The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Evans Amps!
Steven Pearce

Port Orchard Washington, USA
Post  Posted 11 Sep 2019 9:20 am    

A few months ago, I saw a used Evans SE 200 with a 15 in it. It’s a 2005 model.
I hadn’t ever seen one in person...I had just come from a rehearsal and
had my lap steel with me. Well I had to try it out.
SO after 30+ years of Peavey amps, I plugged in the Evans.
And was I surprised. There was no harsh frequency anywhere. It
was the sound I was looking for. Since then I’ve played small clubs,
as well as a few outdoor shows, really big stages and grounds.
To me, it was the best ever. I AM NOT talking bad about my
Peaveys, they never let me down. But if you ever cross paths
with an Evans, just give it a try. IMHO and to my ears, it’s great.
Thanks,
Steve Pearce
ps, I been 35 years with the same band so they know my sound, they
all were grinnin after hearing the Evans.

Barry Coker

Bagley Alabama, USA
Post  Posted 11 Sep 2019 12:13 pm     Evans Amp

I picked up an Evans BE-200 a few months ago 200 watts, 26 lbs. and a 10" speaker. This Little Brute can hold its own with any amp. Clean with lots of head room and weighs less than my Pack a Seat. I love mine.

Barry

Lee Baucum

McAllen, Texas (Extreme South) The Final Frontier
Post  Posted 11 Sep 2019 2:34 pm    

Welcome to the Fraternal Order of Evans Owners.

There are only two options as I see it.
Either I'm right, or there is a sinister conspiracy to conceal the fact that I'm right.

Williams Keyless S-10, BMI S-10, Evans FET-500LV, Fender Steel King, 2 Roland Cube 80XL's,
Sarno FreeLoader, Goodrich Passive Volume Pedals, Vintage ACE Pack-A-Seat

George Kimery

Limestone, TN, USA
Post  Posted 11 Sep 2019 9:17 pm     Evans amps

I had an Evans FET 500 I used for 20 years. Then over the years I have had every steel amp Peavey has made (except the new Session 115). a Steel King, a Twin Reverb, Mesa Boogie, Carvin BX 500, Steelaire, Katana, and a Webb. About two years ago, I got a Stereo Steel rack system, which beat all the others hands down. Then about a year ago, I added an Evans stereo pre-amp to the rack and ran it through the power amp section of the Stereo Steel. The Evans edges out the Stereo Steel, but not by a lot. There is times when a combo amp works out better and for backup, so this past Sunday, I picked up an Evans SE 200 on the way home from the Nashville Super Jam. It sounded great as expected, but not as good as the Evans in my rack system, which was running through a JBL D-130 speaker. The SE 200 had an Eminence Delta Lite speaker. I replaced the Delta Lite with a JBL D-130 which to my ears, really sweetened up the sound and made it sound as good as the rack version. The downside is I added about 1O LB of weight. I have read that an Eminence EPS 15 sounds the same as a JBL. I would like to try one due to their lighter weight and higher power rating. Bottom line, having owned just about everything (except the high end stuff like Milkman, Little Walter, Telonics, etc which I can't afford) for me, Evans is the cat's meow.

Tom Campbell

Houston, Texas, USA
Post  Posted 12 Sep 2019 5:39 am    

Hi Steve,

Same experience. Picked up an Evans SE-200 and never went back to the NV's. I tweak it (Evans) with a Freeloader that I had in my "inventory", but it doesn't really need it.

Tony Edwards

Six Mile, South Carolina
Post  Posted 12 Sep 2019 8:06 am     Evans Amps

I have an Evans SE200 which has the DPU (Digital Power Unit) and it sounds great. The only thing I would like better would be the SE300 (and there is one on the forum for sale) or maybe even the SE500 if I could afford one, but it is out the top at over $1700. Evans is a great amp, whether it be the pre-amp or rack mount amp or the combo.
CLR Custom SD10 Pedal Steel; Telonics 500-B Combo w/ TT 15"; Hilton Low Profile VP; Telonics X-10 Pup; Frenchy's Steel Mill Strings; George L's Cables; BJS Tone Bar; Hoffmeyer Picks. This combination produces a Heavenly tone! Psalm 33:2 "Praise the Lord with...an instrument of ten strings."
"Listen and silent are spelled with the same letters!"

