The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Goto page 1, 2  Next
Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Red Rhodes - Unearthed LIVE performance from 1973
Joe Alterio

Irvington, Indiana
Post  Posted 29 Oct 2019 7:20 pm    

All,

I am pleased to announce that a professionally recorded concert of Michael Nesmith with Red Rhodes is being released in the coming weeks.

In January 1973, Red recorded his landmark pedal steel instrumental album, "Velvet Hammer in a Cowboy Band." A few months later, the same band would work together on Nesmith's final RCA album, "Pretty Much Your Standard Ranch Stash." This album, "Cosmic Partners - The McCabe's Tapes" comes on the heels of those recordings, using the same rhythm section of Colin Cameron and David Lane.

Red is as much a focus of this set as Nesmith is. Nesmith speaks with Red often during the show and Red is afforded no less than three instrumentals, "Poinciana," "Crippled Lion" (both from "Velvet Hammer") and "Rose City Chimes" (the Bobby Garrett tune that happened to be Red's then-wife Dana's favorite).

This live set ranks up there with the live shows of Neil Flanz/Gram Parsons and Lloyd Green/Charley Pride when it comes to perfection in pedal steel accompaniment.

Without a doubt, this is one of the best releases of the year. You can pre-order the CD here and the picture disc vinyl here.

Last edited by Joe Alterio on 30 Oct 2019 8:30 am; edited 1 time in total

K Maul

Hadley, NY/Hobe Sound, FL
Post  Posted 29 Oct 2019 8:27 pm    

That’s a favorite Nesmith period for me. Thanks for that info!
Kevin Maul: Airline, Beard, Clinesmith, Decophonic, Evans, Excel, Fender, Fluger, Gibson, Hilton, Ibanez, Justice, K+K, Live Strings, MOYO, National, Oahu, Peterson, Quilter, Rickenbacher, Sho~Bud, Supro, TC, Ultimate, VHT, Williams, X-otic, Yamaha, ZKing.

Bill Sinclair

Waynesboro, PA, USA
Post  Posted 30 Oct 2019 5:19 am    

Will there be a digital download version? Any sort of info booklet with the CD? I'm not particularly knowledgeable about the early country rock scene but I love Red Rhodes on everything I've heard him on. Thanks for the heads up.

John Macy

Rockport TX/Denver CO
Post  Posted 30 Oct 2019 7:19 am    

Ordered!!

Pete Finney

Nashville Tn.
Post  Posted 30 Oct 2019 8:18 am    

I've been listening to an advance copy of this for a few months and it's absolutely essential listening for Red fans. There are a lot of funny Nesmith raps which really capture the flavor of the times, but I believe they're indexed separately from the music on the CD so you can also just listen to the music if you want (after you've heard the raps a few times).

I haven't seen the CD booklet yet, but I know Nez wrote quite a bit (which is bound to be entertaining; he's got a million great Red stories) and in a previous thread Joe says he wrote a bio of Red that's also a part of the booklet. I look forward to reading that.

Joe Alterio

Irvington, Indiana
Post  Posted 30 Oct 2019 8:24 am    

Bill Sinclair wrote:
Will there be a digital download version? Any sort of info booklet with the CD? I'm not particularly knowledgeable about the early country rock scene but I love Red Rhodes on everything I've heard him on. Thanks for the heads up.

I am unsure if or when a digital download will be available - I have seen the booklet and it is jam packed with pictures of Nesmith and Red from 73, both in the studio and live. In includes liner notes from Nez as well as a an extensive (5 page) bio on Red penned by yours truly, leveraging info from my interview with Red's then-wife Dana Rhodes, as well period research and Tom Bradshaw's excellent writeup from the mid-'70s when he reissued the "Velvet Hammer" album.

The SOUND of this release is amazing, and the band is stellar. Red's playing here advances on from his work on the Nesmith solo albums and really becomes a seminar on how to play and back up a singer while alternating as a lead instrument.

Aris Xanthos

Switzerland
Post  Posted 1 Nov 2019 11:26 am    

Having recently discovered the First National Band albums and fallen in love with them (including Red Rhodes steel work, obviously), I really wish this new release would ship to Switzerland!

Joe Alterio

Irvington, Indiana
Post  Posted 2 Nov 2019 9:58 am    

Aris Xanthos wrote:
Having recently discovered the First National Band albums and fallen in love with them (including Red Rhodes steel work, obviously), I really wish this new release would ship to Switzerland!

You can order it amazon.de, amazon.fr or amazon.co.uk and any of those should still ship to Switzerland.

Bill Sinclair

Waynesboro, PA, USA
Post  Posted 2 Nov 2019 10:30 am    

Ordered. Looking forward to the music and the write-up.

