The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  What amps have a "good" headphone out?
Chris Grigsby

Boulder, CO
Post  Posted 26 Sep 2019 7:50 pm    

My next amp needs to have a headphone out for late night practicing...any recommendations?

I'm sure the Telonics TCA-500 is awesome, but I can't afford a new one and keep missing out on used ones...what about the Nashville 112, Milkman 'The Amp', etc...?

Or should I just get a cheap Line6 Pod for practicing and stick with my Nashville 400 for amplification?

Best,
Chris

John McClung

Olympia WA, USA
Post  Posted 26 Sep 2019 8:34 pm    

One easy solution is a Line 6 Pocket Pod Express, new they go for $130, have an Aux in and mini-headphone out, lots of stupid sounds for lead guitar you won't use, but a few good clean ones, and decent built in FX. I have the old version and it's very useful for home or on the go.

https://www.amazon.com/Line-6-99-075-0105-Pocket-POD/dp/B000RN53LQ/ref=sr_1_fkmr2_1?gclid=Cj0KCQjww7HsBRDkARIsAARsIT7OjOLCc-y9ubzCqTGiY_FzbRLs8VsSbZXGtVorKRrKTkovpz_FcpwaAuOPEALw_wcB&hvadid=241919782005&hvdev=c&hvlocphy=9033558&hvnetw=g&hvpos=1t2&hvqmt=e&hvrand=9857114736265070833&hvtargid=kwd-4337958636&hydadcr=24658_10400648&keywords=line+6+pocket+pod&qid=1569558704&s=gateway&sr=8-1-fkmr2

Paul Stauskas

DFW, TX
Post  Posted 26 Sep 2019 10:03 pm    

Milkman The Amp

Dennis Brion

Atwater, Ohio USA
Post  Posted 27 Sep 2019 1:53 am    

Love my Fender 25R for exactly that reason! Great with headphones, it has jacks for mp3 or a tablet/computer hookup and sounds like a big Fender! Use my Peavy for steel and 25R for tablet to play along with YouTube vids and separate the sound when quiet practice is not needed. Best part is I bought it for $89 new and have seen them used for $50-$75!

George Kimery

Limestone, TN, USA
Post  Posted 30 Sep 2019 7:17 pm     What amps have a good headphone out?

You might want to consider the Trace Elliott Elf. Only about 5" x 7" x 1-1/2" and 1.6 LB. It's 200 watts and sounds good. Makes a great backup amp to throw into your pack-a-seat. My friend Dale McPherson has one listed on the for sale section for $250.00. inc. shipping.

Doug Earnest

Branson, MO USA
Post  Posted 30 Sep 2019 8:01 pm    

I think the Nashville 112 headphone out sounds pretty good with a set of better headphones.

Some import practice amps I sell for $100 feature a headphone out jack and it sounds perfectly fine, a lot better than the amp does through the speakers really.

Mike Bacciarini

Arizona
Post  Posted 1 Oct 2019 11:09 am    

My Fender Rumble 200 has a nice headphone out. I imagine the rest of the Rumble line is the same?
Most of my practicing is done on the headphone out from a small Behringer 1204 mixer, that I feed
everything into (steel/FX rack, CD, Mac, etc.)
MCI Arlington S-10 3+5, George L E-66, BJS & Emmons bars, Fender Princeton 65W, Fender Satellite SFX, custom FX rack, 1983 Dobro 60D, SX-8 lap steel, Martin D16GT, Ibanez AS73, 1978 Rickenbacker 4000 custom.

Lee Baucum

McAllen, Texas (Extreme South) The Final Frontier
Post  Posted 1 Oct 2019 2:39 pm    

Cube 80XL

There are only two options as I see it.
Either I'm right, or there is a sinister conspiracy to conceal the fact that I'm right.

Williams Keyless S-10, BMI S-10, Evans FET-500LV, Fender Steel King, 2 Roland Cube 80XL's,
Sarno FreeLoader, Goodrich Passive Volume Pedals, Vintage ACE Pack-A-Seat