The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Morley Volume Pedal
Dom Franco

Beaverton, OR, 97007
Post  Posted 1 Nov 2019 7:46 am    

I have used many different volume pedals over the years, I got tired of breaking and replacing the pot strings, potentiometers. I don't like having to run a power cable to a volume pedal either... So I bought a Morley Volume pedal a few years ago. It takes a standard nine volt battery, so I figured I would see how long it would last. (I always carry spare batteries, and I even carry spare volume pedals in my car)

I really like the little red power light telling me the battery was still working, and the pedal has a min-volume control so I can set it just perfectly to barely on at the heel down position.

Well it finally happened... The battery died, and the signal became distorted.(but the red led was still on!) It lasted over 2 years and I used it a lot. At least 6 hours a week. (I was always careful to unplug the guitar cables when not in use, because that turns off the battery LED.)

With the new battery installed I was surprised how much more volume I had available, so over time I must have turned my amp up to compensate.

Bottom Line: I can highly recommend a Morley Volume pedal for trouble free operation. Just change the battery every 2 years or so.

Wink Dom

Larry Dering

Missouri, USA
Post  Posted 1 Nov 2019 2:49 pm    

Dom, I have an old 70s Morley volume pedal with a boost switch and wah. It's a 110v plug in job but still works fine. I'm not crazy about the sweep but it's a die hard pedal.

Dom Franco

Beaverton, OR, 97007
Post  Posted 1 Nov 2019 3:25 pm    

Larry, I had an old 110v plug in Morley back in the 70's too.
The new ones are better, and the optical resistor seems to have a better taper. What I like is basically no parts to wear out... no strings, no gears, no potentiometers. I suppose the electronic components could fail someday, everything will eventually break down.

I can adjust the "taper" by where I set the minimum volume knob. I don't like it to go completely silent when I back off the pedal. And I seem to have plenty of travel left before full volume.

Larry Dering

Missouri, USA
Post  Posted 1 Nov 2019 5:08 pm    

Dom, cool. Thanks for that information. I will have a look. Do you use it for pedal steel too? My old one was too big for that.

Greg Lambert

Illinois, USA
Post  Posted 2 Nov 2019 7:20 am    

I bought a Morley light pedal years ago but have never made it to the lake to use it as a boat anchor.

Erv Niehaus

Litchfield, MN, USA
Post  Posted 2 Nov 2019 7:33 am    

I had a Goodrich pedal at one time that ran on 110 volts.
I sent it in for some service work and they wouldn't return it, they gave me credit on another pedal.
It seems that some players were getting shocks from the 110 volt pedal. It was a liability issue. Whoa!
Erv

Dom Franco

Beaverton, OR, 97007
Post  Posted 2 Nov 2019 10:26 am    

Yes The Morley pedal works for my Shobud LDG pedal steel as well, although some players may have longer legs than me. (I'm 5'10") I might not fit under it with high heels (cowboy boots)...

I actually have 2 Morely Volume pedals one Mini- and one full size. Both work great and are not too big for Pedal Steel.