The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  DV Mark Little Jazz with the 12, not the 8.
Tony Prior

Charlotte NC
Post  Posted 26 Aug 2019 12:36 am    

So over the weekend while scouring the net, my usual sites, I ran across a USED DV Mark Jazz 12 , the model with the 12" speaker and larger cabinet as opposed to the 8" speaker Little Jazz model. I called and it was said to be in excellent or better than excellent condition. The very low price was not to be ignored, I could not turn it down so its on its way .

Spec'd at 45 watts into 8 ohms,(web claims 50) and 60 watts into 4 ohms, Special 12" speaker, on board digital reverb, Ext speaker out and AUX input. 22 pounds. Volume, Bass, Mid and Treble controls. Single channel, no drive channel. The speaker is the least of my concern as I have a couple of Emmi's standing by.

I do have a DV Mark 50 watt head which in the scheme of things I like a lot, its my backup amp. I used it last week as a PA head in a small venue with a 4 channel mixer. I imagine that two these amps are the same minus the drive channel.

Grabbing a single 12 combo at 22 pounds just seems so "responsible " . I'm always looking for an alternative amp for my bi-monthly small room shows. Low to moderate volume, small footprint. If this performs anything like the "50 head" all will be well.

CURRENT MUSIC TRACKS AT > https://tprior2241.wixsite.com/website

Last edited by Tony Prior on 2 Sep 2019 3:57 am; edited 1 time in total

Larry Dering

Missouri, USA
Post  Posted 26 Aug 2019 9:59 am    

Tony, these are well loved in the archtop jazz community. Alleged to be the same amp as you have but in a combo. Sounds like a great find.

Tony Prior

Charlotte NC
Post  Posted 26 Aug 2019 1:02 pm    

Larry Dering wrote:
Tony, these are well loved in the archtop jazz community. Alleged to be the same amp as you have but in a combo. Sounds like a great find.

Hopefully Larry ! That is what I am expecting, "the same or very similar " Very Happy

Paid $279 !

Tony Prior

Charlotte NC
Post  Posted 29 Aug 2019 7:51 am    

Amp arrived UPS no problems, on time, no damage , no issues , just a box with an amp in it !

Ok back to the amp , for the life of me I can't find any reason to NOT use this amp on my small gigs . Just like the 50 watt DV Head I have, this one packs plenty of clean gain , plenty of LOW END, more than needed, a very wide MID Range profile and a wide HI end profile as well. Digital reverb, well there's plenty of that as well. I may swap the speaker with one of my EMMIs but not until after I use it on a gig. First pass with the Tele, very workable, nothing offensive. Its no DR Z but it will do what I need on my small bi-monthly gig.

At 20 pounds and $279 bucks, not much to complain about . Oh yeah, it looks like its brand new.

PS: Guitar Center packed this amp extremely well, double bubble wrap. Even had cardboard over the grill cloth. Good job GC.

Larry Dering

Missouri, USA
Post  Posted 29 Aug 2019 1:11 pm    

Dang Tony, that thing looks new. What a great buy. Hope it works great on the gig.

Tony Prior

Charlotte NC
Post  Posted 30 Aug 2019 12:50 am    

Larry Dering wrote:
Dang Tony, that thing looks new. What a great buy. Hope it works great on the gig.

Thx Larry, I may send it back it has a very small black mark on the side ! Laughing

My wife said the same thing, " are you sure this is used " ?

So far it has passed the "ON FOR MANY HOURS TEST" and it still, works ! Very Happy

Its pretty darn nice, but the proof will be using it on the next small show which is not until Sept 12. I play this small show the 2nd and 4th Thursday of each month, small room, small footprint , low to moderate volume, etc. I've been on this show for over 4 years now . The band has been doing this show for 7 years ! Incredible ! A small restaurant with a back room that holds around 100, typically it is full or near capacity each show. Couldn't ask for a better gig, people who love Steel guitar and Country music ! Plus a NO DRAMA 5 piece band. We just need to contain the volume as the restaurant is still open. The owners usually come in and sit and listen for about half hour each show as well.

