The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Video Theft on YouTube
Doug Beaumier

Northampton, MA
Post  Posted 7 Nov 2019 8:40 am    

Someone recently informed me that my Sleep Walk video was posted on someone else's YouTube channel. I checked it out and that stolen video had 74,000 views (credited to that person's account), with ads showing on the video. The guy had downloaded my video and uploaded to to his channel.

Then I discovered that YouTube has a "Copyright Match Tool" for creators that alerts us when there is matched content uploaded to YouTube. I went to the Copyright Match page and I discovered 68 other videos of my Sleep Walk. Most of them had less than 1000 views but a couple of them had over 20,000 views. From that Copyright page I was able to report the videos and YouTube very quickly removed most of the stolen videos (so far). Each video has to be reported separately and although it only takes a few clicks, it's time consuming and annoying to submit 68 separate reports. I'm sure there will be more.

Steven Hicken Jr.

Leeds, United Kingdom
Post  Posted 7 Nov 2019 8:53 am    

At least you're famous and talented enough to have your videos stolen 😂.

I'd be interested to know how to use this tool though. I can guarantee non of my videos will be stolen though, I couldn't even pay people to take them!
202X *Insert new guitar here*

https://www.stevenhickenjr.com/

Doug Beaumier

Northampton, MA
Post  Posted 7 Nov 2019 9:46 am    

I think the matching tool is only available to YT creators who are in the partner program... not sure though. I just go to YT Studio and click on Copyright on the left side panel and it shows several pages of matched videos. Then I click on the buttons to report those videos and YT removes them almost immediately.

Charlie McDonald

out of the blue
Post  Posted 8 Nov 2019 2:10 am    

Some people must be pretty hard up to steal music. Could this be another form of a compliment? Shocked

Doug Beaumier

Northampton, MA
Post  Posted 8 Nov 2019 5:47 am    

I guess it could be thought of as a compliment if the videos listed me as the player... but most of them don't. My name is not mentioned in most of the titles and descriptions. The videos are listed as Sleep Walk or Steel Guitar or Hawaiian Guitar, or Santo and Johnny or even Ritchie Valens Song.

Curt Trisko

St. Paul, Minnesota, USA
Post  Posted 8 Nov 2019 6:49 am    

How frustrating!

Let's not forgot that YouTube gained overwhelming dominance in its market by being the best at enabling people to share copyrighted content without authorization. That was before they had loads of people creating original content specifically for their own YouTube channels, like now. It was a lot more innocent back before they generated significant income or were acquired by Google for huge money.

David Mitchell

Tyler, Texas
Post  Posted 11 Nov 2019 10:23 am    

Consider yourself famous. Famous enough for anyone to even want it. Celebrity singers have so much theft going on they got good at ignoring it. Steel guitar YouTuber's use to make money with their videos. I suppose David Hartley has made a lot there. I did for a while until they changed the requirement of 1,000 subscribers in order to monetize then they stopped paying me. They never even payed me for the back money they owed me. Was nearly 300 dollars. It's like working for an employer all year long then out of the blue he says "On, I'm sorry. We have new rules now and can't pay you."

Doug Beaumier

Northampton, MA
Post  Posted 12 Nov 2019 8:33 am    

By yesterday all 68 had been removed... but today there are 2 new ones! So I reported them and they should be gone by tomorrow. Strange that all of the thefts are the "Sleep Walk" video only, and they are all outside of the USA, primarily in Spanish speaking countries. A lot of people nowadays think that Richie Valens played the original Sleep Walk. That's because the song played at the end of the RV movie.

Jon Light

Saugerties, NY
Post  Posted 12 Nov 2019 9:33 am    

There was a former forum member, booted over a serious charge of fraud/theft (no, not our favorite scam artist -- someone else) who was an egregious video pirate. He was selling Paul Franklin courses, among other things. Wonder if he's still at it, here.