The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  joint replacement
Bob Guichard

Central Texas, USA
Post  Posted 12 Oct 2019 10:49 pm    

I have had issues over the past year with arthritis in the right thumb joint. Started with pain in the joint and progressed to loss of strength in the thumb. My doctor advises that joint replacement is needed as usefulness continues to be impacted. So far I have lived with the discomfort but will need the procedure eventually. Has anyone experience with thumb joint replacement? I wonder about recovery time and how the new joint worked out.

mtulbert

Plano, Texas 75023
Post  Posted 13 Oct 2019 5:19 am    

Bob,

Cant speak for thumb surgery but I had a total left shoulder replacement done a few months ago. I am still in the recovery stage 4 months later and have some physical therapy left to do but I am now able to play my steel totally pain free and for extended periods of time without the aches I was getting in my left shoulder. Still have some ways to go but am getting there.

If you are in the DFW area I suggest you check out the Carrell clinic. They are one of the top leading orthopedic centers in the country.

Hope this helps.

regards,

Rittenberry Laquer D10, Rittenberry Prestige SD10, Revelation Preamp,Revelation Octal Preamp,Lexicon PCM 92 Reverb, Furlong Cabinet

Greg Lambert

Illinois, USA
Post  Posted 13 Oct 2019 5:01 pm    

Before even considering surgery give this a try..

Arthocin all natural joint lubricant and Arthritis pills.

My wife was on the verge of hip replacement and couldnt even walk across the room a few years ago. I went to the health food store and was told to try Arthocin before she considered surgery. she has severe Arthritis and hip degeneration.

On day three of taking this supplement she was walking with very little pain. She has been on this for a couple of years now and goes dancing every Fri night with our band.

Occasionally she gets a pain in her hips but this natural
supplement has done wonders for her.

Dennis Brion

Atwater, Ohio USA
Post  Posted 14 Oct 2019 2:47 am    

Wow do you have a specific Brand name for this?

Sonny Jenkins

Texas Masonic Retirement Center,,,Arlington Tx
Post  Posted 14 Oct 2019 7:31 am    

Dennis,,I've suffered with arthritis in my hands to the point I had to curtail building my very popular lap steels,,,tried everything that was suggested,,all the supplements,,every form of CBD,,,even injection. About 3-4 weeks after the injection (which would would have worked in 3-4 days at most if it was going to) I started taking the Qunol brand of Extra Strength Tumeric 1000mg twice a day,,that same week my hands stopped hurting,,,still have swelling, limited movement,,,but no,,or very little at most pain,,,even when I try to force the limited movement,,,may try to start building again. YMMV

Erv Niehaus

Litchfield, MN, USA
Post  Posted 14 Oct 2019 7:41 am    

Ricky Davis swears by Tumeric. Very Happy
Erv

David Ball

North Carolina High Country
Post  Posted 14 Oct 2019 8:01 am    

My rheumatologist recommended turmeric--he uses it himself, and said it's a lot more effective than a good many of the prescription medicines available. It took awhile to kick in for me, but it does help. It's important to get the kind of turmeric that also has some black pepper in it. The pepper apparently aids in the absorption of the turmeric. I could tell a difference between the "with" and "without" pepper capsules.

I wouldn't exactly call it a miracle drug, but it does help quite a bit and I've had no side effects from it.

Dave

Dale Rottacker

Walla Walla Washington, USA
Post  Posted 14 Oct 2019 8:34 am    

David Ball wrote:
My rheumatologist recommended turmeric--he uses it himself, and said it's a lot more effective than a good many of the prescription medicines available. It took awhile to kick in for me, but it does help. It's important to get the kind of turmeric that also has some black pepper in it. The pepper apparently aids in the absorption of the turmeric. I could tell a difference between the "with" and "without" pepper capsules.

I wouldn't exactly call it a miracle drug, but it does help quite a bit and I've had no side effects from it.

Dave

About two years ago, both of my thumbs really started bothering me because of the the Thritis brother Art... I couldn’t open jars and had a great deal of difficulty even lifting up my Coffee cup... I met with a Surgeon who’s specialty was Thumb Surgery and she asked how soon could I get in, as I was already bone on bone... I told her I needed another 5 years before I planned to retire... And she responded that she didn’t think she could get me that far.

Anyhow, I didn’t have the surgery. I was told the recovery time can be up to a year, and I still needed to work... I tried CBD, with a small amount of THC which my Dr. said made the CBD more effective... that did seem to help, but then I heard about Tumeric/Black Pepper, which for me is MORE effective... I still have days where they can bother me, perhaps the weather or grabbing something at the wrong angle, but overall, my thumbs are at least 80% better than they were 2 years ago... I get the Swanson brand from Amazon and get 4 months worth (for me) at a time... I started taking one capsule twice a day, but bumped that up to 2 capsules twice a day, so 2400 mg of Tumeric/day... I don’t know that the efficacy of this will last the rest of my days, but anything that puts off surgery and allows me to play steel without pain make me a happy boy.
*1977 Blue Sho-Bud Pro 3 Custom 8x6
https://msapedalsteels.com
http://rittenberrysteelguitars.com
https://www.telonics.com/index.php
https://www.p2pamps.com
https://www.quilterlabs.com

Dennis Brion

Atwater, Ohio USA
Post  Posted 14 Oct 2019 9:15 am    

Thanks guys i have been taking turmeric for a couple years now, two pills a day helps but at times my left knee can really get going...which doesn't help with my steel pedal usage...lol! Just thinking I would try that arthocin cause my meniscus in my left knee is thinning has had surgical repair in 2015...looking for something better than getting a new ones which is not my idea of a fix!

Greg Lambert

Illinois, USA
Post  Posted 14 Oct 2019 1:07 pm     Arthocin

Dennis Brion wrote:
Wow do you have a specific Brand name for this?

I was told the Curcumin is the magic ingredient.

https://www.terrynaturallyvitamins.com/arthocin

Dennis Brion

Atwater, Ohio USA
Post  Posted 14 Oct 2019 1:21 pm    

Thanks Greg the wife is ordering them as we speak!

David Ball

Post  Posted 14 Oct 2019 1:28 pm    

Curcumin is what is in Turmeric. Boswellia is Frankincense and is supposed to be a good anti inflammatory.

Dave

Dennis Brion

Atwater, Ohio USA
Post  Posted 14 Oct 2019 1:35 pm    

I'm gonna give it a shot, will let you all know!

David Ball

Post  Posted 14 Oct 2019 1:35 pm    

Also, my sister swears by Collagen Peptides--it's supposed to help the revitalize cartilage among other things. She's had horrible joint problems for a long time, and said that this really helps. I've got some that I'm going to try.

Dave

Dennis Brion

Atwater, Ohio USA
Post  Posted 14 Oct 2019 2:18 pm    

Thanks Dave, I will try them all one at a time till I find the winner! Anything is better than knee replacement!

David Ball

Post  Posted 14 Oct 2019 3:02 pm    

Yep--only one change at a time is always wise. Good luck!

Dave

Larry Dering

Missouri, USA
Post  Posted 14 Oct 2019 6:35 pm    

I'm another user of the Boswellia and Curcumin. It has helped me for several years. Not a cure but a substantial reduction in pain and increase in mobility. It works for me at 1200 mg a day.

Bob Guichard

Central Texas, USA
Post  Posted 16 Oct 2019 8:21 pm    

Thanks for the inputs. Some good recommendations that I will try. Anything is better than loosing use of the picking thumb for several months after surgery. I ordered Authocin capsules which arrived today. I will follow with results in a month.