The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Fingerpicks and finger swelling?
Dom Franco

Beaverton, OR, 97007
Post  Posted 11 Sep 2019 10:06 am    

From time to time I have noticed my fingerpicks feel too tight.... and then other times they are so loose they are falling off my finger tips.

So it seems that I constantly have to bend and adjust my picks to compensate for my fingers swelling and shrinking back to normal size.

Am I alone in this? (To be fair I am older than most of you and I don't remember this happening before when I was younger)

I am not complaining just to whine... I am asking to see if any of you have found a remedy or work-around.

I have noticed that my fingers are usually swollen earlier in the morning, and by the time I have to perform most days they are back to normal.

I do play morning gigs once or twice a week, so I guess this is when I enlarge my picks and that's what makes them too loose when I play later in the afternoon...

I have dozens of picks, and always carry extras with me. I am now thinking about using different picks for morning or afternoon/evening performances.

C. E. Jackson

Post  Posted 11 Sep 2019 12:35 pm    

Dom, although I am in my 80's I haven't had that problem yet, so I can't speak from experience.
However, I do have a memory of Jerry Byrd talking about the problem in one of his instruction
videos. He said that he used a specific brand of metal pick so that he could mash the pick a little
tighter when the finger size changed. Maybe someone else will remember more details regarding
his statement.

C. E. Jackson Smile
A6 tuning for steels

Phillip Vaught

Dallas,Texas, USA
Post  Posted 11 Sep 2019 3:45 pm     finger picks

try perfect touch, you will be pleasantly surprised, I also use the claw hammer thumb of theirs. so great

Terry VunCannon

Greensboro, North Carolina, USA
Post  Posted 11 Sep 2019 4:05 pm    

Another reason that I only use Perfect Touch finger picks. They flex on your finger, and fit above the nail. Stay on great with a great tone.

Glenn Demichele

(20mi N of) Chicago Illinois, USA
Post  Posted 11 Sep 2019 6:05 pm    

Happens to me too, and I'm young (ha - 64). I think its a normal condition, where you swell up when you sleep, then deflate as the day goes on.

Paul DiMaggio

Fort Nelson, British Columbia, Canada
Post  Posted 19 Sep 2019 1:29 am    

I have rheumatoid arthritis in addition to an severe injury on my picking hand. Swelling is a way of life for me. I have been using all plastic finger picks for several years now. I fit them when there is little or no swelling and the plastic has enough flex to keep them comfortable when there is swelling. There is a difference in sound and volume from metal picks especially with acoustic instruments.

John Limbach

Billings, Montana, USA
Post  Posted 19 Sep 2019 3:51 am    

SaddlePicks

Nuff said.

Jerry Overstreet

Louisville Ky
Post  Posted 19 Sep 2019 6:20 am    

This is not an unusual condition. F.I., in the winter months, my picks fit looser than in summer months.

I keep several sets of picks, probably you do too. You can adjust one set a bit looser or tighter for such times.

Bob Stone

Gainesville, FL, USA
Post  Posted 19 Sep 2019 8:58 am    

Saddle picks are my choice. Very comfortable.