The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Goto page 1, 2  Next
Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Pedal steel in a different context....
Al Evans

Austin, Texas, USA
Post  Posted 31 Oct 2019 1:09 pm    

I bet you never saw a Fessenden pedal steel used like this!

https://vimeo.com/367350121

--Al Evans

Paul Norman

Washington, North Carolina, USA
Post  Posted 31 Oct 2019 3:01 pm    

It is different. I didn't say I liked it. But cowbells aren't bad in the right place.

Richard Sinkler

aka: Rusty Strings -- Missoula, Montana
Post  Posted 31 Oct 2019 3:26 pm    

Interesting. I actually enjoyed it. Wikipedia says it's Ed William's on PSG.

Dennis Brion

Atwater, Ohio USA
Post  Posted 31 Oct 2019 5:13 pm    

Punk steel guitar, I was waiting for him to smash it on the floor at the end very different!

Rick Barnhart

Arizona, USA
Post  Posted 31 Oct 2019 6:18 pm    

Somebody’s been watchin’ Rusty Young...

Bob Carlucci

Candor, New York, USA
Post  Posted 31 Oct 2019 7:53 pm    

Guys a good player,,, Actually quite a good band all the way around.. The bass player/drummer/ percussionist are really solid.. they lay down a big thick groove that you can walk across... I like them... bob

no gear list for me.. you don't have the time......

b0b

Cloverdale, CA, USA
Post  Posted 31 Oct 2019 10:03 pm     👍👍

Dennis Brion wrote:
Punk steel guitar, I was waiting for him to smash it on the floor at the end very different!

Punk? I don't think so. To my ear it's straight up rock. More echo on the steel than I would ever use - 3 repeats? Still, he's very good and it's great to see steel featured as the lead instrument in a rock song. Very Happy

Frank Freniere

The First Coast
Post  Posted 1 Nov 2019 4:27 am    

Loved it.

Undoubtedly influenced by Robert Randolph.

K Maul

Hadley, NY/Hobe Sound, FL
Post  Posted 1 Nov 2019 4:39 am    

Even though he’s not doing an Emmons, Chalker or Anderson thing he’s a featured instrument in this pretty modern style song. That is a good thing for pedal steel, showing versatility. I like that it is out in front, too, not placed back behind the keyboards on a riser.
Kevin Maul: Airline, Beard, Clinesmith, Decophonic, Evans, Excel, Fender, Fluger, Gibson, Hilton, Ibanez, Justice, K+K, Live Strings, MOYO, National, Oahu, Peterson, Quilter, Rickenbacher, Sho~Bud, Supro, TC, Ultimate, VHT, Williams, X-otic, Yamaha, ZKing.

Jon Light

Saugerties, NY
Post  Posted 1 Nov 2019 5:06 am    

That's really really good. He is dead-on solid. Nothing 'experimental'. He's put in his experimenting hours so that he can come to the stage and know exactly what he's doing and present it as music.

Richard Sinkler

aka: Rusty Strings -- Missoula, Montana
Post  Posted 1 Nov 2019 5:13 am     Re: 👍👍

b0b wrote:
Dennis Brion wrote:

Punk? I don't think so. To my ear it's straight up rock. More echo on the steel than I would ever use - 3 repeats? Still, he's very good and it's great to see steel featured as the lead instrument in a rock song. Very Happy

While I am not a big fan of delay, I think his use (or overuse?) was perfect for this song. I plan on checking out some more of their stuff.

Mike Bacciarini

Arizona
Post  Posted 1 Nov 2019 6:30 am    

Does remind me of Rusty Young. What ever fit the song, weather country steel, raging slide, B3, or ? Lots of body English.... wish there were more vids of early Poco with Russ “in action”.
MCI Arlington S-10 3+5, George L E-66, BJS & Emmons bars, Fender Princeton 65W, Fender Satellite SFX, custom FX rack, 1983 Dobro 60D, SX-8 lap steel, Martin D16GT, Ibanez AS73, 1978 Rickenbacker 4000 custom.

