The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Goto page 1, 2  Next
Reply to topic
Author Topic:  New Clinesmith Frypan Long Scale 6 , 7's and Short Scale 8
Todd Clinesmith

Lone Rock Free State Oregon
Post  Posted 7 Oct 2019 7:48 am    

In addition to the Long Scale 8 string frypans I started making last year, I am offering two new models due to requests. If any one is not familiar with these steels, these are made from cast aluminum . The pickups are made with true horseshoe magnets, that are stronger than the originals. I wind these to the old specs for rich tone.

The 6 string long scale features a scale length of about 24 11/16 . String spacing at the bridge is 2.1 inches . String spacing at the nut is 1.875.

The short scale 8 string features a scale length of 22 9/16 . string spacing at the bridge is 2.75, and string spacing at the nut is 2.375.

All castings are polished to a high shine. Though by special request I have made a few with a satin fretboard to keep the fretboard glare down.

**These are a natural cast instrument . There will be some porosity or sand inclinations here and there on the bodies of the steels. **

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Clinesmith-Instruments/1457245817911268?ref=bookmarks

Last edited by Todd Clinesmith on 10 Oct 2019 7:22 am; edited 1 time in total

Chuck Moore

Pahoa, Hawaii
Post  Posted 7 Oct 2019 10:01 am    

Beautiful! And the satin finish on the fingerboard is a nice option. Smile

Harry Sheppard

Kalispell, MT USA
Post  Posted 7 Oct 2019 1:49 pm    

Tod,

These are incredible. I am waiting for you to take the next logical step for my ultimate guitar. You need to make a long scale 7 string (with the narrower neck and standard 7 string spacing)in black crinkle finish similar to the Dick McIntire guitar posted in the "Most Valuable Lap Steel" thread a few days ago. It is the guitar Rickenbacher should have made but never did. You can call it the Dick McIntire model to go with the the Joaquin model. Keep up the great work.

Harry

Todd Clinesmith

Post  Posted 7 Oct 2019 6:06 pm    

Thanks Chuck and Harry.

Harry, I have a long scale 7 string prototype in the works, on a standard 6 string size body . I will post some photos of it it in a few days. When I made the 6 string model I made the bridge wide enough to accommodate 7 strings.

Also, I have been thinking on a black crinkle instrument like you speak of. I will build one here soon. Or take this 7 string prototype and make it a black crinkle instrument while I am in the prototyping spirit.

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Clinesmith-Instruments/1457245817911268?ref=bookmarks

Harry Sheppard

Kalispell, MT USA
Post  Posted 7 Oct 2019 8:09 pm    

I may need to start selling a few things Tod Smile Thanks

Bill Thomson

Ocean City, Maryland, USA
Post  Posted 8 Oct 2019 3:25 pm    

These are first class instruments. I was able to demo an 8 string Long Scale at last months annual Hawaiian Steel Guitar Festival in Ft. Collins, Colorado. The Fry Pan belonged to Jim Newberry, the tone was perfect, the notes would sustain, and most of all the chimes would ring out and sustain.
Now I need to sell some instruments that I'm not using so I can make a move on one of these fine steel guitars.

Todd Clinesmith

Post  Posted 8 Oct 2019 5:09 pm    

Thanks Bill, for posting your experience with the steel.

As far as tone is concerned, these are my favorite steels I have built to date. Though My Joaquin D-8 is a close favorite.

Daniel Baston

Toronto, Ontario, Canada
Post  Posted 8 Oct 2019 6:23 pm    

Todd Clinesmith wrote:
As far as tone is concerned, these are my favorite steels I have built to date. Though My Joaquin D-8 is a close favorite.

Oh wow interesting, do you prefer the tone of the D8 Joaquin to the consoles even? I wonder what the horseshoe pickup would sound like on a Joaquin?.. Oops, I guess that's a bit off topic Surprised

On topic: the Fry pans look beautiful. I wish I could get a console, D8 Joaquin and an 8 string pan. Hopefully I'll eventually get at least one of the three!

Hideki Hattori

Tokyo, Japan
Post  Posted 8 Oct 2019 7:48 pm    

7 string narrow neck is a big news! Also a satin finish. It may be my next choice.
20’s Weissenborn, 30’s Rickenbacher A-22 Frypan, 40’s Rickenbacher B7, 40’s Dickerson MOTS, 50’s National Grande Console D8, 50’s National Dynamic, 80’s Japanese Fender Stringmaster S8, Goldtone 8 strings resonator, 2019 Clinesmith Frypan 8, 2020 Clinesmith Frypan 7

Todd Clinesmith

Post  Posted 9 Oct 2019 6:58 am    

Daniel Baston wrote:
Todd Clinesmith wrote:

Oh wow interesting, do you prefer the tone of the D8 Joaquin to the consoles even? I wonder what the horseshoe pickup would sound like on a Joaquin?.. Oops, I guess that's a bit off topic :o

On topic: the Fry pans look beautiful. I wish I could get a console, D8 Joaquin and an 8 string pan. Hopefully I'll eventually get at least one of the three!

Well, My D-8 has been my main guitar for about 7-8 years now, so it is like home to me. So that has some of my subjectiveness built in. I did add my new horseshoes to it earlier this year.

Daniel Baston

Toronto, Ontario, Canada
Post  Posted 9 Oct 2019 8:43 am    

Cool. I should know better than to ask a question like that. Obviously they are all great and have their own thing going on!

Steve Lipsey

Portland, Oregon, USA
Post  Posted 9 Oct 2019 8:52 am    

Here's my take on it, some from experience and some from conjecture...

the finish is quite important, and not just for aesthetic reasons...in some light it can be hard to see where you are; the frets can reflect at odd angles.

