The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Daniel Lanois interview/demo with Dweezil Zappa
Andy Volk

Boston, MA
Post  Posted 11 Sep 2019 5:01 am    

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5K_XsOKH-to

I've heard his recordings before but seeing how he activates strings, mutes and pedals is really illuminating. I don't think I've seen another player use his non-bar hand in quite this way and all sans picks. Reminds me a little of the late acoustic guitarist Michael Hedges who used this kind of selective, targeted muting to stop some strings from ringing while others continued not just to mute but to create changes in musical color. Really cool to see Daniel play and Dweezil is a good interviewer.

Last edited by Andy Volk on 11 Sep 2019 5:57 am; edited 2 times in total

Frank Freniere

The First Coast
Post  Posted 11 Sep 2019 5:26 am    

Great interview. Very interesting approach to pedal steel.

Is he tapping some effects unit on the deck - or constantly muting the 10th string?

Jim Pollard

Cedar Park, Texas, USA
Post  Posted 11 Sep 2019 5:36 am    

I was wondering the same, if maybe he had some kind of mute lever built in there that you can't see from that vantage point.

Bill Sinclair

Waynesboro, PA, USA
Post  Posted 11 Sep 2019 6:14 am    

Frank Freniere wrote:

Is he tapping some effects unit on the deck - or constantly muting the 10th string?

I wondered the same thing. Reading the comment section, it appears to be a microswitch triggering a EHX Freeze pedal. That's how he gets the continuous drone with each chord. Pretty slick.

Curt Trisko

St. Paul, Minnesota, USA
Post  Posted 11 Sep 2019 7:06 am     Re: Daniel Lanois interview/demo with Dweezil Zappa

Andy Volk wrote:
I don't think I've seen another player use his non-bar hand in quite this way and all sans picks.

It's a lot of fun too. I've spent a little time trying out his style. I've come to think of it this way: usually playing involves having the right hand be highly developed mechanically and having your ear be intimately tied to your bar hand. I think Daniel Lanois's style involves having your ear tied to your right hand instead while the left hand acts in a less detail-oriented fashion. It keeps it fresh.

Mike McBride

Indiana
Post  Posted 9 Feb 2022 8:44 pm    

Just discovered Lanois. I really like his sounds.

Marc Jenkins

Victoria, British Columbia, Canada
Post  Posted 10 Feb 2022 12:14 am    

Very cool! I’m so curious about the huge red button taped on the steel!? Also, I had no idea Lanois played country pedal steel at one point. You’d never know it to hear him.

John Larson

Pennsyltucky, USA
Post  Posted 10 Feb 2022 2:37 am    

This is one of the videos that tipped me to buying a PSG. Very Happy

The b-side of Brian Eno's Apollo is just superb.
"Deep Blue Day"
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v2DRWVHPRxs
Rejoice in the Lord, O ye righteous; praise is meet for the upright. Give praise to the Lord with the harp, chant unto Him with the ten-stringed psaltery. Sing unto Him a new song, chant well unto Him with jubilation. For the word of the Lord is true, and all His works are in faithfulness. The Lord loveth mercy and judgement; the earth is full of the mercy of the Lord.
- Psalm 33:1-5

Andy Volk

Boston, MA
Post  Posted 11 Feb 2022 2:02 pm    

Here's a good illustration of his sound in a band context. Not the best camera angle at the start. The guy is a unique artist.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HCWIDn6Q6Xs

Lee Gauthier

Victoria, BC, Canada
Post  Posted 11 Feb 2022 5:51 pm    

Sadly the quality is very low so it's pretty badly lowpassed and compressed by youtube, but this video seems slightly more traditional in style. Maybe more gospel than country.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t9yXDQaX8BI

I'd love to see/hear a high quality version of this.

re: the electronic thing he taps on his guitar - I hadn't ever heard he uses an ehx freeze. I thought it triggered the "freeze/Repeat Hold" function on the Lexicon delay he uses. The final effect is more or less the same tho.

Lee Gauthier

Victoria, BC, Canada
Post  Posted 11 Feb 2022 5:58 pm    

I wonder if he ever used a more complete pedal setup, or if he moved to only having an A and B pedal to simplify his focus more on his hands.

Marc Jenkins

Victoria, British Columbia, Canada
Post  Posted 11 Feb 2022 6:07 pm    

Lee Gauthier wrote:
I wonder if he ever used a more complete pedal setup, or if he moved to only having an A and B pedal to simplify his focus more on his hands.
I’m pretty sure I’ve seen him with a couple different Sho~Buds, both with 3 pedals. Still only used 2! (Hi Lee!)

Tom Thompson

Ontario, Canada
Post  Posted 11 Jul 2023 2:03 pm     Daniel Lanois on MSA

Hi Lanois fans,

I had a chance to see Daniel at Ottawa Bluesfest this past weekend playing with Blackie & The Rodeo Kings and was surprised to see him playing an MSA! Looked to be a Vintage XL model. I've only ever seen him on Sho-Buds until now. My guitars are Sho-Bud and MSA which is either a coincidence or we look for the same kind of sounds! But of course his tone is all his own and he always sounds like himself, regardless of the instrument.