The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Flynn Steel
Jack Mock

Florida, USA
Post  Posted 16 Oct 2019 2:02 pm    

I purchased this Flynn Steel a while back at a guitar show. I got it in a trade I just couldn't turn down. I've been enjoying playing it but haven't dove into the C6 neck. I was hoping someone could possibly give me a little more information on the steel of Flynn Pedal Steels in general.

Thanks!

Milkman The Amp

Jerry Overstreet

Louisville Ky
Post  Posted 16 Oct 2019 4:46 pm    

Hi Jack. I met Harold Flynn several years ago at one of
Fred Layman's regional Lexington Ky. shows. He was a super guy with a history of pedal steel involvement.

After Harold passed, Fred acquired the Flynn company and carried it forward a bit until his demise a few years ago.

If you perform a search here on Flynn guitars or Harold Flynn, etc. you will turn up more information than I can offer.

Here's one thread: https://bb.steelguitarforum.com/viewtopic.php?t=145566&highlight=flynn+pedal+steels

Enjoy your Flynn guitar and happy pickin'!

Mark McCornack

California, USA
Post  Posted 16 Oct 2019 4:49 pm    

Very artful pedals Whoa!

Jerry Overstreet

Louisville Ky
Post  Posted 16 Oct 2019 5:15 pm    

Mark McCornack wrote:
Very artful pedals Whoa!
Rus-Ler pedals...there's some history about the connection in the link I posted.

Mark McCornack

California, USA
Post  Posted 16 Oct 2019 6:13 pm    

I like that Cowboy belt buckle motif!
Also, the recessed pedal rod connection point puts the forse more in line with mid pedal. That seems intuitively like a good idea to me rather than the pedal rod being cantilevered off to the side like most. Maybe I’m high, but that just looks “right” Wink

Stu Schulman

Ulster Park New Yawk (deceased)
Post  Posted 17 Oct 2019 4:29 am    

Chuck Back at Desert Rose could probably help?
Steeltronics Z-pickup,Desert Rose S-10 4+5,Desert Rose Keyless S-10 3+5... Mullen G2 S-10 3+5,Telonics 206 pickups,Telonics volume pedal.,Blanton SD -10,Emmons GS_10...Zirctone bar,Bill Groner Bar...any amp that isn't broken.Steel Seat.Com seats...Licking paint chips off of Chinese Toys since 1952.

Last edited by Stu Schulman on 17 Oct 2019 10:32 am; edited 1 time in total

George Kimery

Limestone, TN, USA
Post  Posted 17 Oct 2019 6:31 am     Flynn steel

Harold was from Knoxville, TN about 90 minutes from me. I used to see him every once in a while at local steel shows with his guitars. I never owned one or played one. He was a fine gentleman. I was told he died of a heart attack caused by over exertion being a caretaker for his wife with Alzheimer's. He would not put her in a facility even though he wasn't in good health himself. He stuck by her side until the end, which was admirable, but in hindsight, not wise.

Rick Campbell

Sneedville, TN, USA
Post  Posted 17 Oct 2019 6:31 pm    

Harold was a close friend and bandmate for several years. His tone was as good as it gets. Harold was one of the best at playing backup behind a singer that I ever heard. He was not into speed playing. He didn't care for it, and not into C6 very much, but on E9 he could kick a song off and make a singer sound like a million dollars. Our friend WA (Dub) Norman was a professional machinist and helped Harold with the steel production. Dub was also a great country singer. I miss both of these guys and their music very much. Good people too!

BTW: Harold's setup was usually two Nashville 400s and a Profex II. I also saw him using a Stewart power amp and two speaker cabinets and Profex II. Either way, he'd run one dry and the other with delay and reverb. I didn't notice any difference in the two setups, it was always good.

I'd like to have a Flynn guitar.

RC