is exquisite.

Travis Toy

Nashville, TN, USA
Post  Posted 9 Nov 2019 2:20 pm    

This pretty much does it all, and I cover a LOT of ground as far as needing a wide variety of tones/sounds.

-t

https://www.quilterlabs.com/index.php/product/travis-toy-12