The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Rosalee - Late 70s Push Pull Restro Project
Barry Blackwood

Post  Posted 7 Oct 2019 8:58 am    

Quote:
When you get this old it's all you can do to remember how you used to play

You said a mouthful, Mike. Very profound!

Mike Scaggs

Nashville, TN
Post  Posted 7 Oct 2019 12:06 pm    

Tony Glassman wrote:
I agree with polishing all metal.....I even buff the beveled ends of the cross-shafts where they pass through the apron mounting pedal brackets and also the inner hooks on the pedal rods.

On my 78 keeper D-10 rebuild, I also did the “ball-bearing” mod. The mod consists of taking off about 1/32” off each cross-shaft end and inserting a ball bearing between each end of the. cross-shaft end and the apron. It contributed to smooth smoother & lighter pedal action.

Lastly, at the suggestion of fellow forumite Larry Behm, I removed the pedal return springs on A&B. All in all, this p/p pedals as nicely as my LG II.

Ha! I do all those same mods and they do matter as you know. The return spring thing is ok to do as well but I end up just relieving the spring tension so I can leave them on the guitar. You can just about set a PP up with no springs on the rods too but you better know how to balance one out and adjust it or things get weird.

Cheers

Zum double Hybrid 8x9, 64 Twin (JBLs), p2pAmps Bad-Dawg, p2pAmps Tremendous Reverb, Visit my website www.p2pamps.com

Andy DePaule

Saigon, Viet Nam & Springfield, Oregon
Post  Posted 7 Oct 2019 2:25 pm     Guess it's a No Deal

Johnie King wrote:
Andy u could trade your project steel in on Roselee

I'm for it but guess it's a No Deal...
Seriously, I never owned a PP until I got the Promat a couple of years ago.
I'm still not really used to it yet.
Once all repaired and set up right it's an amazing steel, but compared to what Mike did for that Emmons steel, it just can't compare. What he decided to do and how he has carried out the work is really a thing to behold.
Really wish I owned such a thing of beauty. Very Happy
Magnatone Jeweltone Series Lap Steel, Circa 1950? 6 String with F#minor7th Tuning.
1956 Dewey Kendrick D-8 4&3, Restoration Project.
1973 Sho~Bud Green SD-10 4&5 PSG, Restoration Project.

Kevin Fix

Michigan, USA
Post  Posted 7 Oct 2019 2:57 pm    

Beautiful job there Mike!!!! Man after my own heart!!!! My Super Pro has been on the kitchen table a few times!!!!

Dennis Brion

Atwater, Ohio USA
Post  Posted 7 Oct 2019 4:00 pm    

That is one fabulous looking steel!

Johnie King

Tennessee, USA
Post  Posted 7 Oct 2019 4:13 pm    

Yes Andy Mikes attention too detail is unreal he’s a old school craftsman a dying breed her in the U S.

Mike Scaggs

Nashville, TN
Post  Posted 7 Oct 2019 4:18 pm    

Thank you guys, I appreciate your feedback very much...

Zum double Hybrid 8x9, 64 Twin (JBLs), p2pAmps Bad-Dawg, p2pAmps Tremendous Reverb, Visit my website www.p2pamps.com

Tony Glassman

The Great Northwest
Post  Posted 7 Oct 2019 5:34 pm    

Mike Scaggs wrote:
Tony Glassman wrote:
I agree with polishing all metal.....I even buff the beveled ends of the cross-shafts where they pass through the apron mounting pedal brackets and also the inner hooks on the pedal rods.

On my 78 keeper D-10 rebuild, I also did the “ball-bearing” mod. The mod consists of taking off about 1/32” off each cross-shaft end and inserting a ball bearing between each end of the. cross-shaft end and the apron. It contributed to smooth smoother & lighter pedal action.

Lastly, at the suggestion of fellow forumite Larry Behm, I removed the pedal return springs on A&B. All in all, this p/p pedals as nicely as my LG II.

Ha! I do all those same mods and they do matter as you know. The return spring thing is ok to do as well but I end up just relieving the spring tension so I can leave them on the guitar. You can just about set a PP up with no springs on the rods too but you better know how to balance one out and adjust it or things get weird.

Cheers

I know a lot of guys swear by removing all pull/ push rod compression springs because they add resistance but I like to use them sparingly in the shortest length possible for smoother balancing and tuning forgiveness.

BTW, all your rebuilds are beautifully done. I’d like to get the chance to play one of th in the future.

Mike Scaggs

Nashville, TN
Post  Posted 7 Oct 2019 8:06 pm    

It has begun

Henry Matthews

Texarkana, Ark USA
Post  Posted 8 Oct 2019 8:36 am    

Yes Tony, I also remove the pedal return springs because ones usually on push pulls are way to stiff for what they do which makes pedals mushy to me. On my last push pull project, I found some springs at Ace hardware that were same size but were a lot easier or less stiff I mean. They work great to return pedals and can’t even tell they on there plus they are all shined which looks really good.