I think the black crinkle would be best for that, with the frets sanded down to highlight them, as it typically is done. But the guitar already changes pitch a fair amount when going from room temp to lap temp when beginning to play...and the black Bakelites are notorious for temperature sensitivity, so a reflective surface probably is better than black at avoiding lap and stage light heat...

The satin finish might even be worse than shiny - not a lot of contrast there?

I've gotten used to the shiny finish and learned how to see the frets (and gotten a lot better at not needing to see them, which is, of course, the real goal). And the solid shiny metal guitar sure attracts some attention on the stage...so I'm not wishing I'd had the option of a different one...

Todd Clinesmith

Post  Posted 9 Oct 2019 9:49 am    

Thanks Steve, for your input. The satin finish actually adds a lot more shadow line to each fret. So it does add contrast, and good visual separation.
I am finishing the 7 string prototype in a satin finish all around .

Ralph Czitrom

Ringwood, New Jersey
Post  Posted 9 Oct 2019 2:29 pm    

Great news on all fronts, Todd, especially the satin finish option. I had an A-25 which Rick Aiello reworked for me, including repolishing it. The reflection off the fretboard was so intense I had a hard time playing the guitar and wound up selling it.

Nic Neufeld

Kansas City, Missouri
Post  Posted 9 Oct 2019 5:45 pm    

I haven't had a lot of trouble with the finish...I wonder if I am less of a visual player, or maybe I haven't hit the right light yet. My main complaint with the guitar is that my double and triple neck guitars (Stringmaster and Magnatone) just don't sound and play as nice, so I'm now forced to decide between retuning between B11 and C13 at gigs on the frypan, or taking both the console and the frypan. Leaning toward the latter at my gig this weekend.

Todd Clinesmith

Post  Posted 10 Oct 2019 7:20 am     ...And 7's

Here's a few photos of the 7 string prototype.
The string spacing is similar to that of a Stringmaster. 3/8 at the bridge and 5/16 at the nut. Totaling 2.25 bridge, 1.875 nut. Long scale.
I went with a full satin finish on this guitar , which gives an aged vintage look to it.

Mike Neer

NJ
Post  Posted 10 Oct 2019 8:16 am    

Just spectacular! When all is said and done, the Frypan is still the perfect design in just about every way.

Harry Sheppard

Kalispell, MT USA
Post  Posted 10 Oct 2019 9:02 am    

Todd,

Sent you an email. Harry

Jim Newberry

Seattle, Upper Left America
Post  Posted 10 Oct 2019 2:00 pm    

Bobby Ingano's gonna like that!

-1950 Fender Dual Pro 8
-1950's Fender Dual Pro 6
-Clinesmith D8
-Clinesmith 8-string Frypan
-Clinesmith Joaquin
-~1940 National New Yorker
-~1936 Rickenbacher B6
-Homebuilt Amps

Todd Clinesmith

Post  Posted 12 Oct 2019 4:27 am    

Thanks for the comments. All through forum sales, will be met with donations.
Here's a link to the SGF post about my long scale 8's.
https://bb.steelguitarforum.com/viewtopic.php?t=334273&sid=61cc04cde51c902e3b80f1d157acba1c

Andy Volk

Boston, MA
Post  Posted 12 Oct 2019 7:17 am    

Fabulous, gorgeous instruments, Todd, and they represent so much work in testing and prototyping. The satin finish makes sense but I'm intrigued by the future black crinkle option.

That said, I'm the rare fish swimming against the frypan current. 'Couldn't be happier with my choice of the Clinesmith aluminum model with horseshoe. The hi-fi sound and dynamic range are the best of any lap steel I've ever played.

Nic Neufeld

Kansas City, Missouri
Post  Posted 12 Oct 2019 3:12 pm    

I played a gig with mine (long 8 str) today. Sang beautifully, or I should say...when I did my part. It was a sort of local porch-based music festival with local bands of all types playing across a neighborhood, and what was most surreal was immediately after the set some folks walked up and said "is that a frypan?" and I said it's actually a replica of sorts, I started mentioning the maker and they were like "oh it's a Clinesmith". And, turns out we are both Skype students of Alan Akaka! Small world moment to be sure.

Last edited by Nic Neufeld on 13 Oct 2019 4:36 pm; edited 1 time in total

Steve Marinak

Man O War Cay, Abaco, Bahamas
Post  Posted 13 Oct 2019 12:51 pm    

I have one of Todd's 6 string pans. It's amazing. I would recommend it to anyone. The finish does not bother me at all. Over time the shine will fade, I am enjoying the shine right now. It sounds amazing.

Todd Clinesmith

Post  Posted 14 Oct 2019 4:38 am    

Thanks agin for the comments. Feedback from a players and owners are better represented than my biased opinion,. Though I work on these instruments until I get em right. In the case of this design and especially the pickup, I put so much research, time ,trials ,errors,, repeat.

Andy,the cast aluminum model is a sweetheart with its own voice as well. Definitely has the most sustain , and very rich toned body.

Steve Lipsey

Portland, Oregon, USA
Post  Posted 14 Oct 2019 8:51 am    

So, my last comment was on the finish...I should probably say something about the tone...it is simply amazing, very organic and seductive and harmonically rich and...well, you get the idea. I haven't been able to put this baby down since I got it...it seems somehow alive, and the notes actually jump out of it...the sustain can't even be compared to other instruments, it is so great (well, I haven't played a Clinesmith Cast Aluminum model...).