Author Topic:  Sticky finger for finger picks
Steven Bowen

Utah, USA
Post  Posted 23 Oct 2019 10:22 pm    

Looking for sticky fingers for finger picks

Roger Rettig

Naples, FL
Post  Posted 24 Oct 2019 4:35 am    

I've never found anything that works better than a brief lick of my fingertips. Smile

Jerry Overstreet

Louisville Ky
Post  Posted 24 Oct 2019 7:17 am    

There was a product branded Sticky Picks marketed by steeler Wayne Hobbs, but I don't find it available anywhere now.

Dunlop products like Gorilla Snot and Pick Honey work really well. I've used Gorilla Snot for years.

If you have access to a pine or other conifer, you can usually harvest some of that resin which will work just as well. Just be careful to put it only on the tips of your fingers...if you get it anywhere else, it's more harm than good.

Probably should post this over in Wanted to Buy or maybe steel players board.

Erv Niehaus

Litchfield, MN, USA
Post  Posted 24 Oct 2019 7:44 am    

George McLellan

Duluth, MN USA
Post  Posted 25 Oct 2019 1:26 pm     Yes

I agree with Roger, and besides that, I don’t have to try and remember where I left it.
Geo

James Wishart

Rhode Island
Post  Posted 26 Oct 2019 4:29 am    

Roger certainly has the most cost effective solution. I never thought of it. I sometimes use a drop of maple syrup. Works great, and is sweet, too!

Patrick Huey

Nacogdoches, Texas, USA
Post  Posted 26 Oct 2019 5:00 am    

Jerry Overstreet wrote:
There was a product branded Sticky Picks marketed by steeler Wayne Hobbs, but I don't find it available anywhere now.

Dunlop products like Gorilla Snot and Pick Honey work really well. I've used Gorilla Snot for years.

If you have access to a pine or other conifer, you can usually harvest some of that resin which will work just as well. Just be careful to put it only on the tips of your fingers...if you get it anywhere else, it's more harm than good.

Probably should post this over in Wanted to Buy or maybe steel players board.

Jerry
Sticky Picks is still very available
http://www.sticky-picks.com
Pre RP Mullen D10 8/7, Zum 3/4, Carter S-10 3/4, previous Cougar SD-10 3/4 & GFI S-10 3/4, Fender Steel King, 2 Peavey Session 500's, Peavey Nashville 400, Boss DD-3, Profex-II, Hilton Digital Sustain, '88 Les Paul Custom,Epiphone MBIBG J-45, Fender Strat & Tele's, Takamine acoustics, Marshall amps, Boss effects, Ibanez Tube Screamer, and it all started with an old cranky worn out Kay acoustic you could slide a Mack truck between the strings and fretboard on!!

Patrick Huey

Nacogdoches, Texas, USA
Post  Posted 26 Oct 2019 5:04 am     Re: Sticky finger for finger picks

Steven Bowen wrote:
Looking for sticky fingers for finger picks

Steven
http://www.sticky-picks.com
Pre RP Mullen D10 8/7, Zum 3/4, Carter S-10 3/4, previous Cougar SD-10 3/4 & GFI S-10 3/4, Fender Steel King, 2 Peavey Session 500's, Peavey Nashville 400, Boss DD-3, Profex-II, Hilton Digital Sustain, '88 Les Paul Custom,Epiphone MBIBG J-45, Fender Strat & Tele's, Takamine acoustics, Marshall amps, Boss effects, Ibanez Tube Screamer, and it all started with an old cranky worn out Kay acoustic you could slide a Mack truck between the strings and fretboard on!!

Patrick Huey

Nacogdoches, Texas, USA
Post  Posted 26 Oct 2019 5:06 am    

I love Sticky Picks the stuff works great. They used to make a huge Texas sized bottle of it but went to selling only the small ones. Sell more that way I reckon as one of the big ones would last YEARS LOL

Jerry Overstreet

Louisville Ky
Post  Posted 26 Oct 2019 6:15 am    

I found that page Patrick, but when you click on the order button it comes up as a 404 page not found. Also Amazon and the other former sources I know of show it as not available.

If you know of another source, please post it here for us.

...or if someone here knows Wayne, maybe they can contact him directly.

Jack Ritter

Enid, Oklahoma, USA
Post  Posted 26 Oct 2019 7:58 am    

A shot of quick set hair spray will do a good job. Lighntly Spray the finger tips and put them on just before it sets up dry.

Patrick Huey

Nacogdoches, Texas, USA
Post  Posted 26 Oct 2019 3:45 pm    

Jerry Overstreet wrote:
I found that page Patrick, but when you click on the order button it comes up as a 404 page not found. Also Amazon and the other former sources I know of show it as not available.

Jerry
Elderly Instruments has it
https://www.elderly.com/products/sticky-picks-solution

Patrick Huey

Nacogdoches, Texas, USA
Post  Posted 26 Oct 2019 3:47 pm    

Jerry Overstreet wrote:

Banjo.com as well
https://banjo.com/product/sticky-picks/

Patrick Huey

Nacogdoches, Texas, USA
Post  Posted 28 Oct 2019 6:11 am    

I contacted Wayne Hobbs, the maker of Sticky Picks, and he confirmed it is still being made and very much available through Steel Guitars of Nashville
https://www.steelguitarsofnashville.com/product/sticky-picks/

John N Norris

Georgia, USA
Post  Posted 31 Oct 2019 4:26 pm     Sticky picks

One of the best things that I have found is the children’s glue stick that you can find at any Walmart store. It just looks like a tube of chap stick. Holds very good, small enough to carry in your pocket. Washes off very easy. It is found where the paper, pencils, and the other school supplies are. It also comes in a larger tube. It is very cheap on the price.

Hope this helps.

John

Richard Lotspeich

North Georgia
Post  Posted 31 Oct 2019 4:35 pm     sticky

Glue stick,,powdered or liquid rosin,,licking,,,all work.

Keith Bolog

Wisconsin, USA
Post  Posted 20 Nov 2019 11:06 am     Sport Grip RX

NFG - for catching footballs maybe, but I still had the picks slip off when very dry