I've used various amps, all good, but I am always seeking the "better" one for this gig. Better as in small, lite weight and can do the job, with reverb and an ext speaker out. We run ext speakers on the opposite side of the room.

Tony Prior

Charlotte NC
Post  Posted 30 Aug 2019 5:06 am    

Ok major flaw, poorly designed speaker baffle, but not to the point of return though. The speaker is mounted to the baffle with 8 studs and nuts, if the nuts are too tight, which some are, the stud turns with the nuts. Pulling the grill cloth off reveals the studs have NO screw slot. So either make a new baffle, easy enough or pull the baffle completely apart and replace the studs with slotted heads. We don't need 8 studs , 4 will do the trick. This is a very common problem with inexpensive enclosures. I purchased a Fender single 12 cab with the exact same issue,some simple mods brought it back to life.

The good news regarding the DV is that the baffle is 5/8 plywood, not MDF or particle board, easy modified if you so choose. Such is life !

Larry Dering

Missouri, USA
Post  Posted 30 Aug 2019 6:56 pm    

Tony, good to know. What is the rest of the cabinet made of? Sounds like a decent build.

Tony Prior

Charlotte NC
Post  Posted 31 Aug 2019 2:37 am    

Larry Dering wrote:
Tony, good to know. What is the rest of the cabinet made of? Sounds like a decent build.

Its a plywood build , not bad overall. I think the speaker baffle is a bit of an oddity. The pressed speaker mount studs with NO SCREW slots is lame. They probably saved 2 cents, maybe 1 cent. Or maybe no CENTS ! As I mentioned above, this is common with LO END cabs and not the first time I have run into it. A few minutes of cussing and labor and it gets resolved !

I did take it all apart and added new speaker stud screws and installed the EMMI speaker. It took longer to remove the staples for the grill cloth than the entire event !

I am very pleased with the amp. The HI, MID,LOW EQ range of these DV amps make them very user friendly.

Tony Prior

Charlotte NC
Post  Posted 13 Sep 2019 12:58 am    

Last night I used the amp for my bi- monthly small room gig.

I will use it again and maybe all the time . I had been using a PV N112 or a comparable tube amp, Fender/Carvin etc...40/50 watters with a single 12.

Tone wise, with the EMMI speaker, I actually got a positive comment from a band member who is not generous with positive comments ! I thought the amp was easy to dial in, maybe not perfect as some would like, but certainly very respectable. Like most amps I use, I boost the bottom, reduce the mids and keep the hi end moderate. This amp did that just fine. The onboard reverb was very respectable.

The 20 pound weight or so was also not a complaint !

Using the amp with the Steel EQ settings for the Tele was also not an issue, I certainly prefer a tube amp like a DR Z, but for this room and the 4 or 5 songs I may play guitar, this was fine. I also used a NOBELS ODR-1 drive pedal ( original green one) with the Tele for the first time as well , not bad . It added a bit of grit , some hi end and proper level. I did also have an external speaker plugged in, another EMMI 12 across the room.

The only thing I noticed and it could have been just my imagination, but the Little JAzz 50 watter compared to the DV MARK MICRO 50 head that I have, seemed to NOT have as much overall gain . It was certainly loud enough and was VERY clean but I felt like I was pushing it, but I could be mistaken. Don't get me wrong, there was plenty of clean gain . It may also be the EMMI 12 I used, its an older one that I had kicking around. I'll use the amp for another gig or two as is and maybe swap the speaker again.

Overall impression, very satisfied. And I am very anal, to the point of foolishness . An amp that doesn't have total EQ range control is my major complaint, This small amp handles this just fine.

By the way, the Steel is a Legrande II with GL / E66 and 10:1. To my ears nothing was lost tone wise

over and out.

Larry Dering

Missouri, USA
Post  Posted 13 Sep 2019 10:31 am    

Tony, sounds like you have a winning combination for double duty. If it works well for the long term then it's a great find. The lightweight part is especially important. I have been using a Fender Mustang 111 v2 that handles both jobs well and is lightweight. I worry about the on board processing so I carry a backup amp. I could see me using your setup in the future.

b0b

Cloverdale, CA, USA
Post  Posted 13 Sep 2019 10:44 am    

I found that the 8" Little Jazz didn't cut it at dance band volume, but when I plugged it into a 12" EVM it worked great. Not wanting to haul two cabs, I use the Little Jazz for small rooms and bring the Milkman Half and Half instead (32 lbs) when there's a drummer involved.

