The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  lloyd maines using mostly 2 and 3 pedals
Joseph Weidinger

Missouri, USA
Post  Posted 12 Sep 2019 6:41 am    

Hi. I'm new. I just started learning steel and I've been trying to copy Lloyd Maines. I was looking at https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7MJsYYbmWB0 and noticed that where I see others using mostly the 1 and 2 pedals, he's using the 2 and 3. While it feels more natural to me to use the 2 and 3 it's a little tricker during times when you don't want to move the high E string up... and I'm not that great at keeping the right strings muted yet.

I just wanted to confirm... is this what I'm seeing in that video? Is that common? Or does he have some custom steel that has the 1 and 3 switched?

Chuck Miller

Newton, Iowa, USA
Post  Posted 12 Sep 2019 7:04 am    

Lloyd is playing a guitar set up Day. Pedals 123 are then 321 and left and right knees reversed if e's are on the left.

Mathew Peluso

Portland, Oregon, USA
Post  Posted 12 Sep 2019 7:04 am    

Hi, Joseph. Welcome!
Lloyd's steel has what is referred to as the Day setup...the opposite of the more common Emmons pedal orientation. There's some history to it but the short version is that his C pedal is doing what your A pedal does. It's really a matter of preference and what makes sense for the individual player.

Ricky Davis

Bertram, Texas USA
Post  Posted 12 Sep 2019 7:07 am    

Yes Lloyd plays the "Day" set up...that is meaning the layout of the 3 pedals for E9 are the way Jimmy Day had them set up and they are pedal 1 raises strings 4&5 a whole tone; pedal 2 raises strings 3&6 a half tone; and pedal 3 raises strings 5&10 a whole tone.
The Emmons set up is the reverse of pedals 1 and 3.
Here is Lloyd Maines Copedent as I'm the one that sets up his steels when he uses the Sho~bud.

Ricky

Joseph Weidinger

Missouri, USA
Post  Posted 12 Sep 2019 7:29 am    

Interesting!

Well, I think it might feel more natural for me, especially the would-be C pedal a bit.

I got a new Mullen Discovery. I was looking at the mechanical actions underneath and my first impression was that it doesn't look that impossible to switch it around. If anyone has any major warnings about doing the switch myself ?

Bill Moore

Manchester, Michigan
Post  Posted 12 Sep 2019 9:16 am    

When you are just starting is not the time to be making changes to your guitar set-up. Why get involved in mechanical issues, when you don't yet understand what you are doing? I suggest that you make adjustments to your seating position, find a place that is most comfortable for working the pedals and levers. If you can find an experienced player locally, maybe they could offer some suggestions. I would leave everything just as it is, give it six months or a year, think about what you are doing, by then you will have a better idea of what works best for you. Good luck, and have patience!

Joseph Weidinger

Missouri, USA
Post  Posted 12 Sep 2019 10:44 am    

ya you're probably right

Jonathan Shacklock

London, UK
Post  Posted 12 Sep 2019 3:49 pm    

Wow, trying to learn pedal steel in a week. I’m interested to see how it goes. A teacher would be a big help. Biggest thing is going to be playing in tune but I don’t see why you couldn’t get some nice things recorded if you keep it simple.

I wouldn’t bother trying to swap the pedals round, just keep at it. Most people play your setup these days and there’s no difference in which is easier to learn.

Good luck!

Larry Baker

Columbia, Mo. U.S.A.
Post  Posted 12 Sep 2019 4:28 pm    

Joseph, where in Missouri are you located? Welcome to the forum. Larry

Roger Rettig

Naples, FL
Post  Posted 13 Sep 2019 5:07 am    

I didn't realise that Lloyd Maines played 'Day'! The list of really fine 'Day' players grows ever longer!

Very Happy

Joseph Weidinger

Missouri, USA
Post  Posted 13 Sep 2019 10:13 am    

Columbia, MO

Larry Baker

Columbia, Mo. U.S.A.
Post  Posted 14 Sep 2019 6:41 am    

E mail sent.

Paul Pearson

Alabama, USA
Post  Posted 17 Sep 2019 4:22 pm     Lloyd Maines

Bill I disagree with you on changing the set up to day now when I started playing steel about 25 or so years a go my guitar was Emmons set up the more I tried to get use to the worst I got my teacher played day setup I sir down to his it felt natural so he changed mine I never looked back some people are just natural a day player but I would not suggest for him to do it before you get the tool box you need to learn some of the mechanics about the guitar find some one in your area that can help change it over

Ian Rae

Redditch, England
Post  Posted 18 Sep 2019 1:02 am    

Joseph, good luck with your schedule!
Predictably, this forum has given you two instant pieces of advice - "don't change it" and "change it".
I would get your project done then change it Smile

Are you descended from the Weidinger that Haydn wrote his Trumpet Concerto for?