The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.
Author Topic:  Quilter Travis Toy 12 Signature Steel Guitar Combo Amp
Travis Toy

Nashville, TN, USA
Post  Posted 30 Sep 2019 7:59 am    

So proud to launch my Travis Toy 12 Signature steel guitar combo amp with Quilter Labs today, and be the first in their artist series. Y’all check it out!

https://www.quilterlabs.com/index.php/product/travis-toy-12

-Travis

Last edited by Travis Toy on 15 Oct 2019 4:08 pm; edited 5 times in total

Craig Bailey

Post  Posted 30 Sep 2019 11:18 am    

Travis that is so cool! I am very proud for you.

Craig
Telonics Amp, Stereo Steel, Fender Vibrasonic & many Telecasters (You can't have too many)

gary pierce

Rossville TN
Post  Posted 30 Sep 2019 1:27 pm    

Awesome rig! I want one.

David Gertschen

Phoenix, Arizona
Post  Posted 30 Sep 2019 5:00 pm    

Very nice!

Malcolm McMaster

Beith Ayrshire Scotland
Post  Posted 1 Oct 2019 10:34 am    

Travis, is that a standard 202 head, or is it modded for steel.?
MSA Millenium SD10, GK MB200, Sica 12inch cab, Joyo American Sound Pedal/ Jay Ganz Straight Ahead amp, Telonics 15inch in Peavey cab, Digitech RP150, Peterson tuner.Hilton volume pedal.Scott Dixon seat and guitar flight case.

Travis Toy

Nashville, TN, USA
Post  Posted 2 Oct 2019 8:31 pm    

Malcolm McMaster wrote:
Travis, is that a standard 202 head, or is it modded for steel.?

It is the standard 202. Which just happens to be amazing for steel.

-t

Malcolm McMaster

Beith Ayrshire Scotland
Post  Posted 3 Oct 2019 1:05 am    

Thanks Travis.
MSA Millenium SD10, GK MB200, Sica 12inch cab, Joyo American Sound Pedal/ Jay Ganz Straight Ahead amp, Telonics 15inch in Peavey cab, Digitech RP150, Peterson tuner.Hilton volume pedal.Scott Dixon seat and guitar flight case.

Travis Toy

Nashville, TN, USA
Post  Posted 15 Oct 2019 4:09 pm    

Did a new walkthrough video today...

https://youtu.be/w_TDalVPFbU

-Travis

Stu Schulman

Ulster Park New Yawk (deceased)
Post  Posted 20 Oct 2019 4:44 am    

Travis,I just watched your YouTube walk through and was totally amazed at this amp cabinet setup,and the way that you explained it,so a knucklehead like myself could understand it...Thanks so much!!
Steeltronics Z-pickup,Desert Rose S-10 4+5,Desert Rose Keyless S-10 3+5... Mullen G2 S-10 3+5,Telonics 206 pickups,Telonics volume pedal.,Blanton SD -10,Emmons GS_10...Zirctone bar,Bill Groner Bar...any amp that isn't broken.Steel Seat.Com seats...Licking paint chips off of Chinese Toys since 1952.

Travis Toy

Nashville, TN, USA
Post  Posted 20 Oct 2019 8:27 am    

Stu Schulman wrote:
Travis,I just watched your YouTube walk through and was totally amazed at this amp cabinet setup,and the way that you explained it,so a knucklehead like myself could understand it...Thanks so much!!

Thanks Stu. I really want people to grasp just how unbelievably cool this thing is. Pictures don’t get it done.

-t

Ronald Ballister

New York, New York, USA
Post  Posted 25 Oct 2019 7:48 pm    

Is there a full demo of you playing through the combo amp?

Travis Toy

Nashville, TN, USA
Post  Posted 25 Oct 2019 8:39 pm    

Ronald Ballister wrote:
Is there a full demo of you playing through the combo amp?

Hey Ronald. Not yet. I'm currently on a 2 1/2 week Canadian run. I'm gonna try to get one done at some point coming up before too terribly long.

-t

John Lacey

Black Diamond, Alberta, Canada
Post  Posted 28 Oct 2019 9:10 am    

Are you playing Calgary on this tour?

Travis Toy

Nashville, TN, USA
Post  Posted 28 Oct 2019 9:19 am    

John Lacey wrote:
Are you playing Calgary on this tour?

Hey John. We flew into Calgary last Wednesday, but didn’t do a show there. Medicine Hat is as close as we got to there for a show.

