The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Early Sho Bud Permanent
David Ball

North Carolina High Country
Post  Posted 10 Sep 2019 1:14 pm    

Well, this thing has been lost at UPS for almost two months, but I got it today and it's a nice one. It's a very early cabinet end D-10 that shows no signs of any modifications or upgrades. 24 inch scale. No rear apron. Small axle changer with spacers in place of fingers on strings with no changes. Ducktail changer plate. Shortened tuner shafts up at the narrow part of the keyhead. Stratosphere pickups. Wide line fingerboards. 6 pedals, so the E9 neck is on the outside like modern guitars.

The copedent is not quite the modern standard, but getting close. Pedal A raises 5 and 2. Pedal B raises 3 and 6. Pedal C raises 4 and 5. Pedal 4 raises 1 and lowers 5. Pedal 5 raises 2 and lowers 6. Pedal 6 raises 3 and 4.

It has a serial number stamped into the leg plate on both sides--00119. Very similar to the "Sonny Curtis" D8 that was in an earlier post. I don't know whether these numbers have significance or not--it almost looks like maybe the numbers were stamped to keep matching pairs of metal plates together rather than an actual serial number of the guitar. Anyway, does anybody want to guess a year?

It sounds great and plays well too. I'm a happy camper.

Dave

Damir Besic

Nashville,TN.
Post  Posted 10 Sep 2019 3:57 pm    

wow David, what a beauty ... awesome... now you start playing it, and all the bears from around the woods will come to your porch to listen...lol

David Ball

Post  Posted 10 Sep 2019 4:00 pm    

Had a mama and three cubs in the yard the past few days. I’ll keep the Bud inside for a while!

Dave

Damir Besic

Nashville,TN.
Post  Posted 10 Sep 2019 4:05 pm    

David Ball wrote:
Had a mama and three cubs in the yard the past few days. I’ll keep the Bud inside for a while!

Dave

oh oh... you got to watch for the mama when she has cubs around , she can be quite a hands full ...lol

David Ball

Post  Posted 10 Sep 2019 4:11 pm    

As long as you’re not between the cubs and mom, it’s ok. Elsewise get the heck out!

Damir Besic

Nashville,TN.
Post  Posted 10 Sep 2019 4:20 pm    

David Ball wrote:
As long as you’re not between the cubs and mom, it’s ok. Elsewise get the heck out!

Laughing

David Ball

Post  Posted 10 Sep 2019 4:25 pm    

Another thing I'm curious about on this guitar--this one looks a little thicker than the pictures I've seen of other cabinet ends, but it could just be the pictures throwing me off. It's 3" thick deck to bottom on the back neck and 3 3/4" thick on the front neck. Is that the norm?

Dave

Rick Abbott

Indiana, USA
Post  Posted 10 Sep 2019 6:04 pm    

I, for one, am so glad you got this guitar back! When you posted the comments that it was lost I was just sick. I love the tone from that era, and know how rare and special that steel is. It's about the most beautiful guitar I've ever seen. Keep us posted on your progress with it. Copedant is ancient, but I'll bet if you think it through and use it on early country it will just sing! Then, move on to other styles once you get it's feel. Again, glad you got it.
Sho~Bud D-10 Professional #7962
Remington T-8, Wakarusa 5e3 clone
1953 Stromberg-Carlson AU-35

David Ball

Post  Posted 11 Sep 2019 1:13 am    

Thanks Rick. I really hated the thought of a rare old guitar disappearing forever too!

Actually, the copedent works really well like it is. It's close enough to standard to feel pretty normal--the extra raise on the 2nd string E9 actually is pretty nice, and having it on pedal A works. The lack of raising 10 takes some getting used to, but it's no big deal. On the C neck, it's set for high G on top which takes a little getting used to, but the pedals are pretty much like regular pedals 5, 6 and 7 so I've been able to play it pretty well. Lack of knee levers is OK--gives my legs more room, and I'm used to playing lap steel anyway, so slants are no big deal. As you say, playing the styles of the day makes it sing.

The small axle changer needs a little more travel for pitch changes than the later larger axle permanents which makes the raises maybe a little lighter, but the lowers are a bit stiffer than on the early 60s Madison I've been playing. The solid nut doesn't seem to affect its staying in tune at all. Really sounds nice too.

Dave