David Weisenthal

Arizona, USA
Post  Posted 2 Nov 2019 11:08 am    

Too unusual to pass up. I will be ordering. Its a picture disk....

Aris Xanthos

Switzerland
Post  Posted 2 Nov 2019 10:44 pm    

Joe Alterio wrote:
You can order it amazon.de, amazon.fr or amazon.co.uk and any of those should still ship to Switzerland.

Awesome, will do!

Pete Finney

Nashville Tn.
Post  Posted 14 Nov 2019 10:35 am    

Got my copy of the actual release a few weeks ago. The Red Rhodes bio in the booklet notes is really well done.

Great job, Joe!

Ben Elder

La Crescenta, California, USA
Post  Posted 14 Nov 2019 1:44 pm    

Joe Alterio

Irvington, Indiana
Post  Posted 15 Nov 2019 2:27 pm    

Pete Finney wrote:
Got my copy of the actual release a few weeks ago. The Red Rhodes bio in the booklet notes is really well done.

Great job, Joe!

That means a lot coming from you, Pete - thank you!

Glenn Suchan

Austin, Texas
Post  Posted 18 Nov 2019 3:57 pm    

If you can find it, the multi-CD recording, from 1974 The Amazing Zigzag Cocert is great. Disc 5 of the set is the concert performance of that dynamic duo, Michael Nesmith and Red Rhodes. Acoustic guitar and vocals supported by superb steel guitar.

Here's a track from that set:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bany2-9u7Fg

Keep on pickin'!
Glenn

David Langdon

West Bridgford, Nottingham Notts, United Kingdom
Post  Posted 19 Nov 2019 2:11 pm    

Just got my copy of this. It's a great recording and really shows how Red and Nez blended together. Great information about Red too. There's a rare photo of him playing the ZB that he put his keyless tuner head on and took to the UK where he left it. I'd love to find a way of playing his solo on 'Silver Moon' can't find a way even on a uni 12. Thanks to all involved in resurrecting this gem.

Joachim Kettner

Germany
Post  Posted 21 Nov 2019 8:50 am    

Quote:
Great information about Red too.

Indeed. But I was surprised that the article was authored by Joe Alterio himself.
I got the CD in the mail today... I wait till the weekend to give it a listen.

Joe Alterio

Irvington, Indiana
Post  Posted 23 Nov 2019 4:15 pm    

This is now available worldwide! It's on CD and vinyl, and features some of the BEST pedal steel playing Red ever laid down.

I really can't recommend this enough. Here's a sampler:
https://youtu.be/yGS0hKjjalY

Joe

Jonathan Shacklock

London, UK
Post  Posted 30 Nov 2019 10:57 am    

I’m listening to the vinyl version now. Red and Nez sound fantastic! I was more than a little disappointed your liner notes weren’t included with the picture disc Joe Crying or Very sad. Presumably a budgetary decision and obviously not your call but... any chance you could PM me a digital copy if you have one on file please?

tom anderson

leawood, ks., usa
Post  Posted 30 Nov 2019 3:08 pm    

Ditto. This is an essential Red Rhodes recording. Glad I got the vinyl.

tom anderson

leawood, ks., usa
Post  Posted 30 Nov 2019 3:10 pm    

Ditto. This is an essential Red Rhodes recording. Glad I got the vinyl.
Actually I posted this before the last track “Silver Moon” finished and the record went kablooey and rejected?? So maybe be steer away from the vinyl.

tom anderson

leawood, ks., usa
Post  Posted 1 Dec 2019 7:20 am    

Well after listening to side two again I think the album is ok and the abrupt end may be one of Michael Nesmith’s cosmic jokes. Besides the side two picture disc is totally worth it! Buy the vinyl.

Joe Alterio

Irvington, Indiana
Post  Posted 1 Dec 2019 8:48 am    

Jonathan Shacklock wrote:
I’m listening to the vinyl version now. Red and Nez sound fantastic! I was more than a little disappointed your liner notes weren’t included with the picture disc Joe Crying or Very sad. Presumably a budgetary decision and obviously not your call but... any chance you could PM me a digital copy if you have one on file please?

Check your PM, Jonathan Smile

tom anderson wrote:
Well after listening to side two again I think the album is ok and the abrupt end may be one of Michael Nesmith’s cosmic jokes.

I suspect the person that recorded the show erroneously stopped the tape early - that or the person that originally dubbed this from the master reel made a goof-up. Believe it or not, Nez had no idea this show existed until about a year ago!

Jonathan Shacklock

London, UK
Post  Posted 1 Dec 2019 10:49 am    

Thanks Joe! Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy

David Langdon

West Bridgford, Nottingham Notts, United Kingdom
Post  Posted 2 Dec 2019 12:51 pm    

If you read the booklet it says the tape ran out during Silver Moon, this is why it stops as it does.