The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Has anyone made a folding backrest for their pac-a-seat?
Kristen Bruno

Orlando, Florida, USA
Post  Posted 26 Sep 2019 5:36 am    

I have an old sho-bud pack-a-seat which I re-upholstered and added foam. I would like to add a folding backrest.
Has anyone added a backrest to their seat? I would like to know what you used to do it.

Thanks
K

Roger Crawford

Griffin, GA USA
Post  Posted 26 Sep 2019 6:50 am    

Boat seat brackets!

Gabriel Edell

Hamilton, Ontario
Post  Posted 26 Sep 2019 11:11 am    

No. But I took mine off. It was too heavy and swung around while carrying the seat. Not sure the point of them really. Do people lean back while playing?

Erv Niehaus

Litchfield, MN, USA
Post  Posted 26 Sep 2019 11:14 am    

No, people lean back when they're not playing. Very Happy
Erv

Johnie King

Tennessee, USA
Post  Posted 26 Sep 2019 11:24 am    

Erv that’s the perfect answer!

Dean Smith

DFW, Texas, USA
Post  Posted 26 Sep 2019 12:35 pm    

I put a small leather strap and snap on my seat back to keep it collapsed when carrying it around. I think there was a company that did theirs that way when constructed.

Jack Stoner

Kansas City, MO
Post  Posted 26 Sep 2019 12:42 pm    

Quote:
I put a small leather strap and snap on my seat back to keep it collapsed when carrying it around. I think there was a company that did theirs that way when constructed.

Steeler's Choice uses a strap to hold the back in place during transit.

Dick Wood

Springtown Texas, USA
Post  Posted 26 Sep 2019 12:45 pm    

I had one on my seat but took it off. It added more weight and I found I wasn't leaning on it at all because it's placed just far enough back to where I had to scoot back so it would touch my back.

Jim Eaton

Santa Susana, Ca
Post  Posted 26 Sep 2019 5:38 pm    

I took the backrest off after the screws stripped and fell out from a lot of use. When I loaded up for my next gig it was much lighter and for the 1st time ever it hung straight down from the handle. With the backrest gone it no longer hangs tilted "in" just enough to really wack the side of your knee as your walking!
JE:-)>
MSA Legend SD12 5/5 -06'
Mullen S-12 4/5 - 1986
Nashville 112 x2 W/Knob Guards - Don't leave home with out one!
Walker SS rack system - 12"BW's
Quilter Steelaire Combo

Richard Stoops

Ohio, USA
Post  Posted 26 Sep 2019 6:14 pm     seat backrest

I have two Steelers Choice seats and both have backrests. One was made with the backrest installed and I made a backrest for the second seat. I don't play out, so extra weight isn't an issue. I find it kind of nice to lean back when I'm taking a break.

Bill L. Wilson

Oklahoma, USA
Post  Posted 26 Sep 2019 8:34 pm     The Seat.

This old Sho-Bud seat has a back added that was a metal knee brace from a truck wreck I had years ago. It’s bolted to the sides of the top with threaded rod running inside the top of the seat. The threaded rod goes thru the side of the seat and attaches to the hinges. I fabricated aluminum stops to keep the back from flopping around. A belt and guitar strap lock attached to the front keeps the back in place for carrying. I’ve had this seat for 20yrs and the back on for 10. It’s bulletproof and I’ll probably never buy anything else.

Stu Schulman

Ulster Park New Yawk (deceased)
Post  Posted 26 Sep 2019 11:27 pm    

What Erv Said!
Steeltronics Z-pickup,Desert Rose S-10 4+5,Desert Rose Keyless S-10 3+5... Mullen G2 S-10 3+5,Telonics 206 pickups,Telonics volume pedal.,Blanton SD -10,Emmons GS_10...Zirctone bar,Bill Groner Bar...any amp that isn't broken.Steel Seat.Com seats...Licking paint chips off of Chinese Toys since 1952.

