The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Larry Petree
steinar

Finneidfjord, Norway
Post  Posted 16 Aug 2013 6:16 am    

While visiting Bakersfield last weekend, I had the opportunity to get lessons from Larry and also invaluable help in getting an old ZB fixed in time for a gig.
Larry plays B6 in addition to E9, and it was a delight listening to his smooth, classic style of playing.
He has - amongst others - backed Hank Thompson, been Red Simpson`s steel player for years, he was even Buck Owens`steel player for a while in 1961 - before
they were named the Buckaroos, and he`s even had the Hag as bass player in one of his bands!
Larry used to jam with Tom Brumley and Don Rich in Tom`s garage in Bakersfield, and it was so very enjoyable listening to him reminisce about those good ole days.
And when Tom`s wife Rolene Brumley joined, sitting listening to the two of them sharing memories of Bakersfield musicians from the sixties, brought yours truly to Shangri-la and beyond!

Mark Carlisle

Springville CA
Post  Posted 16 Aug 2013 7:23 am    

Larry is fantastic. He helped me get this MCI #1003 back on the stage. He was the original owner. He also inspired this player to get back into steel after several years away. I enjoy every minute spent with Larry. BTW I think that is a A6maj7 tuning on the back neck-he changed the MCI over to it for me.
Larry is the best!

Steven Finley

California, USA
Post  Posted 23 Aug 2013 5:07 pm    

Larry,is a great steel player, a fine gentleman and
one of the all time nice guy musicians, Its been a honor to know Larry for maney years,he is always their to help out other steel players,oh and buy the way, Larry has more Class then anyone I have knowin in years from Bakersfield,lets just say he is a prince of a gentleman,keep pickin Larry.

Joel Martin

California, USA
Post  Posted 23 Aug 2013 8:10 pm    

Larry is THE BEST! Such a class act and great player!

DALE WHITENER

TRINITY,NC USA
Post  Posted 24 Aug 2013 4:21 am    

I bought an Emmons from Larry a few years back and he went out of his way to get it setup as I wanted. He called me numerous times to make sure he got it just right. The setup was awesome and still is. He's the best!
Dale

Ron Page

Penn Yan, NY USA
Post  Posted 24 Aug 2013 4:57 am    

I don't recall what year, but I met Larry at Scotty's when he and Norm Hamlet came there together. We became fast friends, talking about Hag and all, and have stayed in touch here and on e-mail over the years. Larry's a retired fireman. So he knows about laying it on the line. It's no surprise he's helped so many fellow players.

Larry Behm

Mt Angel, Or 97362
Post  Posted 24 Aug 2013 8:28 am    

I am going to stop by for lunch when I pass through Bakersfield in Nov. Larry has been a great friend.

Larry Behm

Phone: 971-219-8533

Randall Palmore

Albany,TX USA 76430
Post  Posted 24 Aug 2013 6:17 pm    

Larry is a great guy and player.. I meet him at the Dallas show years ago. I grew up in Oildale and needless to say, we hit off pretty good! Larry hope your doing well! Sure enjoyed the night at Trout's a few years back! Take care. Randall

Billy Woo

Los Angeles, CA, USA
Post  Posted 28 Aug 2013 6:22 am     Re: Larry Petree - Bakersfield, CA

Well add me to the list of friends and admirers of Larry, He sold me my last Miss Emmons Le Grandia II, a unique Black with Grey marble countertop also he fixed it to my personal copedant, Thanks Larry you are a special man in my world of pedal steel guitars.

Billy Woo aka
Bronco Billy Very Happy Very Happy

Duane Dunard

Troy, MO. U.S.A.
Post  Posted 28 Aug 2013 7:32 am    

I agree with all these previous comments about Larry. He is an absolute 1st.class gentleman!

Hook Moore

South Charleston,West Virginia
Post  Posted 28 Aug 2013 4:07 pm    

Duane Dunard wrote:
I agree with all these previous comments about Larry. He is an absolute 1st.class gentleman!

I totally agree !

