The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  WTB recording equipment for home use.
Jack Musgrave

Springfield, Missouri, USA
Post  Posted 30 Oct 2019 11:23 am    

Looking for something to use around the house to record with. can be older technology as long as it is in good useable shape and reasonable priced. prefer at least 8 track.

David Graves

Indiana, USA
Post  Posted 31 Oct 2019 8:22 am    

Jack.. I’m sending you a PM.

Douglas Schuch

Valencia, Philippines
Post  Posted 31 Oct 2019 3:41 pm    

I'm not selling anything, but will suggest you look at the Zoom R16 recorder - it records up to 8 tracks, can mix/play back up to 16, records as WAV files (the standard used on commercial CD's), and does it at CD quality with 0 noise. You can then load the files into your computer for editing using any software that edits WAV files - I've used Audacity, which is free. It can run on batteries if you want a light, convenient portable package, or on the supplied AC power cord.

About the only negative is the interface is a little complex. I find that, if I have not used it in a while, I need to watch a good youtube video on it to get it figured out again. The manual is not great. I should probably just write out my own instructions next time I need to figure it out! You can transfer a backing track to it's memory (SD cards) and assign it to a track (or two, if stereo), then play to the backing track using headphones, and mix the backing track into the final mix. Or, play to a track and NOT use it in the final mix, if you prefer.

New, they are under $400 (Amazon, among other sellers) and used in good shape at $250. Mine has been around the world (half way packed onto my sailboat, then in my backpack when I returned to the Philippines), yet still works flawlessly, so I'd rate them good for durability.

They can handle high-Z or low-Z inputs, can provide phantom power for active mics - pretty much does everything you could want for an 8-track recorder.

Doug Earnest

Branson, MO USA
Post  Posted 3 Nov 2019 3:27 pm    

I've got just what you need Jack, I sent you an email with my phone

DALE WHITENER

TRINITY,NC USA
Post  Posted 3 Nov 2019 5:51 pm    

Email sent