The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Pedal hex wrench
Ken Barrett

Sebastian, Fl.
Post  Posted 18 Sep 2019 7:09 am    

Is there a standard size wrench for the hex nut to tune pedals and knee levers?
Is it 3/16th or 5mm?
I'm guessing turn clockwise to raise pitch?
Is there a method / map for which nut goes to which pedal or is get under and look?

I have played guitar for over 60 years, PSG for 5 & bass for 7 years. Currently, I play bass in a band. I also collect guitars and basses. I live in Florida on the east coast. In my picture is a 1948 Gibson Grande of mine that was used in a Hank Williams movie.

Ken Barrett

Sebastian, Fl.
Post  Posted 18 Sep 2019 7:19 am     Which hex nut goes where

I see that when you push the pedal, you can see which nut moves.
Hey, I'm new. LOL
I have played guitar for over 60 years, PSG for 5 & bass for 7 years. Currently, I play bass in a band. I also collect guitars and basses. I live in Florida on the east coast. In my picture is a 1948 Gibson Grande of mine that was used in a Hank Williams movie.

b0b

Cloverdale, CA, USA
Post  Posted 18 Sep 2019 7:29 am    

There's one column for each string.

The top section is for raises, the bottom section is for lowers. When there are 2 raises, feel the tuning nuts to see which one is actually doing the work.

Clockwise increases the amount of the change, counter-clockwise decreases it.

Most guitars use 3/16" tuning nuts. You can buy a wrench here.

Ken Barrett

Sebastian, Fl.
Post  Posted 18 Sep 2019 8:57 am    

Thank you, Bob. I have a 3/16th. I just did want to use the wrong one and strip something. With your help, I was able to tune my pedals and the guitar sounds great. I am going to attempt to tune the knee levers now.
Thank you for your help, Ken.

Bobby D. Jones

West Virginia, USA
Post  Posted 18 Sep 2019 7:25 pm     Pedal hex wrench

3/16 or 5mm, They are so close in size, They will interchange and work fine.
Each string has its own set of tuner nuts up and down, In the window below the changer.
The upper 2 or 3 raise nuts, Will raise to the proper note when turned clockwise. Lower if turned counter clock wise.The lowering section, Bottom 2 nuts, Will take the string down to the note, When turned clockwise. Turned counter clockwise will raise the string back toward the open note.

Welcome to the world of the steel guitar.

Ken Barrett

Sebastian, Fl.
Post  Posted 18 Sep 2019 7:41 pm    

Thank you Bobby. Yes, the nuts were driving me nuts, Ken.

Ian Rae

Redditch, England
Post  Posted 19 Sep 2019 12:14 am    

For reference, 3/16" approximates to 4.8mm

Jon Light

Saugerties, NY
Post  Posted 19 Sep 2019 3:31 am    

It is my experience that the 5mm wrench will work on both sizes unless a 3/16" nut is very very stiff on the rod in which case the wrench might slip.
OTOH a 3/16" wrench can be such a hassle to try to fit onto a 5mm nut (or impossible) that I'm comfortable calling it simply the wrong size.

I have yet to figure out why some makers chose a different size from the others. And I have no idea which of the two can be considered the 'norm' and which the deviants.

Herb Steiner

Spicewood TX 78669
Post  Posted 26 Sep 2019 10:00 am    

Jon Light wrote:

I have yet to figure out why some makers chose a different size from the others. And I have no idea which of the two can be considered the 'norm' and which the deviants.

In my decades of doing this silly thing, I'd say the 3/16 nut is the FAR more common one until recently. The first 5mm guitar I owned was a mid-2000s Fessenden. Could be his supplier only had one size but not the other, and he had guitars that had to go out. Or not. I didn't ask. He took a standard 3/16 GeorgeL tuning wrench, stuck a 5mm Allen wrench into the hole, and whacked it with a hammer. Bingo! 5mm wrench in the first 3/8th inch, and 3/16 on the bottom.

I did ask a builder friend of mine why his guitar had solid white tuning nuts instead of the more common opaque variety, and he said "the tone, man... the TONE!" Wink

Son, we live in a world with walls, and those walls have to be guarded by men with steel guitars. Who's gonna do it? You? You, Lt. Weinberg?

Jon Light

Saugerties, NY
Post  Posted 26 Sep 2019 11:34 am    

Yep -- same first encounter with 5mm.

*sigh* Now I've got to go over to white nylons. If it's not one tone thing, it's another.

Dennis Rehrig

Pennsylvania, USA
Post  Posted 28 Sep 2019 5:52 pm     pedal hex wrench

where can you buy 3/16 hex nuts?