The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Goto page Previous  1, 2
This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.
Author Topic:  Is Rock Music Dying?
Douglas Schuch

Valencia, Philippines
Post  Posted 7 Sep 2019 4:07 pm    

Bryan Staddon

Buffalo,New York,
Post  Posted 8 Sep 2019 5:36 am     Long Live Rock!

It’s still there, you just got to dig deeper. It’s not on the radio or TV. While the streaming services lack sound quality you can find new Rock there, I keep creating stations based on bands I like. I started with Beck (not Jeff Aka Jesus) that led to The Killers which Led to Gorillaz which led to The Black Keys and it keeps going lots of this stuff is really good. If you love prog Rock, type in porcupine tree and then keep going it also leads to awesomeness. Let us not be our Parents. my oldest son keeps turning me on to weird Metal and every once in a while I really like it;Slipknot and Ghost I really like. I think Life is a state of mind . Although in the country field I think we’re screwed, except for the women “oh Miranda I love you” and the occasional real human that makes a record but I don’t know if they play it on country radio, every time I turn on the country station here it’s mostly really lame emotionless stuff

Mark Hershey

New York, USA
Post  Posted 18 Sep 2019 7:43 am    

Not if I can help it.

I've been working on a project for the last year called Silverdome named after the late great Pontiac Silverdome where Hulk Hogan body slammed Andre the Giant.

https://silverdome.bandcamp.com

We just cut a few demos, but imo our live sound is where it's at. I plug a Les Paul straight into full stack Marshall. Bass player runs through a full stack Ampeg, and our drummer is a hard hitter. Going to be featured on Woodstock Radio in a few weeks and they played one of our tunes that sat well right next to a Dinosaur Jr. song.

We've played a few shows and from the stage I saw kids hoisting beers and dancing along. Rock is dead they say? Long live rock!

Godfrey Arthur

3rd Rock
Post  Posted 23 Sep 2019 3:30 pm    

This is some of new rock.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j-HxW40mKDU&feature=youtu.be

Dreamstate.

There are numerous bands out there with the same look, same Djent sound!

Old guys representing:
https://youtu.be/UvTnzne69Ts
https://youtu.be/hW-kV_G-rEQ

KXM, George Lynch from Dokken, left, center King's X bassist/vocalist dUg Pinnic, Korn drummer Ray Luzier, right.

The rock is out there, it's just been hidden under a mountain of finessed and browbeaten corporate social engineering.

Archduke Ferdinand wanted to give Mozart a job.

Even Mozart's time this queen, Ferdinand's mother, thought Wolfie was a "useless person."

Queen Maria Theresa

What's changed?

Rock's not dead, it's in an induced coma.

Bob Carlucci

Candor, New York, USA
Post  Posted 24 Sep 2019 8:32 pm    

I think its mutated, not gone.. Mutated into unlistenable crap as far as I am concerned.. I don't even listen to much music on the radio any more .I listen to mostly right wing fascist propaganda these days on AM radio.

I tune in to the oldies station now and then but to be honest thats been stale and tired sounding for over 40 years.

Actually, radio in general just plain sucks in the modern age..

Even my radical fascist right wing hate monger programs feature 5 minutes of commercials for every 5 of political commentary. Radio is just not the same as it used to be, no matter what you listen to... bob

no gear list for me.. you don't have the time......

Fred Treece

California, USA
Post  Posted 24 Sep 2019 9:19 pm    

I listened to Underground Garage on Sirius XM on a 3-hour drive this past weekend and didn’t hear a single song I didn’t like. It was all just great rock n roll, some of it older, some of it newer, most of it I had never heard before.

Classic rock radio ruined classic rock even for fans of classic rock by turning the songs into cliches. Now you can hear Led Zeppelin in the grocery store, complete with dorky trivial factoid intro by some pretentious DJ. Somewhere there’s a kid growing up who can’t stand going to grandma’s house because she plays AC/DC thinking she’s hip.

Godfrey Arthur

3rd Rock
Post  Posted 24 Sep 2019 10:46 pm    

I get a kick out of listening to post-hardcore, mathrock, screamo.

Perhaps living in San Diego where some of this genre was developed has something to do with it. I made a point to see Gang Of Four decades ago when they played San Diego at some school hall.

As we age, we tend to stick to what he heard in our youth. But the youth keep springing up every year so new music no matter how alien is there like it or not.

From an art standpoint, the new music is still art.

Perhaps it's beyond our comprehension. But talent and emotions will not cease.

Is this angst of post-hardcore leading up to something unseen?

It's said when artists write about something, it's a sign- post for a quickening.

b0b

Cloverdale, CA, USA
Post  Posted 24 Sep 2019 11:18 pm    

Country isn't country anymore, and rock isn't rock. Here's what Billboard is calling rock these days.

https://www.billboard.com/articles/columns/rock/8490133/best-rock-songs-2018-top-25

I can't relate. Alien

Godfrey Arthur

3rd Rock
Post  Posted 25 Sep 2019 12:32 am    

b0b wrote:
Country isn't country anymore, and rock isn't rock. Here's what Billboard is calling rock these days.

https://www.billboard.com/articles/columns/rock/8490133/best-rock-songs-2018-top-25

I can't relate. Alien

Interesting list. Surprised to see McCartney, Costello and Panic At The Disco among the nubiles.

