The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  toggle switch bad?
Richard Lester

Constable, New York, USA
Post  Posted 7 Sep 2019 3:25 pm    

Question: Can a toggle switch go bad? I just replaced a pick-up on my Zum-C-6th neck and now I'm getting cut-outs, goes dead, and sometimes it will be scratchy, then other times it plays good. Didn't have this problem before I changed the pick-up. And the problem happens on both necks now. I've checked and rechecked the wiring with a magnifying glass and there's no strand of wire touching any other terminal of the switch. Any suggestions? Even lowered my pick-ups a tad.
Thanks

Bob Carlucci

Candor, New York, USA
Post  Posted 8 Sep 2019 3:05 am     Re: toggle switch bad?

Richard Lester wrote:
Question: Can a toggle switch go bad? I just replaced a pick-up on my Zum-C-6th neck and now I'm getting cut-outs, goes dead, and sometimes it will be scratchy, then other times it plays good. Didn't have this problem before I changed the pick-up. And the problem happens on both necks now. I've checked and rechecked the wiring with a magnifying glass and there's no strand of wire touching any other terminal of the switch. Any suggestions? Even lowered my pick-ups a tad.
Thanks

I would try spraying that switch with electronic cleaner, such as Deoxit, and see what happens...
If you can't gain access to the innards of the switch from the underside, I have had great luck over the years gently pushing down on the toggle itself, there's usually a spring inside, and spraying right into the tiny gap, and moving the switch lever back and forth a few times.. GENTLY!.. Don't force it.. You don't need a big gap, those spray contact cleaners can get through anything...

While you're at it, make sure the input jack on the guitar is clean as well.. That can cause the same problem you explained...bob

no gear list for me.. you don't have the time......

Richard Lester

Constable, New York, USA
Post  Posted 8 Sep 2019 3:37 am     clean it

Thanks Bob,
I did clean the input jack and the cables. I will try the deoxit and see what happens. thanks again

Stephen Cowell

Round Rock, Texas, USA
Post  Posted 8 Sep 2019 8:04 am    

Suspect the solder job... either a cold solder, or perhaps you melted the switch. Ohmmeter might help her... measure ohms while jiggling!

Donny Hinson

Glen Burnie, Md. U.S.A.
Post  Posted 8 Sep 2019 9:29 am    

Solder a jumper across the switch temporarily. That'll tell you definitely if the problem is at the switch. Winking

Richard Lester

Constable, New York, USA
Post  Posted 8 Sep 2019 3:42 pm     switch

Thank you guys very much. My age doesn't help me much, neither does my thinking cap; forgetting too many things now-a-days Rolling Eyes

Peter Harris

South Australia, Australia
Post  Posted 10 Sep 2019 5:53 am    

Donny Hinson wrote:
Solder a jumper across the switch temporarily. That'll tell you definitely if the problem is at the switch. Winking

..or make up a short lead with crocodile clips at each end...