The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Anyone try the newest Peterson StroboStomp HD Pedal Tuner?
Ron Hogan

Nashville, TN, usa
Post  Posted 22 Aug 2019 6:27 am    

23 YouTube video instruction manuals

Video Instruction manual

Leo Grassl

Madison TN
Post  Posted 22 Aug 2019 6:20 pm    

Well I didn't think I was buying anything else for while but I guess I'm getting one of these.
Very Happy Love me a good Peterson. I also use the Peterson strobosoft App all the time . I must say when my HD Stomp came in the mail a few years back I was disappointed by how bulky and heavy it was. It seems as though Peterson has made a better and smaller tuner! Can't wait to try it.

Dan Galysh

Hendersonville, Tennessee, USA
Post  Posted 22 Aug 2019 7:03 pm    

It's amazing.

Donn Lewis

Maryland, USA
Post  Posted 23 Aug 2019 4:22 am    

Dan Galysh wrote:
It's amazing.

It really is. Especially if you program it to be able to switch tunings via your foot!

Stu Schulman

Ulster Park New Yawk (deceased)
Post  Posted 8 Sep 2019 6:54 am    

The female man brought me the new strobostomp yesterday.I just turned it on and plugged in a 1/4"plug so I could see what's happening...About the coolest tuner I've ever seen and I seem to be getting around on it fine Big Display"yay my eyes thank you" tomorrow I will plug my steel guitar in to it.
Steeltronics Z-pickup,Desert Rose S-10 4+5,Desert Rose Keyless S-10 3+5... Mullen G2 S-10 3+5,Telonics 206 pickups,Telonics volume pedal.,Blanton SD -10,Emmons GS_10...Zirctone bar,Bill Groner Bar...any amp that isn't broken.Steel Seat.Com seats...Licking paint chips off of Chinese Toys since 1952.

Kevin Mincke

Farmington, MN (Twin Cities-South Metro) USA
Post  Posted 8 Sep 2019 8:04 am    

Jack Stanton wrote:
Received my replacement tuner in just two days. Amazing customer service by Peterson.
Works exactly as it should.
Now I have a new issue… Went to mount it on my pedalboard, and the rubberized backing on the tuner is so slick it won't allow the Velcro to stick to it. Only options I can think of is either too use something like gorilla glue to glue the Velcro pads on the back of the tuner, or use a strap tie which would have to run the length of the display screen. Neither option is appealing to me. Anybody else have this experiences or have any solutions?
Beginning to think I'm just not meant for a fancy tuner…

I have a pedal board that I used a tie wrap to secure a wall/switch cover plate and then put the Velcro on the back of that as I didn’t want to mess up the labels on my “vintage” pedals. Works great!

Mike Selecky

BrookPark, Ohio
Post  Posted 18 Sep 2019 5:30 am    

Just got one of these yesterday - does anyone know when using with a U12 E9/B6th, does the P12 preset cover the E9th pedals as well as the 6th pedals, or should I use the SP9 or OP9 preset for those pedals?

SE9
Peterson Pedal Steel Guitar Sweetened Tuning for 10 string pedal steel in E9 tuning. This is based on Jeff Newman's later system where the E strings are sharp of concert pitch.

SP9
Peterson Pedal Steel Guitar Sweetened Tuning for lever and pedal settings in E9 tuning. Use in conjunction with SE9 preset for open strings.

OE9
Peterson Pedal Steel Guitar Sweetened Tuning for 10 String pedal steel in E9 tuning. This is based on Jeff Newman's earlier system where the E strings are at concert pitch.

OP9
Peterson Pedal Steel Guitar Sweetened Tuning for lever and pedal settings in E9 tuning. Use in conjunction with 0E9 preset for open strings based on Jeff Newman's system.

U12
Peterson Pedal Steel Guitar Sweetened Tuning for 12 string universal pedal steel guitar in E9/B6 tuning. This contains the offsets for the open strings based on Jeff Newman's system.

