The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Speaking of Doyle Grisham ...
Frank Freniere

The First Coast
Post  Posted 19 Oct 2019 5:02 am    

From “Jimmy Buffett – A Good Life All The Way” by Ryan White.

Born in 1942, Grisham grew up outside Temple, Texas, picked up the guitar when he was eight or nine, and never quit. He got to Nashville in 1966 and made it to the Opry stage before moving to Maine in the fall of 1967. That wasn’t a career decision. He was in the navy. Discharged from active duty in late 1968, he hit the road with David Houston, whose “Almost Persuaded” had been a number-one country hit in 1966. Houston had a top-ten hit in 1968 with "Already It’s Heaven.’’

In 1970, Grisham went to work for the Glaser Brothers. “That’s when I got into doing studio work real heavily,” he says. Tompall and the Glaser Brothers had a publishing business, and so demos of songs had to be produced and shopped. Then they’d work on their own albums. That’s how Grisham met Buffett. The Glaser Brothers were recording “The Christian?” and “Tin Cup Chalice“ - probably the second song Buffett wrote after getting a look at Key West.

“Buffett was just hanging out ‘cause he wrote the song,” Grisham says. “That was kind of the norm in those days. The writer would show up to watch the session.” During a break, they were sitting around and Buffett asked Grisham if he’d play on his record when the time came. “I said. ‘Sure,’” Grisham says. “What the hell? I didn’t know him from Adam and everyone was always telling you things, but that came true.”

George Duncan Sypert

Colo Spgs, Co, USA
Post  Posted 19 Oct 2019 10:00 am     Doyle Grisham

I don't know exactly when Doyle Grisham started messing around with a guitar but, I do know for a fact that he and I were taking guitar lessons from Glenn Webster in Temple Texas in 1953. I was 12 and Doyle had just turned 11. By the time he was 14 or so he was the best standard guitar player in the area. Doyle was a natural to the guitar because he studied and practiced to all hours of the night. He was playing with local bands on stage when he was about 14. We played together at the VA Hospital trying to entertain the in house WW II vets and Korea Vets starting in about 1957. It was a great training venue for us kids. My uncle Robert Sypert was a patient there.

In about 58 or 59, Doyle, myself and Augie (Gus) Barba were playing local bars as a trio. Some of the best times of our life. In 1960 we were all in the Bill Wayne band all of us teenagers. It was a six piece band with a bus playing in south and Central Texas mostly.

I talk with Doyle often as he and I are still best friends. My respect and admiration for Doyle is over the top. Still the same person he was in 1950's in every way. As a young man I made frequent visits to his family's home near Troy Texas. He came from a great family that supported his musical ambitions in every way.

Doyle made his way to the place we all thought we wanted to go. Gus was just as successful in his endeavors, just in a different way. I will remember the good times I had with these two fellows to my grave.

If you look on facebook for Gus Barba's page you see a photo of us in the Bill Wayne band from 1960. Lou Rochelle is also in that picture who wrote "Still a Lot of Love in San Antone".

Thanks Frank for posting his info on Doyle Grisham.

Frank Freniere

The First Coast
Post  Posted 19 Oct 2019 10:50 am    

That was great - thanks for adding the personal recollections and insights, George.

John Macy

Rockport TX/Denver CO
Post  Posted 19 Oct 2019 6:05 pm    

George and Doyle stopped by my studio a while back and we had a great visit and story telling session. Great player and great guy!

Stu Schulman

Ulster Park New Yawk (deceased)
Post  Posted 20 Oct 2019 12:23 am    

Very Cool,I love Doyle's playing,and Got to meet George a couple of years ago in Denver,Thanks John.
Steeltronics Z-pickup,Desert Rose S-10 4+5,Desert Rose Keyless S-10 3+5... Mullen G2 S-10 3+5,Telonics 206 pickups,Telonics volume pedal.,Blanton SD -10,Emmons GS_10...Zirctone bar,Bill Groner Bar...any amp that isn't broken.Steel Seat.Com seats...Licking paint chips off of Chinese Toys since 1952.

Shorty Smith

Columbus, Georgia, USA
Post  Posted 20 Oct 2019 6:30 pm    

I met Doyle in 1962 he was playing lead guitar in the Starlite Club in Temple,Texas, I played rythum guitar and sing country songs,we have been great friend ever since, always stayed in touch and now we talk on the phone, I have visited him several time in Nashville, even in the Glazer brother recording studio, couple time we traveled through the clubs to see who was playing music, especially the steel guitar pickers, Doyle is one of the greatest friend I have ever had, great person and superior musician,and he has a wonderful wife, Debbie who is my friend on facebook. Shorty

Steve Hinson

Hendersonville Tn USA
Post  Posted 20 Oct 2019 6:41 pm     Doyle...

I played Doyle's licks with Randy Travis for 20 years(he played on just about every one of RT's hits)and played them this week on a couple of"Music of Randy Travis"shows...Doyle is a great musician(plays electric
guitar just as well as he plays steel)and a real gentleman-he has always been so kind to me...

I just saw him a couple of hours ago on a rerun of"Nashville Music"playing with Lynn Anderson!

Huge fan here!

SH