The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Steel Guitar Strings
b0b

Cloverdale, CA, USA
Post  Posted 11 Sep 2019 8:29 am    

Over the past week I've received fresh shipments from GHS, D'Addario, and S.I.T.. Click "Strings" at the top of any Forum page to shop online. Pay via credit/debit with PayPal (no account required) or send a check/money order.

GHS: E9th, C6th, and single strings in plain steel, nickel wound "Boomers", nickel-iron "Progressives" and stainless "Super Steel". Also cryogenic E9th and C6th "Americana" sets and singles, lap steel (C6th and E major), resonator, and our own packaged D9th and D6th sets.

D'Addario: E9th and C6th "XL Pro Steel" and "NYXL" sets. Singles in plain steel and nickel-iron "NYXL".

S.I.T.: E9th, C6th and U-12 in nickel and stainless, including the very popular Buddy Emmons E9th Stainless. I've recently added S.I.T plain singles. Also our own packaged 8-string pure nickel sets for E13th and A6/C6.

John Pearce: E9th, C6th, resonator and lap steel sets.

Bottom line - I have a lot of strings in stock. Gotta move 'em out. Mr. Green

b0b

Cloverdale, CA, USA
Post  Posted 20 Sep 2019 2:54 pm    

I still have a lot of strings in stock! Whoa!

Billy Knowles

Kenansville, N. C. 28349 usa
Post  Posted 20 Sep 2019 8:29 pm     strings

Bob what is the difference between the D'addario XL and NYXL sets
thanks, Billy

STEEL GUITAR EAST

Emmons authorized dealer and approved service technician

my web site: http://www.steelguitareast.com

b0b

Cloverdale, CA, USA
Post  Posted 21 Sep 2019 10:51 am     Re: strings

Billy Knowles wrote:
thanks, Billy

The D'Addario XL sets are stainless wound, very bright. I haven't tried them because I generally don't like stainless (personal preference), but a lot of people do. I suspect they're a lot like the S.I.T. Buddy Emmons stainless, but I'm not sure. Maybe someone who's tried them both can elaborate.

The D'Addario NYXL wounds are a premium nickel alloy. They aren't as super bright as the XL wounds. I carry them as singles as well as pedal steel sets. Since their introduction last year they have become extremely popular. Paul Franklin Jr. uses and endorses the D'Addario NYXL strings.

If a guitar requires brighter strings, I gravitate towards the GHS Progressive nickel-iron 'Americana' cryogenics. They're not quite as bright as stainless, are very stable and last a long time. I carry replacement singles for them as well.

Some guitars just have to have nickel wound strings. GHS, S.I.T. and John Pearse all have excellent nickel-wound sets for steel guitar. I carry the GHS Boomers (nickel), Progressives (nickel-iron), and Super Steels (stainless) as singles for people who need custom gauges. I personally use GHS cryogenic nickel wound more than any other strings for custom tunings. They are very stable, long-lasting and they sound great.

If you need to get mellower than standard nickel wound, GHS makes "Rollerwound Pure Nickel" sets. I don't sell these by the gauge because there isn't much demand. I've also created 'pure nickel' sets for 8-string steel guitars through a special arrangement with S.I.T.. These have become very popular.

Regarding plain singles: quite frankly, I don't hear much difference among plain strings of any brand. It's hard to keep all gauges of 3 different brands (D'Addario, GHS, S.I.T.) in stock. With plains, people shouldn't worry much about mixing brands if I'm out of something. Feel free to disagree, but this has been my experience. With plains, getting the right gauges is the important thing, in my opinion.

b0b

Cloverdale, CA, USA
Post  Posted 4 Oct 2019 9:37 am    

Fresh shipments came this week. Well stocked!

Tom Spaulding

Tennessee, USA
Post  Posted 4 Oct 2019 1:50 pm     Re: strings

Billy Knowles wrote:
thanks, Billy

b0b wrote:
"The D'Addario XL sets are stainless wound, very bright. I haven't tried them because I generally don't like stainless (personal preference), but a lot of people do. I suspect they're a lot like the S.I.T. Buddy Emmons stainless, but I'm not sure. Maybe someone who's tried them both can elaborate.

I think b0b meant to say "ProSteel" not XL. D'Addario makes the ProSteel EPS490 and EPS500 sets (E9 and C6), which are the Stainless Steel sets.

XL strings are the standard electric guitar strings, nickel/steel wound, carbon steel plains. D'Addario does not make an XL set of pedal steel strings.

NYXL are the premium Nickel formula which are not as bright as the ProSteels and are a bit brighter than the Nickel/Steel XLs (for those who may be using XL singles as sets).

NYXLs tend to stay in tune better and last longer. Lots of players have found them to be a happy medium between the brightness Stainless and the warmth of Nickel.

b0b

Cloverdale, CA, USA
Post  Posted 4 Oct 2019 2:25 pm    

Well, they're both. Pro Steels have a big XL on the box, which is why I called them XL's.