The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Anyone play saxaphone?
Len Amaral

Rehoboth,MA 02769
Post  Posted 9 Oct 2019 7:39 am    

Not that i would take it seriosly but buy playing saxophone is on my bucket list.

I don't know anything about saxaphone but it seems you have to but a decent quality sax that operates as it should. There are saxophones on Amazon for $199 and that would like buying a Mark I assemble it yourself pedal steel like I bought in guitar player magazine 1970...LOL

Last edited by Len Amaral on 9 Oct 2019 4:30 pm; edited 1 time in total

Bill Sinclair

Waynesboro, PA, USA
Post  Posted 9 Oct 2019 8:58 am    

Hey Len,
I'm just a passable rock n roll sax player but it gets me more jobs than my harmonica. Laughing

First, not to be overly pedantic, but it's saxophone. Don't worry, it's a frequent mistake - including yours truly.

Some of the cheap Asian horns aren't too bad. This guy on youtube generally has some good advice for beginners. Check out this and some of his other videos:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bf3x83kDGV0

Sax is one of the easiest wind instruments to get started on. It takes quite a while to develop good tone (sound familiar?) but you'll likely be able to play some melodies in the first week. Once you figure out where your hands go, the basic fingerings are fairly simple. More so than clarinet or other woodwinds. Your mouth muscles will get a little sore and you need to take a break if you get dizzy. If you have any specific questions, I'll be glad to help (or at least try).

Ian Rae

Redditch, England
Post  Posted 9 Oct 2019 10:02 am    

The fingerings are simple because the people who commissioned the design (the French Army) specified that they should be.
It also had to be loud and weatherproof.

Len Amaral

Rehoboth,MA 02769
Post  Posted 9 Oct 2019 4:35 pm    

Hi Bill,

Obviously, my spell check wasn’t on otherwise I would have spelled saxophone correctly.
Good thing I can edit my post...LOL

There is a music store several towns away that rents band instruments to schools. That might be a good place to drop in and see what they have to offer. I mentioned playing saxophone to my wife and she rolled her eyes.👀