The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Fender New Tone Master Deluxe and Twin Reverb amps
Dennis Brion

Atwater, Ohio USA
Post  Posted 1 Aug 2019 3:21 am    

Hey Greg Fender has another new style blackout champion 100XL coming out this fall. Supposed to have choices for amp styles like twin reverb on board plus all the typical effects...and Guitar Center has them on presale price of $399 ! That's with 2 x 12 and 40lbs. I am waiting to here a demo on this one, how could you go wrong?
Dennis

Greg Cutshaw

Corry, PA, USA
Post  Posted 1 Aug 2019 4:00 am    

Watch this video on the new Quilter Tone Block 202. Stayed tuned long enough to see where Quilter shows the 202 waveforms when hooked up to a real speaker compared to the Marshall tube amp. Note how the 202 models the crossover and harmonic distortion accurately. Lot's of great tips in this video on how to setup up a test bench as well.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GAEdc1l-t6g&t=262s

Also look at the Fractal Axe III. IR's for the speaker cabs and real models for the amps. For tube amp models, the real tone stacks are used including a switchable bright cap, bias settings, screen grid circuits, transformer impedance, power supply sag and voltage, harmonic content as a function of preamp and power amp amplitude.

These are all recent developments and a step better than the lame tube amp copies of just a few years ago!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger

Greg Cutshaw

Corry, PA, USA
Post  Posted 1 Aug 2019 4:12 am    

Dennis, saw the Champion 100, didn't realize that the 100XL is coming:

https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/Champ100XL--fender-champion-100-xl-100-watt-2x12-inch-combo-amp

Fender Champion 50XL vs. Boss Katana 50:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=65qpPXCwX1Q
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger

Dennis Brion

Atwater, Ohio USA
Post  Posted 1 Aug 2019 5:01 am    

Wish Fender would show a pedal steel playing in the 50XL and the 100XL....can't afford a real tube amp and if it's real close i will be an owner!

Greg Cutshaw

Corry, PA, USA
Post  Posted 1 Aug 2019 5:45 am    

Well if they give me one I will test it LOL! It takes a good 100 hours to test and document an amp review. If you get one, post some sounds with a steel for us to hear. Maybe Fender would consider having a display/demo booth at the Dallas steel show.

Dennis Brion

Atwater, Ohio USA
Post  Posted 1 Aug 2019 6:00 am     Fender

I Have a Fender 25R with a 10" speaker has that fender tone, rich, clean tone just needs bigger fuller sound if that makes sense. I like it a lot great practice amp. I am only 3 1/2 months into learning pedal steel on my dad's custom built d10 from 1968. He had an original Fender Twin and I still remember the sound! It would be nice but way to heavy for me at 66 so if the 100XL sounds close I will grab one. I don't expect to be playing out any time soon but would really like that bigger, fuller sound of a Fender amp!

Erv Niehaus

Litchfield, MN, USA
Post  Posted 1 Aug 2019 6:59 am    

The Fender Vibrosonic amp from a few years ago has one channel just for steel. Very Happy
Erv

Tony Prior

Charlotte NC
Post  Posted 1 Aug 2019 12:29 pm    

a friend of mine called me this morning and we talked about these amps, his comment " these are the most accurate looking imitations of the TR and the DR with absolutely nothing in common that Fender ever made " !

CURRENT MUSIC TRACKS AT > https://tprior2241.wixsite.com/website

Greg Cutshaw

Corry, PA, USA
Post  Posted 1 Aug 2019 3:15 pm    

If the nameplate says Fender it will sell! Just like Sears, Craftsman and Monkey Wards used to.

Len Amaral

Rehoboth,MA 02769
Post  Posted 1 Aug 2019 4:22 pm    

Fender has the $$$ muscle for R&D and if they have their ear to the ground you would think they would want to produce a lighter weight version amp and capitalize on the Twin image. Time will tell when these amps get used in the field and reviews get posted.

I have a Jones for the way Fender amps look. Might as well mention VOX and Marshall as they look nifty also👍

Dennis Brion

Atwater, Ohio USA
Post  Posted 1 Aug 2019 4:32 pm     Fender

Yep especially now that Peavy is in trouble...they can own the market again if they want!

Tony Prior

Charlotte NC
Post  Posted 2 Aug 2019 12:23 am    

the thing about it is not everyone is looking for a lightweight amp, some are just looking for a great OVERALL AMP.

I'm somewhat surprised that by now, Fender hasn't issued a HEAD only version of either, or both, Twin Reverb and the Deluxe Reverb, in classic 2 channel circuitry design.

The market can easily support a 22 watt DR head or an 85 watt TR. I'm willing to go on a limb here, most of us would own BOTH if available. Smile

And it also may be possible that they indeed did think of this but also know that 50% of their customers would buy one , the other or both and never buy another amp ever again. There goes the opportunity for MORE new models next year ! Laughing

David Nugent

Gum Spring, Va.
Post  Posted 2 Aug 2019 3:51 am    

Seem to recall that Fender did offer the '65 Deluxe' reissue in a head only version for a short time.

Jerry Erickson

Atlanta,IL 61723
Post  Posted 12 Aug 2019 6:50 am    

David, that one was a Deluxe VM, vintage modified.

Tim Whitlock

Colorado, USA
Post  Posted 12 Aug 2019 7:39 am    

Isn't a Dual Showman Reverb essentially a Twin head? Those things were really bulky. Might as well carry the combo. One less trip to the car. Likewise with the Deluxe Reverb. It's portable as is - doubt if there would be much demand for a head.

