The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  SC Steel Convention
Steve Alonzo Walker

Spartanburg,S.C. USA (deceased)
Post  Posted 7 Oct 2019 4:37 am    

The South Carolina Steel Guitar Convention will be on November 9th & 10th at Bill's Pickin' Parlor in West Columbia, SC.
Our featured artist will be Steel Guitar Hall of Fame Member Russ Hicks.
All are invited to attend this great show!
Also, visit Russ's new website where you can read several bio's...listen to samples and purchase many of his CDs at;https://russhicksmusic.com/home

Dana Watkins

North Augusta, South Carolina, USA
Post  Posted 7 Oct 2019 7:46 am     SC Steel Convention

Looking forward to the show. You don't want to miss this one! https://russhicksmusic.com

Rick Campbell

Sneedville, TN, USA
Post  Posted 7 Oct 2019 11:34 am    

I haven't been down to a SC show in a few years. I might try to free up some time and get down there to see my buddy, and one of my favorite players, Russ Hicks. I used to attend the Saluda show quite often and I miss some of the friends I made there. Always had a great time.

RC

Brian Christiano

Columbia, South Carolina, USA
Post  Posted 9 Oct 2019 6:21 am     Corrections to the flyer

As the coordinator for the event, I'd like to make some corrections to the flyer above. It has a couple of errors.

We have not determined if the workshop will be 2 or 3 hours nor the format for the workshop. We will have a workshop on Saturday. John Swain from Newberry will be conducting the workshop.

We will have a jam session but it will run from around 2:30 p.m. until around 5 p.m., not 6 p.m.

1992 Emmons Lashley LeGrande D-10, 1971 Martin D-28, 1959 Gretsch Country Club, 1964 Fender Band-Master, Peavey Nashville 400, Peavey Classic 30, Harlow reso

Coordinator for the South Carolina Steel Guitar Convention held in West Columbia, SC. May/Nov each year. Held at Bill's Music Shop and Pickin' Parlor.

Brian Christiano

Post  Posted 9 Oct 2019 6:23 am    

Rick Campbell wrote:
I haven't been down to a SC show in a few years. I might try to free up some time and get down there to see my buddy, and one of my favorite players, Russ Hicks. I used to attend the Saluda show quite often and I miss some of the friends I made there. Always had a great time.

RC

Rick we''d love to see you attend. Can I put you down for a slot on the show for Sunday?

1992 Emmons Lashley LeGrande D-10, 1971 Martin D-28, 1959 Gretsch Country Club, 1964 Fender Band-Master, Peavey Nashville 400, Peavey Classic 30, Harlow reso

Coordinator for the South Carolina Steel Guitar Convention held in West Columbia, SC. May/Nov each year. Held at Bill's Music Shop and Pickin' Parlor.

Last edited by Brian Christiano on 9 Oct 2019 7:11 am; edited 1 time in total

Brian Christiano

Post  Posted 9 Oct 2019 6:29 am     SC Steel Guitar Convention Vendors

I have been in contact with the SC Peavey representative, Roy Rogers, who has taken Dana Cox's territory. He is interested in having a booth with some of the latest Peavey equipment and to meet those of us who play Peavey amps.

Also, I have been talking to Billy Knowles of Steel Guitar East. He plans to have a booth to do some tuneups, maintenance, and such or just talk adjustments of your steel guitar. Come and meet the master of the workings of the pedal steel, especially the Emmons guitars.

Brian Christiano

Post  Posted 9 Oct 2019 8:34 am     SC Steel Guitar Convention Players

Our lineup is filling in nicely. We have a couple more slots on the show stage for Sunday if you want to be included.

Our lineup is as follows (not in order):

Russ Hicks (TN)
Steve Alonzo Walker (Spartanburg, SC)
John Swain (Newberry, SC)
Roger Crawford (McDonough, GA)
Bill Nicolson (GA)
Randy and Steve McCoy (Columbia, SC)
Lloyd Brigman (Newberry, SC)

Allen Howington

North Carolina, USA
Post  Posted 9 Oct 2019 7:17 pm     Steel show

Sounds like a good one for sure...……..

Rick Campbell

Sneedville, TN, USA
Post  Posted 9 Oct 2019 7:56 pm    

Brian Christiano wrote:
Rick Campbell wrote:

RC

Rick we''d love to see you attend. Can I put you down for a slot on the show for Sunday?

No, not unless you want to run everybody off. The times I played on the show, I played fiddle. I play steel, but I'm not much of a steel show player, more of a band player.

RC

James Grindstaf

North Carolina, USA
Post  Posted 10 Oct 2019 9:29 am    

Looking forward to it.

