The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Grips
Dom Franco

Beaverton, OR, 97007
Post  Posted 18 Oct 2019 8:00 am    

Get a grip!
As a steel guitar player with quite a bit of experience on piano and guitar, I often find myself
longing for and attempting to play some more advance chords on the non-pedal steel guitar.
One option is to settle for a partial chord, or a two/three note slant, which is fine
if there is accompaniment. (although many times slants are difficult to play perfectly in tune)
So some players have experimented with altered tunings and adding strings or pitch changing gimmicks
(of course the pedal steel allows many more chords, but I am only concerned here with non-pedal guitars)
For the past 15 years or so I have been on this "quest for chords" because I love Jazz, and I hear all the cool
intervals and harmonies in my head. If you have seen some of my other posts and my A6th extended tuning
Videos then you know what I mean.
Just recently I have been now experimenting with "GRIPS". Now all of you steel players are familiar with the
concept of only picking certain strings to achieve the correct harmony or chord. But now I am talking about an
Instrument with 10, 12 or more strings, and gripping strings that are very far apart.
If you have "re-entrant" strings that are chromatic or only 1/2 step away from another pitch, this opens up
tons of chord possibilities. Like flatted 5ths, 9ths, Augmented and diminished triads... etc.
The trick is training your picking fingers to keep the correct distance apart to achieve the new GRIP. And then be
able to quickly adjust to a different set of strings for the next chords. (You also need a bar long enough to cover
most or all of the strings)

I am also finding that I don't need to move the bar nearly as much as I have been, because I can get the IV or V
chord by just gripping different strings instead of moving the bar and playing the same strings.
I am trying to keep this a generic discussion, and not only related to my own tuning. This concept will work with
any tuning that has extra strings (More than the usual Root, 3rd, 5th and 6th notes) Some of the grips I have come
up with are very far apart, but with a little practice I am finding it easier and very musically pleasing to the ear.
More "Piano like" than guitarish.
Dom

Don Crowl

Medford, Oregon, USA
Post  Posted 18 Oct 2019 10:00 am    

I just tied into your video "Georgia." You had great chord structures and transition chords. Inspired me to progress with attempting to plagiarize them.
For me some varying string grips require plenty of practice, especially when they are wide and different consecutive grips. I've heard it called muscle memory training, if I recall correctly. As time rolls on that seems to be more of a challenge.

Dan Yeago

Virginia, USA
Post  Posted 18 Oct 2019 3:32 pm    

I just listened to Georga also. There was lots of great stuff in there, Dom. Your guitar didn't need any pedals at all, either. Great playing and thanks much.

Dom Franco

Beaverton, OR, 97007
Post  Posted 19 Oct 2019 8:42 am    

Don Crowl

Medford, Oregon, USA
Post  Posted 19 Oct 2019 3:54 pm    

Really nice job on the matrix. Your grip descriptions were are a significant plus. Thnx for sharing, Dom.

I've started using your set up with a little variation on one of the bottom strings. I use a varied Bb 13th on the bottom 8 so all my stuff is one fret off yours. Makes your input very helpful for me in trying to learn how to make use of those top 4 strings.