Patrick Huey

Nacogdoches, Texas, USA
Post  Posted 27 Sep 2019 12:51 am    

Erv Niehaus wrote:
No, people lean back when they're not playing. Very Happy
Erv

Erv
Us big guys like the back rest. No need to lean back lol
Pre RP Mullen D10 8/7, Zum 3/4, Carter S-10 3/4, previous Cougar SD-10 3/4 & GFI S-10 3/4, Fender Steel King, 2 Peavey Session 500's, Peavey Nashville 400, Boss DD-3, Profex-II, Hilton Digital Sustain, '88 Les Paul Custom,Epiphone MBIBG J-45, Fender Strat & Tele's, Takamine acoustics, Marshall amps, Boss effects, Ibanez Tube Screamer, and it all started with an old cranky worn out Kay acoustic you could slide a Mack truck between the strings and fretboard on!!

Malcolm McMaster

Beith Ayrshire Scotland
Post  Posted 27 Sep 2019 1:39 am    

Try the Scott Dixon lightweight seat, the seat folds in and top clips on leaving a “clean” box with nothing flapping about.

MSA Millenium SD10, GK MB200, Sica 12inch cab, Joyo American Sound Pedal/ Jay Ganz Straight Ahead amp, Telonics 15inch in Peavey cab, Digitech RP150, Peterson tuner.Hilton volume pedal.Scott Dixon seat and guitar flight case.

Malcolm McMaster

Beith Ayrshire Scotland
Post  Posted 27 Sep 2019 1:41 am    

Oops sorry double post.
MSA Millenium SD10, GK MB200, Sica 12inch cab, Joyo American Sound Pedal/ Jay Ganz Straight Ahead amp, Telonics 15inch in Peavey cab, Digitech RP150, Peterson tuner.Hilton volume pedal.Scott Dixon seat and guitar flight case.

Last edited by Malcolm McMaster on 28 Sep 2019 2:07 am; edited 1 time in total

Pete Burak

Portland, OR USA
Post  Posted 27 Sep 2019 6:47 am    

There is a company called Crazy Creek that makes foldable camping chairs. They make one called a Canoe Chair, that has straps on the sides that clip underneath. I have not tried one yet but it looks promising as a way to quickly add a backrest to a Steel Seat.
Do a Google search for: Crazy Creek Canoe Chair
There are other brands/models of boat seats and stadium seats that might also work.

Dave Hopping

Aurora, Colorado
Post  Posted 27 Sep 2019 3:44 pm    

I have a Steeler's Choice pak-a-seat with a folding back (pictured).A little heavier than my backless other one,so I only take it out on nice gigs.

Steve Spitz

New Orleans, LA, USA
Post  Posted 27 Sep 2019 4:49 pm    

+1 for the boat seat hinges.

Walmart replacement boat seat. $20. I threw away the seat, kept the hinges. Same as those used by one of our more popular builders. I added mine to an old sho Bud seat.

Jack Stoner

Kansas City, MO
Post  Posted 28 Sep 2019 2:21 am    

I built about a dozen seats in the early 90's. Used boat seat hinges for the back. Have to position the back pad at the right height for best results.

Two of my seats, that I know of, are still being used. One a steeler friend in Alton, MO and another locally here in Florida.

The seats, loaded with whatever, can get heavy. I now have a Steeler's Choice Sidekick with back. I wanted lighter so I bought a "Lite" model seat. I missed the side compartment and quickly sold it. Just deal with the weight.

Erv Niehaus

Litchfield, MN, USA
Post  Posted 28 Sep 2019 7:18 am    

I found the built in power strip to be handy also. Very Happy
Erv

Charley Paul

California, USA
Post  Posted 28 Sep 2019 8:53 am    

I love the back rest on my Steelers Choice seat. It doesn’t swing wildly, and has a strap that snaps onto the seat body to fasten it when in transit.

I don’t lean back when playing. But, when I switch over to electric, I do lean a bit, and it’s quite comfy.