-t

Jack Stoner

Kansas City, MO
Post  Posted 28 Oct 2019 10:54 am    

Got any amp settings you care to share.
Currently my TB202 is Bass 3 O'clock, Mid 12 O'clock and Treble 9 O'clock.

Ronald Ballister

New York, New York, USA
Post  Posted 28 Oct 2019 11:04 am    

Jack, how does it compare to your Nashville 112?

Travis Toy

Nashville, TN, USA
Post  Posted 28 Oct 2019 11:54 am    

Jack Stoner wrote:
Got any amp settings you care to share.
Currently my TB202 is Bass 3 O'clock, Mid 12 O'clock and Treble 9 O'clock.

Jack, settings are gonna vary pretty wildly depending on all of the other factors involved (speaker, cabinet, cables, pickups, volume pedal, hands, etc), but this is a picture of where it wound up on an overdub for Dann Huff the other day. Note, this is on the “vintage” voicing.

-t

Jack Stoner

Kansas City, MO
Post  Posted 29 Oct 2019 2:08 am    

Travis, that is close to mine. I used it on a job last night and a little tweaking and except for Bass I'm almost exactly like your Mid and Treble. I'm using a Telonics speaker in my Blockdock 12HD. I tried the stock Celestion and initially thought it would work but too much highs. I had a (broken in) Telonics so I'm using that instead in the Blockdock. I've commented before comparing the Telonics and the TT12 but to be truthful they are very similar and either one would do.

Here was what I wound up with last night on the first gig.

FWIW the screws that secure the Blockdock amp plate are standard Rack Screws (10-32). Murphy's Law says one or both screws are going to go missing sometime.

In response to the how it compares to a NV112. The TB202 is more "Fenderish" and a lot cleaner.

Ronald Ballister

New York, New York, USA
Post  Posted 3 Nov 2019 3:50 pm    

Been reading through the couple of hundred posts on the Forum for both Quilter and Milkman while I wait for a full demo of that Travis Toy amp, which sounds really interesting. Continuing to research something relatively light in weight that still sounds good. On the Milkman side it might be some combination of The Amp and one of his cabs. As there aren't any real reviews or extensive demos yet of the Travis Toy 12 I started to read comments about the Steelaire. After awhile I noticed that Forum members seemed to experience a lot of small problems when they bought the Steelaire. Nothing major, the sort of thing like bad pots which were readily corrected by Quilter. But in some cases an occasional Forum member noted that the amp had to be shipped back for the fix, which would seem like a giant hassle. All of this gave me some concern about Quilter's quality control. Haven't read those sort of comments about the Milkman amps.

Billy Murdoch

Glasgow, Scotland, U.K.
Post  Posted 4 Nov 2019 1:17 am    

I was using google to look for reviews om this amp and I read that it is made in China Is that correct?
I own the MB 200 which I thought was lacking the ability to alter the tone since I found that altering the settings did not make a lot of difference in the final sound However the amp has astounding tone and is probably the best sounding set up I have used.
I wonder if upgrading to the 202 would be a good idea for Me since it would give Me the ability to alter the sound and set it to My "cloth" ears thus reducing the tone I have at present with the 200. I,recently installed the double T speaker and there was an increased brightness in the overall sound I have used the amp twice on gigs since fitting the TT speaker and there is a marked improvement in the performance,

Jack Stoner

Kansas City, MO
Post  Posted 4 Nov 2019 3:05 am    

The Tone Block 202 is a new version of proven amps (e.g. 200, 101, 101R, etc). No track record on reliability but I don't see anyone posting any problems on the Quilter Facebook page. Before the TB202, I've had other Quilters and no hardware (equipment) problems. Considering other brands, such as Peavey including the Nashville 112, are also made in China and no one is zapping them for reliability. Quilter is using their established "QSC" brand production facilities for their production.

I bought the TB202 for steel but also to have for use with my Telecaster. I have an MB200 that my wife uses with rhythm guitar and its OK but not for lead guitar.

I can't compare to the Milkman as I've never seen or heard one.

Billy Murdoch

Glasgow, Scotland, U.K.
Post  Posted 6 Nov 2019 1:07 am    

I posted earlier that I am presently using an MB 200 I made an error I am using a Tone Block 200.I have been well informed that I would not really need to upgrade to the 202 unless I particularly wanted the extra controls. I am very well pleased with the Tone Block 200,best result I have ever had.

Johnny Cox

Williamsom WVA, raised in Nashville TN, Lives in Hallettsville Texas
Post  Posted 18 Nov 2019 7:20 pm    

I tried it today. Best new amp out there.