The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Article About Women Steelers
Jamie Howze

Boise, ID
Post  Posted 5 Oct 2019 8:30 am    

This article about women steelers popped up in my Google news feed. I found it very interesting and it includes some players previously unknown to me. I had never heard of this site and I didn't find any reference to it in a forum search so I thought some fellow steelers might be interested.

https://sheshredsmag.com/issue-13-history-steel-guitar/

Donny Hinson

Glen Burnie, Md. U.S.A.
Post  Posted 5 Oct 2019 2:21 pm    

And...no mention of Marian Hall, Blanche Emerson, or even Lorene Ruymar? Lots of other female steelers, for sure. But leaving these three ladies out means the author hasn't studied the topic very seriously.

Joe Goldmark

San Francisco, CA 94131
Post  Posted 5 Oct 2019 4:47 pm    

Joan Cox, Nickie of Paris, Susan Alcorn, Elsie Jaggers, Janice Zilm, Donna Hammit.

But, great article none the less.

Joe

Jim Cohen

Philadelphia, PA
Post  Posted 5 Oct 2019 5:47 pm    

Donny Hinson wrote:
And...no mention of Marian Hall, Blanche Emerson, or even Lorene Ruymar? Lots of other female steelers, for sure. But leaving these three ladies out means the author hasn't studied the topic very seriously.

Well, Lorene is mentioned in passing in the writeup on Mikilani Fo but not in her own right. Still, there were several women there I was not aware of so I learned something tonight and can go to bed happy now. Smile

Dave Mudgett

Central Pennsylvania and Gallatin, Tennessee
Post  Posted 5 Oct 2019 6:17 pm    

Quote:
And, no mention of Marian Hall, Blanche Emerson, or even Lorene Ruymar?

Quote:
Joan Cox, Nickie of Paris, Susan Alcorn, Elsie Jaggers, Janice Zilm, Donna Hammit

Actually, Donna had her own writeup, right before Mikilani Fo. And Marian Hall was mentioned: "Making history as the first female inductee in the Texas Steel Guitar Hall of Fame in 2011, Cashdollar paid homage in her acceptance speech to her mentor, steel pioneer Marian Hall, who is credited with bringing the sounds of country swing to the West Coast in the 1950s and played on a variety of country TV shows like Town Hall before she passed in 2008." And, as Jim mentions, Lorene Ruymar was mentioned in the section on Mikilani Fo.

I was particularly surprised at the lack of mention of Megan Lovell of Larkin Poe, and Susan Alcorn - both of whom are pretty high-profile modern woman steel players in the wider musical world. But consider the possibility that the editors were insistent upon having only ten entries. I sorta don't get that mentality in online journalism, since taking the extra space essentially doesn't cost anything. But a lot of people think most readers won't wade through anything very long at all. And you know what? After a bunch of years teaching at the university level and writing posts on this forum on which I sometimes try to go beyond the trivial level - I think that just might have the ring of truth. Idea

Donny Hinson

Glen Burnie, Md. U.S.A.
Post  Posted 6 Oct 2019 6:16 am    

Thanks for the insight, Dave. I somehow missed the mention of Marian in Donna's write up. As for Lorene, I don't think she gets near enough credit for her book. It's the closest thing we have to a bible/encyclopedia of the beginnings of steel guitar. Smile

Ricky Davis

Bertram, Texas USA
Post  Posted 6 Oct 2019 3:49 pm    

Well I'm glad they didn't forget my Honey Cindy Cashdollar>