The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  My Emmons single-coil...
Roger Rettig

Naples, FL
Post  Posted 18 Sep 2019 7:13 am    

Something's a bit odd. I had an awful time at rehearsal on Monday night - I was chasing my tone and no amount of amp-tweaking seemed to help. At times it sounded as though my bar had a 'flat spot' and the strings were almost buzzing.

Could this be a symptom of a failing pick-up? It'll be very frustrating if so - only last week I made the 1700-mile round trip to Nashville to get some changes put on the guitar; if my pick-up was going to fail couldn't it have done so while I was there???

Next question:

Has anyone tried a Wallace True-Tone in a LeGrande? If I need a new E9 pick-up this is what I'm tempted to try.

How difficult is changing one out on my Emmons?

Thanks for any thoughts you may have.

Drew Pierce

Arkansas, USA
Post  Posted 18 Sep 2019 7:41 am    

Sorry about your issue, Roger. Any competent electric guitar tech should be able to test your pickup and determine if it's bad. (Tone control pots and neck selector switches can also get glitchy.) If the pickup is bad, the same tech should be able to replace it with the pickup of your choice. Neither procedure should cost more than a minimum fee as it should take no more than an hour to do both.

And you wouldn't have to drive 1700 miles!

Bobby Boggs

Upstate SC.
Post  Posted 18 Sep 2019 1:15 pm    

If you do need a pickup? Not saying you do. And can't get a new Emmons. I like the single coil Mullen pickups. And I have both.

As for your pick-up? Are you bypassing the tone control? Most do. If not, try that first. Also your neck selector switch as well as the bypass switch can cause you grief. Work both back and forth many times. Might clear it up. Then spray with contact cleaner. As mentioned, any good guitar tech can test it. Or buy a multimeter and test it yourself.

b.

Jack Goodson

new brockton,alabama (deceased)
Post  Posted 18 Sep 2019 4:13 pm     emmons single coil?

a few years back i had an original emmons single coil that went bad. i sent it to jerry wallace at true tone and had him rewind it usuing the original pickup magnets, it sounded better than new....thanks jack

Jack Stanton

Somewhere in the swamps of Jersey
Post  Posted 18 Sep 2019 7:13 pm    

Roger,
Rather than replaceingbyour pick ups with true tones, consider having Brad rewind your stock Emmons pickups. I had him redo a couple of my stock Emmons pickups that we're wound around 20,000 homes down to 17.5 and the results were stunning.

Roger Rettig

Naples, FL
Post  Posted 18 Sep 2019 7:20 pm    

Thanks, everyone!

Jack - 'Brad'? Who do you mean? Different from Jerry Wallace?

I'll try the suggestions when I get to my guitar - it's at the theatre and the next 'call' is Saturday.

Jack Stanton

Somewhere in the swamps of Jersey
Post  Posted 19 Sep 2019 3:43 am    

Roger, yes, Jerry. Sorry, senior moment.

Roger Rettig

Naples, FL
Post  Posted 19 Sep 2019 4:34 am    

Thanks, Jack - my life is riddled with such 'moments'!

Bobby:

Do you mean 'bypass the tone-control' merely by flipping the tiny switch? I never give that any thought. That TC is just added weight in my view and I haven't ever used it in twenty-one years of playing LeGrandes. The switch might get flipped by mistake, of course but, with the TC 'rolled off', there are usually no consequences.

If, though, you mean bypassing with the aid of a soldering iron then that, I fear, is another matter.

Per Berner

Skövde, Sweden
Post  Posted 19 Sep 2019 4:41 am    

I used to own a Legrande II with Emmons original pickups, and soundwise my present Zum Hybrid with a Truetone (17.5 k) is very similar. So I guess that would be a good replacement if needed.

Roger Rettig

Naples, FL
Post  Posted 19 Sep 2019 4:44 am    

At rehearsal on Monday I didn't touch the C6 neck. That's the first thing I'm going to do on Saturday (I'll get there early!) If the back neck works okay I'll know it's my E9 pick-up.

Could the sound I described earlier (almost like a sitar-bar sound, but only here and there and occasionally) be ascribed to a bad pick-up? I know my BJS bar is perfect.

In a rehearsal situation, what with the MD giving notes and me having to scribble things down, there really wasn't time on Monday to study my problem. Anyway, it's sometimes a challenge setting up in a new venue and finding the 'sweet spot'.

Bob Hoffnar

Austin, Tx
Post  Posted 19 Sep 2019 6:14 am    

I would be surprised if your pickup is bad. Sounds like a wiring or connection issue. It is a super easy thing to deal with by any electric guitar tech. There is nothing different or special about pickup wiring on a pedalsteel.

Bobby Boggs

Upstate SC.
Post  Posted 19 Sep 2019 6:55 am    

Yes Roger. Just work the switch back and forth. And as mentioned the neck selector switch as well. Both have given me grief down through the years. But when mine malfunctioned I had a constant bad tone. But by doing the aforementioned had mine back working in short order. Have used use contact cleaner if it was available.

Jim Kennedy

Brentwood California, USA
Post  Posted 19 Sep 2019 7:37 am    

Living in Florida, humidity could be causing the contacts on your switches and tone controls to oxidize. Very common in humid climates. It does not take much oxidation to cause problems. Work them vigorously and clean them as suggested. If that does not work bypass your switches and controls. If you are not comfortable doing this, any competent guitar tech can find the problem.

Roger Rettig

Naples, FL
Post  Posted 19 Sep 2019 7:55 am    

Thank you, guys. I will take switch-cleaner to the theater this weekend and try those fixes.

Failing that, Ft Myers must have a decent music store (apart from GC!!!) and I'd only have to take the body of the guitar to the tech.

As always, I'm very appreciative of all of you for taking the time to help me.

Clyde Mattocks

Kinston, North Carolina, USA
Post  Posted 20 Sep 2019 5:37 pm    

As to the question of Emmons stock vs Trutones, I have two LeGrande II guitars. One has stock and the other Trutones. I never change my amp settings no matter which one I play and I can tell no difference. I believe both are 17.5.

Roger Rettig

Naples, FL
Post  Posted 21 Sep 2019 4:30 am    

Thanks, Clyde - that's helpful.

I get back to my guitar this afternoon and I will provide an update in light of the good advice you've all been kind enough to offer.

Roger Rettig

Naples, FL
Post  Posted 22 Sep 2019 3:28 pm    

I'm not sure quite how, but everything seems okay now.

I did apply some switch-cleaner to the selector=switch, etc, before yesterday's rehearsal and it all sounded fairly okay. The room isn't the best so I'm not ecstatic about my tone there.

One odd thing, though, and it may be at the root of my troubles. My 7th string on the E9 is a bit 'buzzy' and I now think maybe that was obtruding into everything and causing me to suspect the pick-up. I haven't changed strings yet but I will before the next call (Tuesday).

Thanks again for all the help, guys.

J R Rose

Keota, Oklahoma, USA
Post  Posted 26 Sep 2019 11:43 am    

Hey Roger, If you do change out the pickup the Jerry Wallace True Tone at 17.500 ohms single coil is the way to go. You will love it. Your Okie Friend,
J.R.

Bob Snelgrove

san jose, ca
Post  Posted 30 Sep 2019 9:17 am    

A $5.00 test meter will tell all. Anyone can set it to "ohms", plug a cable right into the guitar and check the tip and sleeve of the other cable end.

bob