Tony Prior

Charlotte NC
Post  Posted 13 Sep 2019 12:54 pm    

Larry Dering wrote:
Tony, sounds like you have a winning combination for double duty.

True Larry , but also dependent on the room and requirement . Small room low to moderate volume, all is good but I would not consider this amp for a larger Hall, also as stated by Bob above.

This amp is for this specif gig (show) I play it twice a month and have for over 4 years. Easy in, easy out, small footprint, more than enough clean level for the gig. Its excellent for its purpose. Very Happy

Larry Dering

Missouri, USA
Post  Posted 14 Sep 2019 4:48 am    

It may qualify for the turn it down crowd. I'm happy with a 50 watt amp until the band gets going. It has the potential to be another tool in our arsenal.

Doug Palmer

Greensboro, North Carolina, USA
Post  Posted 14 Sep 2019 5:33 am     New amp

Tony, this is very exciting news. Does this mean you are adding a new wing to your amplifier museum?

Tony Prior

Charlotte NC
Post  Posted 15 Sep 2019 1:41 am     Re: New amp

Doug Palmer wrote:
Tony, this is very exciting news. Does this mean you are adding a new wing to your amplifier museum?

yes, we have eliminated the Master Bath in favor for more amp space ! Very Happy But public parking is still an issue Sad I may be forced to have my family start parking their cars down the road...

Tony Prior

Charlotte NC
Post  Posted 27 Sep 2019 11:08 am    

Been using the amp on the small gigs, even put the stock Special DV NEO 12 back in. Its a keeper. What I really like about this amp, other than more than needed clean volume, is the MID range sweep. Dial it in or dial it out. My guitar player buddy ( on the gig) plugged in and he is getting one as well.

Like many of us here, I have purchased a lot of stuff with anticipation ( also called anxiety ) over the last several years. Most of it I sent back. This one stays put.

+/- 18 pounds
Reverb
Aux in
Phones out
ext speaker out
internal speaker on/off
small footprint
plenty of EQ, HI,LO and MID control
Plywood, not particle board

I still do have the DV Micro 50 head, its in a small carry case, stays in the Van, its the spare. So far I've needed it once, the Bass players amp didn't turn on so he used the Micro 50 for one set until he figured out what was up.

Last edited by Tony Prior on 28 Sep 2019 11:50 pm; edited 1 time in total

Larry Dering

Missouri, USA
Post  Posted 27 Sep 2019 5:38 pm    

Tony, that's great. I got to try one of these for myself. I almost pulled the trigger on one when they first hit the market for my archtop guitars. I ended up with a Quilter micropro mach2 and I'm less than happy with the sound.

Tony Prior

Charlotte NC
Post  Posted 27 Sep 2019 11:08 pm    

I should have mentioned that it also has an XLR out so hooking it up to a board ( PA ) would be no problem as well. Just a nice overall small package.

On it's own however, I would not consider this a larger room or big stage amp unless it is mic'd or sent to the board.

Tone wise, I really didn't hear much difference between the Emmi or the stock DV speaker. I wasn't expecting that.

Tony Prior

Charlotte NC
Post  Posted 11 Oct 2019 11:27 pm    

And the story continues. My guitar playing bandmate, who is not one to hand out compliments, was totally impressed then bought one , and is now using it on this same gig with me ! Now that we have matching amps I pray this doesn't mean we have to pull out our matching Seersucker sport jackets from 1965 !

John had the same reaction to this amp that I had , lots of LO, MID and Hi end sweep, way more than required. Plus the amp is clean pretty much all the way up the knob.

Last edited by Tony Prior on 12 Oct 2019 7:49 am; edited 1 time in total

Larry Dering

Missouri, USA
Post  Posted 12 Oct 2019 4:43 am    

I want to see those jackets. I may have a matching plaid suit and some white buck shoes. Now you have me on the ropes looking for another amp. My Quilter micropro mach2 is for sale.