P12
Peterson Pedal Steel Guitar Sweetened Tuning for 12 string universal pedal steel guitar in E9/B6 tuning. This contains the offsets for the pedals and levers based on Jeff Newman's system, use in conjunction with U12 preset for open strings.

Ron Hogan

Nashville, TN, usa
Post  Posted 18 Sep 2019 6:14 am    

As I often experiment with anything "steel", I sat down the other day in front of a digital keyboard and my steel to see which of the sweetners matched the keyboard best.

Playing single notes plus chords on the keyboard, I would play open single notes and open chords with no pedals and with A & B pedal, 0 fret. I was looking for what matched the best, according to my ear when using each sweetner.

This past weekend I did a gig here in town with me on steel and Danny Muhammad on bass (fantastic steel player along with about 5 other instruments and steel player for Ray Price for about 14 years). On breaks we discussed tuning different ways just as has been spoken on the Forum before, Just Intonation vs. Equal Temperament. The discussion sparked me to perform the experiment spoke of above using my Stomp tuner.

All sweetners did a good job, but I chose the EM9 & EP9 as my choice that sound the best with the keyboard, with the least waver sounds with the keyboard.

It seems the EM9 used the 440 string tunings with the exception of the 3rds which were tuned flat to 438.5 (per Buddy Emmons).

Anyhow, this is my findings and opinions.

Last edited by Ron Hogan on 18 Sep 2019 9:25 am; edited 1 time in total

Rob Fenton

Toronto, Ontario, Canada
Post  Posted 18 Sep 2019 8:19 am    

I think people who rely on the use of open strings, such as dobro and banjo players would like to be able to use the bump feature to change capo settings within the sweeteners.

I would use that for sure, especially if one could eliminate the capo positions one wasn't going to use (for example, I never capo dobro above the 4th fret, and rarely detune).

Great new product. Looking forward to grabbing one of these!

Greg Lambert

Illinois, USA
Post  Posted 18 Sep 2019 1:32 pm    

On occasion I will seem to be a little sharp or flat with the band at certain points in the song. So I would just add a little vibrato to my bar.

I always thought this was my playing till I used this tuner. I would play a chord with the singer at one of those spots in question and look at the tuner. It was perfect , no clockwise or counterclockwise movement signifying that my chord was perfectly in tune. It was the singer that was slightly off in those locations. Love this tuner!!!

Jon Jaffe

Austin, Texas
Post  Posted 18 Sep 2019 6:42 pm    

Mike Selecky wrote:
Quote:
Just got one of these yesterday - does anyone know when using with a U12 E9/B6th, does the P12 preset cover the E9th pedals as well as the 6th pedals, or should I use the SP9 or OP9 preset for those pedals?

Mike,
U12 covers all the open strings on the Newman E9/B6 tuning. P12 covers all the pedals and knee levers when engaged.

Mike Selecky

BrookPark, Ohio
Post  Posted 19 Sep 2019 4:02 am    

Thanks for the info, Jon - it appears that the U12 preset is also based on Jeff Newman's later system where the E strings are sharp of concert pitch.

Charley Paul

California, USA
Post  Posted 19 Sep 2019 5:40 am    

Couple questions.....

I have the Stroboplus HD. It is a great pedal that I just couldn’t live without for PSG!

Considering “upgrading” to this new one.

I like that it has 9V power. As a pedalboard user, this provides seamless integration with my setup.

Right now, I use the Stroboplus HD and mount. It is certainly handy to have on the leg of my steel, but it is a bit clunky and takes up some very valuable space in my seat. I like the idea of eliminating the mounting bracket and having a more compact tuner that always has power.

Am I correct I’m understanding that I can program it to switch between the SE9 and SP9 setting only? And that I can control the switching using just the pedal footswitch (after setting it up per instructions earlier in the thread)?

This would seem to give me a more compact setup with less fuss (I always end up switching things the wrong way or accidentally adjusting parameters I don’t want with the Stroboplus HD)?

Thanks

Erv Niehaus

Litchfield, MN, USA
Post  Posted 19 Sep 2019 7:38 am    

Charley,
You and I are thinking along the same lines. Very Happy
Erv

Greg Lambert

Illinois, USA
Post  Posted 19 Sep 2019 2:03 pm    

Charley Paul wrote:
Couple questions.....