Costello is crooning more on his new album, Look Now.

Joyce Manor - "Million Dollars To Kill Me" reminds me of Weezer and their hit song Pork And Beans.

The top pick The 1975 was just here last Sept 11th.
They're pop-rock.

The list's songs sound like McCartney nursery rhymes meets Talking Heads.

Yup, rock ain't rock anymore.

Mama rock-a-bye's 3 alarm chili?

Not like this:

Assume Nothing - Signs Of Misery
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f7SLf7jdN8o

Do you think Billboard will blurb these guys?

How about these guys?
ANY GIVEN DAY - Savior
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z1C4lrcQBZw

Bury Tomorrow - Black Flame
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ITTOS1otEuk

Lots of these metalcore bands out there but will Billboard see them?

Think not.

Do you remember the car scene in the futuristic Demolition Man where Sandra Bullock and Ben Bratt sing along to the Armor Hotdog jingle?

Poor Stallone...he's still expendable...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2DoyYn-k-M0

Billboard should list that in that link The 25 Best Rock Albums!

Muttering

Fred Treece

California, USA
Post  Posted 25 Sep 2019 8:12 pm    

Oh just let the kids play their music and call it whatever they want. If they think it’s rock, then it’s rock for them. Billboard didn’t kill rock n roll by lending the name to the stuff being posted here. Older people have their music. In fact we have too much great stuff to listen to in one lifetime. Youngsters who love their music as much as we love ours will get to that point too.

I was doing a solo acoustic gig in an art gallery, and some younger people dropped by to listen to some of my stuff. One guy in the group said he dug my “old school” approach. As if I knew of any other school...

Joachim Kettner

Germany
Post  Posted 26 Sep 2019 10:00 am    

Fred Treece wrote:

I was doing a solo acoustic gig in an art gallery, and some younger people dropped by to listen to some of my stuff. One guy in the group said he dug my “old school” approach. As if I knew of any other school...

What was your repertoire at this gig. I'm curious Smile

Fred Treece

California, USA
Post  Posted 26 Sep 2019 8:32 pm    

Ahh, what the hell. I found my master set list from about 12 years ago. Easier than typing it out in a pm. Here ya go...

Joachim Kettner

Germany
Post  Posted 27 Sep 2019 7:48 am    

Thanks Fred. Classical Gas is a piece I still can't play thoroughly, I always get stuck somewhere.

Fred Treece

California, USA
Post  Posted 27 Sep 2019 8:02 am    

Don’t feel bad, Joachim. I haven’t played most of that list for over a decade now. I get stuck playing all of them. There are some time signature changes in Classical Gas that throw off the foot tapping pattern.

Al Evans

Austin, Texas, USA
Post  Posted 28 Sep 2019 6:13 am    

Fred Treece wrote:
Ahh, what the hell. I found my master set list from about 12 years ago.

What a great list!

--Al Evans

Kenneth Kotsay

Davie/Ft Lauderdale, Florida
Post  Posted 8 Oct 2019 8:28 am    

Rock will always live, just take a view on Youtube, there's thousands of recorded rock videos of thousands of rock songs from the 1950s to 2019.

Mozart ever die out? and yes, Elvis can be found somewhere on planet earth, my guess is as good as your guess!!!!

Len Amaral

Rehoboth,MA 02769
Post  Posted 9 Oct 2019 7:33 am    

Maybe this is related to rock not being what it use to be. It seems there are no new guitar heros to idolize. We all associated our favorite groups with the guitar players, diverse styles and techniques they played. I guess I'm showing my age but I don't get inspired by any new music.

Dustin Rigsby

Parts Unknown, Ohio
Post  Posted 14 Nov 2019 8:34 am    

Hyper- Feminism and Political Correctness run amok killed rock and roll. It is a genre based on rebellion and debauchery. Who wants to write rock and roll songs about caring about “her” feelings. Those types of attitudes and lifestyle is frowned upon today....ymmv

b0b

Cloverdale, CA, USA
Post  Posted 14 Nov 2019 9:04 am    

Political posts are not allowed on The Steel Guitar Forum, Dustin. I guess you could say they're "politically incorrect". Laughing

In case you overlooked it, this is the wording in the forum's rules:
Quote:
We have a diverse, world-wide membership. People join the Steel Guitar Forum to learn about steel guitar, discuss steel guitar music, and to meet other steel guitarists. Political discussions would divide our membership. They would alienate people from different countries and people with opposing political views. For that reason, political topics are not allowed on this forum.

b0b

Cloverdale, CA, USA
Post  Posted 14 Nov 2019 9:07 am    

As originator of this topic, and in light of some recent rock band discoveries, I'm closing this discussion.