D-10 Magnum, 8 &5, dark rose color
D-10 1974 Emmons cut tail, fat back,rosewood, 8&5
Nashville 112 amp, Fishman Loudbox Performer amp, Hilton pedal, Goodrich pedal,BJS bar, Kyser picks, Live steel Strings. No effects, doodads or stomp boxes.

Mike Scaggs

Nashville, TN
Post  Posted 8 Oct 2019 8:38 am    

Henry Matthews wrote:
Yes Tony, I also remove the pedal return springs because ones usually on push pulls are way to stiff for what they do which makes pedals mushy to me. On my last push pull project, I found some springs at Ace hardware that were same size but were a lot easier or less stiff I mean. They work great to return pedals and can’t even tell they on there plus they are all shined which looks really good.

McMaster Carr is another great resource to find springs in every size and tension you may need. Plus they have all the hardware in the world too.

Cheers

Henry Matthews

Texarkana, Ark USA
Post  Posted 8 Oct 2019 9:18 am    

Thanks Mike, I’ll check them out. Here’s couple pics of one I just finished. It had 40 extra holes in cabinet and someone had put those brass ShoBud barrels instead of collars and compression springs, lol. Needless to say, they weren’t working. No way to tune guitar, lol. I patched holes and flocked it. Notice the new pedal return springs I found at Ace and I also put the 6th string whole step lower with the half step split that works off B pedal. I use this a lot and have it on both my guitars and works great on a push pull.

Nashville 112 amp, Fishman Loudbox Performer amp, Hilton pedal, Goodrich pedal,BJS bar, Kyser picks, Live steel Strings. No effects, doodads or stomp boxes.

Tony Glassman

The Great Northwest
Post  Posted 9 Oct 2019 4:43 pm    

Henry Matthews wrote:
Thanks Mike, I’ll check them out. Here’s couple pics of one I just finished. It had 40 extra holes in cabinet and someone had put those brass ShoBud barrels instead of collars and compression springs, lol. Needless to say, they weren’t working. No way to tune guitar, lol. I patched holes and flocked it. Notice the new pedal return springs I found at Ace and I also put the 6th string whole step lower with the half step split that works off B pedal. I use this a lot and have it on both my guitars and works great on a push pull.

Is the 6th string split, the one that is done by adding an extra bell crank pull at the 6th string on pedal A (Bs—> C#s) which prevents the the whole tone drop on string 6 from G# to F# when the KL & A pedal are used together

I’d forgotten about that trick. Wasn’t that a originally a Jimmy Crawford innovation?

Henry Matthews

Texarkana, Ark USA
Post  Posted 9 Oct 2019 7:14 pm    

Yes, that’s it Tony, I don’t know who came up with the idea but works very well and doesn’t bother A pedal at all.

Mike Scaggs

Nashville, TN
Post  Posted 10 Oct 2019 9:39 am    

Henry Matthews wrote:
Yes, that’s it Tony, I don’t know who came up with the idea but works very well and doesn’t bother A pedal at all.

Yes I do that by request. I believe Billy Knowles showed my that a long time ago. Good mod to add.

Mike Scaggs

Nashville, TN
Post  Posted 10 Oct 2019 9:40 am    

Ole Rosalee is getting close now

Russ Tkac

Post  Posted 10 Oct 2019 5:53 pm    

Wonderful Mike!

Mike Scaggs

Nashville, TN
Post  Posted 13 Oct 2019 5:26 pm    

Lowering rods just about done

Johnny Cox

Williamsom WVA, raised in Nashville TN, Lives in Hallettsville Texas
Post  Posted 14 Oct 2019 3:40 pm    

Henry Matthews wrote:

Jimmy Crawford came up with that in the 70s. I showed it to Bolly Knoweles a couple years back.

john widgren

Wilton CT
Post  Posted 16 Oct 2019 5:37 am     Really something

This is worth repeating: WOW!!

Great Mike!

JW
widcj@hotmail.com

Jerry Overstreet

Louisville Ky
Post  Posted 16 Oct 2019 5:53 am    

Mercy! That's almost too pretty to play. Smile

Skip Edwards

LA,CA
Post  Posted 16 Oct 2019 7:25 am    

Chrome 705's! Good call...
Awesome, Mike.

Mike Scaggs

Nashville, TN
Post  Posted 18 Oct 2019 12:58 pm    

Rosalee is now completed she is looking good and sounding good. This was a fun project that lasted a very long time but now she is ready for her new home and owner. Thanks for all the comments and interest in this guitar. It's always a pleasure hearing from fellow steel guitar players and lovers.

Cheers

Tim Johnson

Cadiz, KY, USA
Post  Posted 21 Oct 2019 2:43 am     Rosalee

Great job Mike