I have the Stroboplus HD. It is a great pedal that I just couldn’t live without for PSG!

I like that it has 9V power. As a pedalboard user, this provides seamless integration with my setup.

Right now, I use the Stroboplus HD and mount. It is certainly handy to have on the leg of my steel, but it is a bit clunky and takes up some very valuable space in my seat. I like the idea of eliminating the mounting bracket and having a more compact tuner that always has power.

Am I correct I’m understanding that I can program it to switch between the SE9 and SP9 setting only? And that I can control the switching using just the pedal footswitch (after setting it up per instructions earlier in the thread)?

This would seem to give me a more compact setup with less fuss (I always end up switching things the wrong way or accidentally adjusting parameters I don’t want with the Stroboplus HD)?

Thanks

From what I understand your answer is yes. It is explained earlier in the thread.

Charley Paul

California, USA
Post  Posted 19 Sep 2019 3:22 pm    

I’ll tell ya, this new Strobostomp has sent me spiraling down a rabbit hole. I won’t be able to fit it onto my current pedalboard (PT Nano), so I bought a Creation Music Company Aero 17x7 Board to house it and the other four pedals that I use. Mounting my strymon Ojai R30 underneath with the taller feet I also purchased.

New signal chain will go:

Mullen RP D10
Goodrich Passive

...and then to the pedalboard with:
Strobostomp
MXR Phase 95
Bearfoot Honey Bee
Chase Bliss Tonal Recall
Catalinbread Topanga

Amp.

David Donn

New South Wales, Australia
Post  Posted 20 Sep 2019 5:17 am    

Charley Paul wrote:
Couple questions.....

Thanks

The preset switching via the footswitch works well. You hold the footswitch down, mute and then tap your strings and it will scroll to the next preset with each tap. It will switch between SE9 and SP9 if those are the only presets you have loaded. If you need others the footswitch will scroll through them all. Works well so long as your number of presets is small. Also, assigning a different colour to each preset helps alot - no more tuning open strings accidentally with SP9!

If you want some set of presets sometimes and another set other times I think it is possible to store them as separate configurations and switch between them (not via the footswitch though!) but I this is not important for me so I haven't tried this.

Charley Paul

California, USA
Post  Posted 26 Sep 2019 5:17 pm    

My Strobostomp arrived and I couldn’t be more pleased. So far, I like it even better than the Stroboplus HD that I’ve come to rely on so heavily. What makes it better (in my opinion):

1. It has a 9V power tap. I can mount it onto my pedalboard, which saves space in my seat.

2. It does not require a bracket. Again, less space to take up in my seat, and less weight.

3. The screen is large and bright. It’s easier to read than the Stroboplus.

4. It’s smaller than the Stroboplus. About the size of an iPhone, only thicker,

5. No more usb cable and power plug in my seat.

My thought is that if you have a pedalboard, this is a must have.

Here’s a photo of the tuner on my new Creation Audio Aero board, with a Strymon Ojai R30 power supply mounted underneath:

Ben Greene

San Antonio, Tx.
Post  Posted 11 Oct 2019 10:30 am    

I'm loving the Strobostomp HD. I'm finaling able to take the time to try and tune my Emmons JT and program my setting after years of ET with Snark. But I'm trying to figure out a way to mount this thing on one of my legs, instead of my pedal board. So I can have it just to my right near my changers. Anybody hacked a solution for this, as Peterson doesn't seem to have a mounting bracket for this model? Yet...hint, hint...

Ben Greene

San Antonio, Tx.
Post  Posted 14 Oct 2019 2:26 pm    

Ben Greene wrote:
I'm loving the Strobostomp HD. I'm finaling able to take the time to try and tune my Emmons JT and program my setting after years of ET with Snark. But I'm trying to figure out a way to mount this thing on one of my legs, instead of my pedal board. So I can have it just to my right near my changers. Anybody hacked a solution for this, as Peterson doesn't seem to have a mounting bracket for this model? Yet...hint, hint...

