| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Reply to topic
Author Topic:  golden age players gone home
Terry Wood

Marshfield, MO
Post  Posted 4 Sep 2019 10:56 am    

Glad to see you added Jimmy Day , Walter Haynes and Bobby Caldwell. Loved all their music! Jimmy Day had a huge impact on so many of us Steel Guitarists!
Joe Krumel

Nashville,TN.
Post  Posted 5 Sep 2019 6:49 am     Gary Hogue

Last edited by Joe Krumel on 11 Sep 2019 4:41 am; edited 1 time in total
Drew Howard

Post  Posted 6 Sep 2019 11:45 am    

That's really Jimmy Day's marker?
Joe Krumel

Nashville,TN.
Post  Posted 6 Sep 2019 4:46 pm    

As far as I know...

Last edited by Joe Krumel on 11 Sep 2019 4:42 am; edited 1 time in total
Joe Krumel

Nashville,TN.
Post  Posted 11 Sep 2019 4:39 am     Bill Johnson

Neil Lang

Albert Lea, Minnesota, USA
Post  Posted 11 Sep 2019 10:25 am    

It is with a "Heavy Heart" we look at all these names that pulled us into this Love of our Instrument and the music it makes. Hard to believe this many have gone home. It makes a person realize just how fast time does fly by. So glad we can still all enjoy the music they created on their recordings. There has to be one FABULOUS JAM SESSION going on up there guys & gals. Hope to see and hear it...someday!!
Nic Neufeld

Kansas City, Missouri
Post  Posted 16 Sep 2019 2:14 pm    

I was in Honolulu last March on Alfred Apaka's 100th birthday and I went by the Diamond Head Memorial Park. It took a few hours of wandering (in the tropical sun!) but I found a host of great musicians there.

Alfred Apaka himself was never known as a steel player (he played uke and bass at least, but mostly a singer), but his albums and recordings had some of the greats playing alongside him...some of my favorite steel guitar on record (you can tell, guys, I'm one of the Hawaiian contingent Very Happy ). Died far too young, in 1960, aged 40.

Billy Hew Len was an amazing player who became one of the best players in the latter half of the 20th century in Hawaii, despite having lost his right hand in an accident as a teenager! Played nonpedal and pedal, a Fender 400.

Randy Oness, band leader and musician...worked with a lot of the greats back then (including a young Alfred Apaka). Wrote "Haunani"...composed over 200 songs.

Now getting to a couple of my favorites. Jules Ah See, I'm a broken record on him, but also died young, less than a year after Alfred Apaka died. My favorite steel player and a huge influence on me.

Alvin "Barney" Isaacs Jr. A great foil to Jules Ah See on Hawaii Calls (and a good counterpoint to Billy Hew Len on the "Steel Guitar Magic" album). A master at clever chordal work, he was always using open strings to get interesting chords, maj 7 / 9, diminished...definitely a "chord guy" and a big influence on me as well.

Couple others I found while there...Haunani Kahalewai, the rich-voiced contralto who sang on many Hawaii Calls albums.

Lastly, not music related per se, but Kam Fong Chun, aka Chin Ho Kelly from Hawaii 5-0. His first wife and two young children are also buried there...they were tragically killed during WWII when two B-24 bombers collided over Honolulu and the wreckage crashed into their house...very sad story.

It's a peaceful and pretty place, with Diamond Head looming up next door...