Franklin

Post  Posted 1 Nov 2019 6:34 am    

I believe the music world is looking for more players pushing the instrument forward and staying current with Pop trends....I hear this song as a pop/rock setting. The steel is mimicking the U2 / Coldplay rhythmic delay approach typically heard from guitarists with a little Sacred steel slide style inserted, and his Rusty Young style showmanship sold it visually....What he chose to play was spot on for the gig.

Lee Baucum

McAllen, Texas (Extreme South) The Final Frontier
Post  Posted 1 Nov 2019 6:47 am    

Quote:
...players pushing the instrument forward...

Well, he certainly has that move mastered. He did it quite a few times!

Winking

John McClung

Olympia WA, USA
Post  Posted 1 Nov 2019 11:02 am    

Wow! I dig this, and without guys playing like that in other genres, steel guitar is a dead dinosaur. Well, dying a slow death of cultural irrelevancy, at least...

Donny Hinson

Glen Burnie, Md. U.S.A.
Post  Posted 1 Nov 2019 2:58 pm    

Franklin wrote:
I believe the music world is looking for more players pushing the instrument forward and staying current with Pop trends....I hear this song as a pop/rock setting. The steel is mimicking the U2 / Coldplay rhythmic delay approach typically heard from guitarists with a little Sacred steel slide style inserted, and his Rusty Young style showmanship sold it visually....What he chose to play was spot on for the gig.

No arguments there! Pedal steel can do so much stuff that's "out-of-the-box", but the artists and producers rarely give them the chance. Part of this is convention, and part is that most pedal steelers don't really care for it. It does require imagination and a willingness to experiment, though.

Jerry Horch

Alva, Florida, USA
Post  Posted 1 Nov 2019 3:58 pm     Wow

I do like the song...creative playing

Last edited by Jerry Horch on 2 Nov 2019 11:13 am; edited 1 time in total

Jim Norman

Virginia, USA
Post  Posted 1 Nov 2019 7:55 pm    

I really enjoyed this. Thanks for posting.

Stu Schulman

Ulster Park New Yawk (deceased)
Post  Posted 2 Nov 2019 1:43 am    

Love It!!
Steeltronics Z-pickup,Desert Rose S-10 4+5,Desert Rose Keyless S-10 3+5... Mullen G2 S-10 3+5,Telonics 206 pickups,Telonics volume pedal.,Blanton SD -10,Emmons GS_10...Zirctone bar,Bill Groner Bar...any amp that isn't broken.Steel Seat.Com seats...Licking paint chips off of Chinese Toys since 1952.

Dave Hepworth

West Yorkshire, UK
Post  Posted 2 Nov 2019 5:30 am    

Brilliant ,really enjoyed this.The steel was right there up in the mix and totally relevant.Thought the use of the delay was really clever and suited the song.We need more of this to maintain and raise the instruments profile .

Dick Wood

Springtown Texas, USA
Post  Posted 2 Nov 2019 7:32 am    

Not my typical kind of music but the guy is inventive and plays what fits the song to a tee. Good work whoever you are.

Mike Daly

Tennessee
Post  Posted 2 Nov 2019 8:38 am    

Enjoyed that. Thanks so much for posting. So much music, so little time..

Damir Besic

Nashville,TN.
Post  Posted 2 Nov 2019 12:51 pm    

this was really good, I really enjoyed it, thank you for posting ...

Jerry Overstreet

Louisville Ky
Post  Posted 2 Nov 2019 1:27 pm    

This band, The Revivalists, is scheduled for airing tonight 1:00 am on Austin City Limits on my local PBS station. You might check your local station for times if interested.

Maybe get to see more of Ed on pedal steel in this rock setting.

If I read the listing correctly, this video in Al's link was a bonus and will not be seen in the PBS ACL airing in that time frame.

I long for the day that pedal steel in this style won't be considered by many as unusual, rather as being accepted as a part of the music just like any other instrument.

Players like Ed and bands like this utilizing it, go a long way to making that happen.

David Mitchell

Tyler, Texas
Post  Posted 3 Nov 2019 12:52 am    

I think it is pure genius. A pedal steel is a musical instrument. It doesn't necessarily have to whine and cry all the time. Healthy for steel guitar sales too and keeping the instrument alive and on stage.