Andy Sandoval

Bakersfield, California, USA
Post  Posted 29 Aug 2013 8:32 am    

Larry's got lots of friends on and off the Forum but it's no surprise to anyone that knows him. I'm proud to call Larry a friend too. We're hookin up in October for the Vince Gill and Paul Franklin concert here in Bakersfield.

John Walden

Simi Valley, California, USA
Post  Posted 1 Sep 2013 8:34 am     A Fine Gentleman

I took my first few lessons from Larry a number of years ago. Well worth the long drive from Camarillo. A great steel player, and a fine gentleman, indeed ! His wonderful wife is a great artist, as well !

All the best Larry,

J. W.

Rains SD-10
Emmons SD-12 PP
Sho-Bud LDG
Fender Twin w/ JBL's
Mesa Boogie Mark IV x 2
Peavey 112 w/Knob-Guards x 2

Larry Petree

Bakersfield. Ca. USA
Post  Posted 1 Sep 2013 12:57 pm     Many thanks

Many thanks to all for your kind words and compliments. I am very grateful to be a part of the brotherhood of pedal steel guitar players.

Gary Walker

Morro Bay, CA
Post  Posted 1 Sep 2013 5:47 pm    

Larry retired from the Fire Dept where everything is spic and span and Larry is that way with his life. A visit to his workshop, gives the impression that it's just for looks and appears no work is ever done. Not so, He never leaves a mess after a job and you could almost eat off of the floor. (If you are so inclined)
He's a real talent and gentleman and it's been way too long since I visted him. (My loss, after all, it takes over two hours to drive there)

Herb Steiner

Spicewood TX 78669
Post  Posted 1 Sep 2013 9:02 pm    

It's a pleasure to read a thread honoring a good friend! Smile

Son, we live in a world with walls, and those walls have to be guarded by men with steel guitars. Who's gonna do it? You? You, Lt. Weinberg?

Mike DiAlesandro

Kent, Ohio
Post  Posted 6 Oct 2019 6:12 am    

I received this Zumsteel from Larry Petree. Boy, did he ever do a great job refurbishing and setting up this guitar for me.

It looks basically brand new, and plays like butter, and sounds even better. Thanks, Larry for all your hard work to get this just right.

Larry is the definition of a class act!

Mike D

Steven Bowen

Utah, USA
Post  Posted 24 Oct 2019 3:32 pm     Larry petree

Larry petree is a great guy and fine pedal steeler.i met larry while working a pipeline job in Bakersfield. Use to sit in at Troits when Larry and Red played there on Monday nights.
Bought a BMI s10 from larry.was going to take lessons the next week but was transferred. Never got my lesson. I emailed larry 10 years later and he remembered me. Great guy. Honest and straight shooter

Fred Treece

California, USA
Post  Posted 24 Oct 2019 8:01 pm    

I didn’t know Larry from Adam 3 years ago, but I found myself playing guitar next to him in a band that was cobbled together for the memorial of a former band mate of mine. Needless to say, I was floored by his playing. I had to ask my drummer friend about him and he gave me as much of the story as he knew, which was plenty but probably only a drop in the bucket. Mr. Petree, it was an honor and privilege to meet and play alongside you.

Larry King

Watts, Oklahoma, USA
Post  Posted 25 Oct 2019 4:40 am    

He's my other Brother !!!!!!

Stu Schulman

Ulster Park New Yawk (deceased)
Post  Posted 25 Oct 2019 5:52 am    

A few years ago when I was living in Anchorage Alaska,I bought a little Dekley S-10 from Larry,It showed up just perfect and has since wound up with young guns Aaron Benolkin,and now in the hands of Leo Storm Ash...I met Larry on a shuttle from the airport to the hotel in Mesa years ago just for a moment,An absolute gem of a person!
Steeltronics Z-pickup,Desert Rose S-10 4+5,Desert Rose Keyless S-10 3+5... Mullen G2 S-10 3+5,Telonics 206 pickups,Telonics volume pedal.,Blanton SD -10,Emmons GS_10...Zirctone bar,Bill Groner Bar...any amp that isn't broken.Steel Seat.Com seats...Licking paint chips off of Chinese Toys since 1952.