The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Any Idea where I can get a bronze bar?
Barbara Berg

Washington, USA
Post  Posted 16 Oct 2019 2:29 pm    

I lost my 2 1/2 bronze bullet bar last month and really miss playing with it! It came with one of my vintage guitars so I know I will probably never replace the exact bar. It was about a 1/4 hollowed out so the weight was perfect for my slim fingers. If anyone has any suggestions I'm all ears. I play with my Dunlap bullet bar 2 3/4 inches but really miss my bronze.

Jack Hanson

San Luis Valley, USA
Post  Posted 16 Oct 2019 2:48 pm    

Check with Forum member W. Johnson in Oregon. He's previously offered custom bars in various materials.

Steve Atwood

Massachusetts, USA
Post  Posted 16 Oct 2019 4:09 pm    

I got one from Wayne last year - great tone and a reasonable price. He'll hollow it out for you too.

https://www.facebook.com/Innovative-Guitars-1026813080669387/?tn-str=k*F

Joe Burke

Toronto, Canada
Post  Posted 17 Oct 2019 8:58 am    

Why brass? I'm happy with my steel one, but I'm curious to know what the difference is?

Steve Atwood

Massachusetts, USA
Post  Posted 17 Oct 2019 6:16 pm    

I'm happy with my steel too, but the bronze has a slightly different sound to me, warmer and fuller, that sounds better on some songs. I also have an aluminum bar and every metal has a different tone. For example, I'm not sure what Jeff Au Hoy is using on this song, but it doesn't sound like steel to me:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1BdGpDSToSk

Barbara Berg

Washington, USA
Post  Posted 18 Oct 2019 7:56 am     Where can I find a brass bar

Thanks for the information, I just sent a message to W. Johnson. As for the question is a bronze bar different from a steel. Well to me when I play my 1946 Ricky it sounded full bodied (like playing one of those bronze bowls they use for meditation). Course my Ric has a bell tone all in itself, the bar made it a bit sweeter. When I started with my 1950's Supro I used a bakelite bar which I still have. Doesn't produce the sound like a steel or bronze.

Don Barnhardt

North Carolina, USA
Post  Posted 1 Nov 2019 11:31 am    

I like bronze/brass bars too. I have a roy smeck bar that I rounded off. I bought it back around 1952. It's 3 1/4" long and 5/8" dia. I can't hold a round bar any more. If you would like to have it I'll give it to you. Give me your mailing address. I like a Stevens bar with the chrome removed and rounded on one end.

Steffen Gunter

Munich, Germany
Post  Posted 2 Nov 2019 3:33 am    

Daddy Slide in Germany ( http://daddyslide.de ) make great bars, two different bronze materials (and others), custom sizes. Highly recommended.

Barbara Berg

Washington, USA
Post  Posted 8 Nov 2019 6:11 pm     Bronze bar

Thank you for your suggestion. I've already received my bronze bar from Wayne, he did a great job. I love the SGF, you can always find out an answer to your question!

Dan Yeago

Virginia, USA
Post  Posted 9 Nov 2019 6:55 am    

Helpful info, but I'm not a Facebook guy and am having trouble finding an email addy for Wayne Johnson. Could someone PM it to me, please?

Jerry Overstreet

Louisville Ky
Post  Posted 9 Nov 2019 7:05 am    

Steve Atwood wrote:
I got one from Wayne last year - great tone and a reasonable price. He'll hollow it out for you too.

https://www.facebook.com/Innovative-Guitars-1026813080669387/?tn-str=k*F

You don't need to be a facebook subscriber to see the contact info in Steve's posted link above.

Just click on Steve's link, click on the ABOUT button and you can see a phone number and an email addy.

If you get a prompt wanting you to sign up, just click not now.

I don't use FB either, so I've found this way to get contact info that seller's make it difficult to find by not posting other than FB.

Dan Yeago

Virginia, USA
Post  Posted 9 Nov 2019 11:06 am    

Hey Jerry. Thank you for the really useful info in navigating FB. This will come in handy for a long, long time. dan

Lee Holliday

United Kingdom
Post  Posted 11 Nov 2019 10:07 am    

I have recently transferred to the engineering department where I work, it is old school, lathes, bronze & Brass rod,s so guess what I am contemplating getting made on the lathe...

Watch this space.

Lee