Dana Watkins

Post  Posted 19 Oct 2019 7:47 am     South Carolina Steel Guitar Convention

Just three weeks away. Looking forward to a great show! https://russhicksmusic.com

Brian Christiano

Post  Posted 22 Oct 2019 5:52 pm     Saturday Workshop

Make your reservations now to take part in the Saturday workshop: John Swain is very knowledgeable and you will learn some new licks.

Per our last discussion, John is planning on some instruction on both the E9th and C6th necks.

You will be glad you did.....

Brian Christiano

Post  Posted 22 Oct 2019 5:53 pm     Hotel Reservations

Be sure to make your reservations at the Clarion Hotel soon. Tell them you are with the SC Steel Convention to get the $62/night special rate.

Look forward to seeing you all there.

Brian Christiano

Post  Posted 23 Oct 2019 3:32 pm     Steel Workshop

Ok... talked with John Swain today.

John has about a 2-1/2 hour workshop lined up for Saturday, 9 November at 11 a.m.

Sign up now for the bargain price of $25. You won't find a better deal anywhere. John is going to go over both E9th and C6th licks.

John is very knowledgeable on theory and playing styles. You will get your money's worth....

Call Bill's Music Shop or email me to sign up.

Brian Christiano

Post  Posted 28 Oct 2019 11:19 am     SC Steel Guitar Convention

Folks, we are just two weeks away from another great SC Steel Guitar Convention

Like last May, we are now in West Columbia, at Bill's Pickin' Parlor.

Saturday, Nov. 9th, John Swain will be hosting a workshop from around 11 a.m. until around 1:30 p.m. Make your reservations now, only $25.00. Either contact Bill's Pickin' Parlor, email me at mooneyn201fd@gmail.com, or leave me a message here. We need to have a head count for planning.

After the workshop we'll have our traditional jam session of players with the Bob Strickland band.

Sunday the fun starts all over at 10:30 a.m. with the show, backed by the Bob Strickland band. Russ Hicks (Hee Haw) will be our guest.

Plan to attend. Make reservations at the hotel while the show rate still applies. Tell them you are with the steel convention.

Brian Christiano

Post  Posted 29 Oct 2019 7:16 am     SC Steel Guitar Convention

Just 11 more days until the big event

Plan to attend...

Dana Watkins

Post  Posted 29 Oct 2019 10:09 am     SC Steel Guitar Convention

https://scsteelguitar.com/convention

https://russhicksmusic.com/about#russ-hicks

Looking forward to a great musical weekend in South Carolina. Check the websites above for more details.

Brian Christiano

Post  Posted 1 Nov 2019 10:10 am     SC Steel Guitar Convention Coming up fast

Folks, we are just a week away from another great show here in SC!

Come on up or down to Bill's Picking Parlor for the show, Nov 9th and 10th

Fly,

Drive,

Or take a train. But come.

Bob Strickland

South Carolina, USA
Post  Posted 3 Nov 2019 5:28 pm     Steel Players

There are a couple of slots left on the show. If you're interested, email Brian Christiano via this web site.

See y'all there...

Brian Christiano

Post  Posted 4 Nov 2019 12:11 pm     SC Steel Guitar Convention Coming up fast

We are down to a few days left til the event.

We have the following players confirmed:

Russ Hicks
John Swain
Bill Nicholson
Steve and Randy McKoy
Lloyd Brigman
Duane Regan

We have a couple of slots left open for more pickers. Let me know if you want a stage slot.

r/

Brian Christiano

Post  Posted 5 Nov 2019 6:32 am     Vendors

Good news! If you need some strings....

Bill's Pickin' Parlor will have Nicola/Black Diamond strings for sale at bargain prices. Nicola/Black Diamond are partnering with Bill's Pickin' Parlor to offer great strings at great prices.

Plan to buy some when you attend the show.

Dana Watkins

Post  Posted 6 Nov 2019 8:52 am     SC Steel Guitar Convention Nov 9 & 10

Just a couple of days away. We are ready for an awesome weekend of music from some great musicians. Plan to be there if you can. For more information, check the websites below:

https://scsteelguitar.com/convention

https://russhicksmusic.com/about#russ-hicks

Steve Alonzo Walker

Spartanburg,S.C. USA (deceased)
Post  Posted 7 Nov 2019 8:13 am    

It's almost time for the Steel Getar Convention so make your plans to be there for what will be a great get-together!

Brian Christiano

Post  Posted 12 Nov 2019 9:35 am     SC Steel Guitar Convention

If you missed this one, you missed a "good-un".

Russ Hicks did an outstanding job

Duane Ragan from Traveler's Rest showed us how it's done on a lap steel. Awesome job, Duane.

HOWEVER, you can bet we'll have another in May. When we set the date and get some more details, we'll post it for your planning.

Tony Prior

Charlotte NC
Post  Posted 13 Nov 2019 1:44 am    

sorry to have missed it ! Sad

CURRENT MUSIC TRACKS AT > https://tprior2241.wixsite.com/website