The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Need help choosing 1st steel
Mark Epstein

Colorado, USA
Post  Posted 11 Oct 2019 11:55 am    

Hi,
I am primarily a banjo, dobro and guitar player. I played psg in college on a Sho-bud Maverick but decided then to focus on banjo.

That was a long time ago.

I am interested in rekindling my interest in psg and want to purchase a used guitar. I am better off financially than I was then and want to get to get a guitar that I won't have to replace down the road.

Also, I've found that investing in a good instrument now will always provide at least the initial investment upon sale.

Can you guys give me ideas of what I should look at and, if you know of anything for sale I should pursue. My budget is probably in the $2500 - $3000 range including shipping, from what I can ascertain from for sale items.

I'm pretty sure that based on what I've read and remember, I'm looking for a 10 string 3 pedal 5 kl guitar. Is that the direction I should go?

Thanks in advance.

Durango, CO

Mullens RP
'67 Fender Deluxe Reverb (original)
too many banjos

Chris Grigsby

Boulder, CO
Post  Posted 11 Oct 2019 9:10 pm    

Hi Mark, you are pretty spoiled for choice in that price range for an S10 or SD10 guitar. Emmons Legrande, Mullen Royal Precision/G2/Discovery, Show Pro Lloyd Green, Zum Stage One / Encore, etc...just watch the classifieds for a while and you will get a good feel or what is out there.

Best,
Chris

Stu Schulman

Ulster Park New Yawk (deceased)
Post  Posted 11 Oct 2019 11:49 pm    

Mark,I noticed that you live in Colorado,The Mullen guitar people are in Flagler Colorado...excellent guitars,nice folks it would be worth a drive out.
Steeltronics Z-pickup,Desert Rose S-10 4+5,Desert Rose Keyless S-10 3+5... Mullen G2 S-10 3+5,Telonics 206 pickups,Telonics volume pedal.,Blanton SD -10,Emmons GS_10...Zirctone bar,Bill Groner Bar...any amp that isn't broken.Steel Seat.Com seats...Licking paint chips off of Chinese Toys since 1952.

Gene Tani

Pac NW
Post  Posted 13 Oct 2019 1:08 am    

I moved over from banjo/dobro/mandolin too. I was going to recommend what i know, a Zum Encore or Stage 1 or a Mullen, but I would suggest watching prices on the For sale forum here, Reverb and Ebay, also call dealers like Steels North County in San Diego County.

Here's some helpful sites, you can also search here for the distinction between push/pull, all-pull and pull-release mechanisms. Links below have long lists of recommended builders, some are pretty hard to find used, some have been out of business for awhile, but if you buy from a builder that's currently in business that's generally a safe bet. Names like Justice, MSA, Desert Rose, Sierra, GFI, Williams, Excel, Show Pro, besides the 2 I mentioned above.

https://umgf.com/tips-for-the-new-pedal-steel-player-t90128.html

http://steelguitar.com/buyersguide.html

https://guitar.lovetoknow.com/Used_Pedal_Steel_Guitar

(you can also PM/email me any questions anytime)

Last edited by Gene Tani on 18 Oct 2019 10:44 pm; edited 1 time in total

Allen Howington

North Carolina, USA
Post  Posted 13 Oct 2019 9:23 am     Emmons

Only my opinion....it should say EMMONS on the front!!!
They're not named after the best steel guitarist for no reason.....

Mark Epstein

Colorado, USA
Post  Posted 15 Oct 2019 3:43 pm     Thanks for the input

After many hours of research, I have my heart set on a Mullen. Thanks for all of your input.

Durango, CO

Mullens RP
'67 Fender Deluxe Reverb (original)
too many banjos

Gene Tani

Pac NW
Post  Posted 15 Oct 2019 4:43 pm    

Excellent choice!

There's a few Discoveries for sale recently on this forum, new and used, RP's come up once in awhile and sell fast, this would've been a good one, $2400! https://bb.steelguitarforum.com/viewtopic.php?t=350153

Consider also a split case from the factory, very reasonably priced.