Godfrey Arthur

3rd Rock
Post  Posted 12 Aug 2019 9:07 am    

Erv Niehaus wrote:
I have a standing policy: Fender for tubes, Peavey for solid state. Very Happy
Erv

I agree. Here's a clip, sans the long and winded choad of a demo fotch:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iUs_ysovLJM

Fender-y sparkle but missing the sweet sag of tubes.

Today's ear is all digital and this is what they are hoping to win over.

Not us been-there-at-the-primordial-ooze-fest old guys.

Donny Hinson

Glen Burnie, Md. U.S.A.
Post  Posted 12 Aug 2019 3:42 pm    

Greg Cutshaw wrote:
Watch this video on the new Quilter Tone Block 202. Stayed tuned long enough to see where Quilter shows the 202 waveforms when hooked up to a real speaker compared to the Marshall tube amp. Note how the 202 models the crossover and harmonic distortion accurately.

I've always thought that solid-state and tube sounds (from good amps) are pretty much the same when you're talking "clean" sounds. This video seems to validate what I've thought, that until you get into the overdrive/distortion area, the amps are virtually identical as far as what the sound and output waveforms indicate.

Comments?

Greg Cutshaw

Corry, PA, USA
Post  Posted 12 Aug 2019 5:30 pm    

The waveforms shown in the Quilter video for the 202 Tone Block are NOT typical solid state amp waveforms!

Quilter has managed to accurately model the tube crossover distortion, harmonics and interactions with the speaker's dynamics. It's not clear to me whether that technology is only in the model 202 Tone Block or in all the Quilter Tone Blocks and other amps. I played though the Steelaire for a few months and other than modeling a bit of tube power supply compression I didn't feel that it sounded anything like a tube amp.

The 202 Tone Block waveforms appear to mimic the tube amp waveforms for both clean sounds and when overdriven into clipping at the output stages.

Tony Prior

Charlotte NC
Post  Posted 13 Aug 2019 12:18 am    

Tim Whitlock wrote:
Isn't a Dual Showman Reverb essentially a Twin head? Those things were really bulky. Might as well carry the combo. One less trip to the car. Likewise with the Deluxe Reverb. It's portable as is - doubt if there would be much demand for a head.

Yes Dual Showman Reverb is indeed a Twin reverb., where are they today ? Why did they stop making them ?

Speaker choices vary with different heads , the options are abundant. Its not only about portability but rather choices for different gigs / venues .

Marshall, Drz's etc... various other manufactures offer HEADS both tube and solid state, Fender rarely does but typically does not other than the BASS amp series.

I happen to own 3 different heads, none of them are Fender and none perform like a Twin Reverb.

I sold my 67 Showman head a few years back, I probably need to get it back as I've been chasing a compatible replacement ever since ! Sad

As Bill Murray said " Moron, Bus is leaving ".

Multiple trips to the car ? you mean you carry stuff ? Very Happy

I've since upgraded to the rock and roller R2 Cart, the smaller one, one trip, of course no stairs ! Supports 350 pounds, very portable

Amp, speaker cab , Steel, seat, gig bag, guitar. Sometimes amp HEAD, 2 speaker cabs ( 1 x 12's)

Very Happy

Dennis Brion

Atwater, Ohio USA
Post  Posted 12 Sep 2019 3:45 pm    

Well some stores have the champion 100XL in stock for delivery, anybody played one or heard one?

Brett Resnick

Tennessee, USA
Post  Posted 13 Sep 2019 7:50 am     Fender twin tone master

I know it’s easy to be skeptical about these new solid state twins, I own one and can say it is a phenomenal amp! The amp really does sound like a twin reverb without the hernia inducing weight. It has 2 neo 12’s in it to take the weight down considerably. I own a 69 twin with 2 JBL’s and it sounds killer but it is my last choice for taking it out on a gig because of the weight. If I have a gig and want that twin tone for the material that is being played this amp can cover it and get 90 percent of that twin tone in my opinion I have compared the amps side by side and the tone stack in the solid state really comes through with that twin high end. I also have recorded with this amp and it really cut great in the mix, those recordings won’t be out till later this year. Hope this helps out if you have been on fence about trying one.

Jonathan Shacklock

London, UK
Post  Posted 14 Sep 2019 2:11 am    

Brett, big ask but if you’re in a position to do an A/B comparison I’m sure many of us would love to hear that!

I love old Fender amps and a big part of it is the classic looks. Take away the nagging feeling that you might not have the most optimal tubes installed or your reverb sounded better two days ago or when that fried eggs sound kicks in... and then make it a third of the weight. I have to say I like the way Fender are going with this.

forrest klott

Grand Rapids Mi USA
Post  Posted 14 Sep 2019 3:50 am    

Brett,

Were you playing steel or guitar thru it? I’m presuming steel but want to clarify that.

Thanks!

Skeeter

Greg Cutshaw

Corry, PA, USA
Post  Posted 14 Sep 2019 6:25 am    

Another thread with one buyer:

https://www.tdpri.com/threads/please-buy-a-tone-master-twin-reverb.971625/

Brett Resnick

Tennessee, USA
Post  Posted 14 Sep 2019 2:48 pm     Fender tone master

Hey Jonathan, I am currently out on tour with Kacey till the 22nd. When I get back home I will try and get an A and B comparison recorded. I was playing steel through it Forrest.

Brett