John Lacey

Black Diamond, Alberta, Canada
Post  Posted 12 Sep 2019 10:44 am    

I’ve got an older SE200 that I’ve put in a replacement EPSc 15” speaker in. Pretty happy with the sound except combined with my Zumsteel Hybrid and its wallace single coils the high end is a little much. Have to really watch the treble and push the body up sometimes.

Steven Pearce

Port Orchard Washington, USA
Post  Posted 12 Sep 2019 9:53 pm    

John, you’re right about the treble. Set at 2 gives me all I need.
I found that the Bass and Body kind of work together..
more bass, less body...less bass, etc..
I found my settings, wrote em down and I don’t mess with em.
Steve

George Kimery

Limestone, TN, USA
Post  Posted 13 Sep 2019 1:28 am     Evans amp!

My stereo rack mount is on the bright side. The variable Z on my Black Box more than takes care of it. The Black Box has a Free Loader built in. My SE 200 has no issue with the highs at all. I have the treble on 5.
My guitar is a 1982 Zum with the original single coil pickups. The previous owner sold it because it was too bright. It appears your pickup can make a world of difference.

How do you guys have the expand and depth knobs set?

John Lacey

Black Diamond, Alberta, Canada
Post  Posted 14 Sep 2019 10:57 am    

I usually leave the expand knob off and the depth around 6 or 7.

Larry R

Navasota, Tx.
Post  Posted 25 Sep 2019 5:25 pm     Fender Frontman Amp

I inherited my elder Brothers' Guitars and Fender Amps.
A while after I decided to see how the Fenders' sounded like with my 12 string Mullen.
The Fender Frontman amp called the plays and blew any other amps I have owned. It will probably be that amp for a while.

Doc Hall

Galveston, Tx
Post  Posted 27 Sep 2019 7:22 am    

My experience with Evans amps is pretty much the same. I've come to prefer them over all the others that I've owned. It gets the job done regardless of the conditions. Scott Buffington is also a great guy to deal with should you need assistance.

George Kimery

Limestone, TN, USA
Post  Posted 27 Sep 2019 1:16 pm     Evans amp!

Doc, you got the one I wanted but didn't have the money to buy. Bill Moran lives near me and has a health issue that has made him sell off stuff I would have loved to helped him out on top of loving to have the amp. All is well now. I took local delivery of an SE 200 on Sept. 8th. I will be using it on a gig tomorrow night for the first time.

George Kimery

Limestone, TN, USA
Post  Posted 29 Sep 2019 2:46 pm     Evans amp!

I used my new (used) Evans SE 200 on a gig last night for the first time. I have played this venue monthly for 10 years with a truckload of different amps. I had that sound I have been looking for last night. My girlfriend noticed how much better I sounded, several patrons did too, band members, as did a guy from another band that hears me almost every week I did not go on a fishing expedition and ask for comments. The comments were not asked for. I have never had this happen before. Thumbs up to Evans for making such a killer amp.

Setup includes a Black Box, DD-3 Delay, Wet Reverb, JBL D-130 speaker,1982 Zum D-10 with original single coil pickups, and a Lehlie 90 volume pedal.

Last edited by George Kimery on 30 Sep 2019 11:57 am; edited 8 times in total

Tommy Boswell

Virginia, USA
Post  Posted 30 Sep 2019 3:18 am    

I recently discovered how great my 22-year old Evans SE200 sounds through an extension cab loaded with a PF350. There's also a black box in the mix.

At least at home, have not played out with that rig yet.

J.C. Norris

North Carolina, USA
Post  Posted 1 Oct 2019 12:02 am     J.C.Norris & Evans amps

I too have played through Peaveys for 30 years. I now own 2 Evans, an FET 500, a 200, a Peavey Nashville 112. The Peaveys served me well, but I love the tone I get with the both Evans amps. I really wish I could have discovered them long ago. J.C. Norris

J.C. Norris

North Carolina, USA
Post  Posted 1 Oct 2019 12:02 am     J.C.Norris & Evans amps

I too have played through Peaveys for 30 years. I now own 2 Evans, an FET 500, a 200, a Peavey Nashville 112. The Peaveys served me well, but I love the tone I get with the both Evans amps. I really wish I could have discovered them long ago. J.C. Norris