This is how I solved this issue, if anyone’s curious. I ordered a mic stand cell phone mount and put it on an old ipad mount I no longer use. Works pretty well. As you can see I’m running straight into my volume pedal, but I am using the Strobostomp HD to power my effects. Also I tuned my steel JT starting with my E’s at 440. It sounds great and I had a rehearsal this weekend. No issues playing with other players. It was easy to program too from the website. Love this tuner!

Alex Cattaneo

Quebec, Canada
Post  Posted 15 Oct 2019 5:17 am    

Great tuner, but it does have one major issue for steel player: you can't use it to measure your offsets. Because of that, I will keep my good old stroboFlip.

Pedal steel guitars all have a different amount of "flex", meaning that when you press pedal a and b, some will move by 2 cents, some will move by 8 cents, etc. So I don't see how a preset could be used for all the different guitars out there. Hence, you have to tune your guitar by ear and then figure out your offsets FOR YOUR GUITAR.

I was very surprised to realize this feature was overlooked in the new HD Stomp. I even wrote to Peterson and they confirmed the HD Stomp does not have a measuring feature. In other words, you can't play a note and then move by cents increments to figure out the actual amount of deflection of a that note. I have a hard time understanding how they could have overlooked that feature, since it's on their other tuners and they seemed to have thought of everything else.

Other than that, it's a wonderful tuner. If you have already measured your guitar's sweetening, you can just program it into the tuner and you're good to go.

Gene Tani

Pac NW
Post  Posted 16 Oct 2019 5:07 pm    

Charley Paul wrote:
Couple questions.....

Thanks

This is easy to do in the Petersn connect software running in Chrome browser, the only thing is that the website won't recognize your pedal hardware for a few minutes the 1st time it's plugged in so website'll keep saying "No device attached". In the windows control panel, it wil show the pedal as a attached USB device as soon as you plug it in. Go to "Hardware and Sound" then "Devices and Printers" submenu. If it's not listed there you're probably not using a USB data cable, only a charging cable.

after i chose the presets i wanted, i used this option below the grey rectangle that show my presets (and the webpage shows my pedal using a little over half its available memory)

">Include but hide factory presets from the main tune screen"

Steve Schmidt

Ramsey, MN, USA
Post  Posted 22 Jan 2020 12:29 pm    

I bought one of these slightly before Christmas when Sweetwater had them on sale. I must admit that I felt a little overwhelmed by the complexity of it. Today I found a cable and connected it to my computer and that was a game changer. I still had a question and put it on the Peterson portal and Chris called me back, answered my question, and talked to me about manually setting it up to my liking without being connected via USB. Talk about great customer service. I'm totally impressed with Peterson. I still have my old stroboflip too and have no intentions of selling either.

Frank Parish

Nashville,Tn. USA
Post  Posted 23 Jan 2020 12:58 pm    

I bought one as soon as I seen it coming. Its an excellent easy to read and to use. It was $129 so Its cheaper than the older stomp tuners were.

Dustin Schrimpsher

Tennessee, USA
Post  Posted 9 Nov 2020 11:05 am     StroboStompHD- Resolved

I initially had some trouble with my StroboStompHD. A Peterson tech determined that my BBE Supa-Charger wasn’t producing the right voltage. The power supply is 15 years old and has been bumped, banged and otherwise abused for a really long time.

Issue resolved, the tuner is awesome and I hope it lasts as long as the BBE power supply did.

Special thanks to Peterson for incredible customer service and a passionate dedication to making their products the very best (you don’t see that every day).

-D

Earlier Post
I got mine a week ago, awesome tuner but the MM feature didn’t work. They sent me a new one right away. Just opened it and tested it. Nope, MM doesn’t work on this one either. I’ve contacted them again. I hope they test the next one before they send it.

I love the tuning in the functioning modes. I really dig the strobe factor, never used one like this before.

Last edited by Dustin Schrimpsher on 14 Nov 2020 5:16 am; edited 1 time in total