The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Williams Keyless
Sonny Jenkins

Texas Masonic Retirement Center,,,Arlington Tx
Post  Posted 5 Aug 2019 7:59 am    

I will have a modified Williams S12 universal for sale soon. It is an older model that I have made 700 style changer for and also made my (Kline) style tuning fingers for it. Have not put strings on yet,,,or rodded. I thought I would post it here to see if an interested person might want their own specific copedent,,,otherwise I will wait a few days, then go ahead and string it up and rod it for a standard Jeff Newman 7/4 universal copedent on it. Asking $2000 plus ride.

Marty Letz

Iowa City, Iowa, USA
Post  Posted 7 Sep 2019 4:01 pm     Williams u 12

Hi sonny I don’t know if you remember me but I sold you a kline about a year or two ago. I’m kind of interested in your Williams u12. I play a Williams u 12 7/6 but could probably get by with a 7/5 but u do need that vertical on the 5th string. I play a Day set up series 700 now does that $2000 include the set up? I would probably chase the guitar down to Texas and of course pay extra for the 5th vertical knee. I would also need at least one compensater on th 12th string 4Th pedal to get the right return. Bill Rudolph makes them but doesn’t always install them. I don’t currently play a keyless but bet I could figure it out. Let me know if your interested, my email is; martyletz@ gmail.com. My number is 319-631-3175. Of course I would wire u money for parts and bring my cash when ready. Let me know, thanks, Marty.

David Ball

North Carolina High Country
Post  Posted 7 Sep 2019 4:23 pm    

I have one of Sonny's keyless lap steels--his keyless tuners work great and are very well made. Plus, he's a great guy to deal with. Somebody's going to get a really nice guitar here...

Dave

Gene Tani

Pac NW
Post  Posted 8 Sep 2019 5:18 am    

What happened, Sonny, the cabinet got LONGER since your last post! https://bb.steelguitarforum.com/viewtopic.php?t=348261

Just kidding, really beautiful instrument, his tuners work great, string changes are easy and of all my guits his is the one that stays in tune when temperature goes from 80's in afternoon to 50's at night around here. I think the greatest benefit to keyless is having a uniform break angle across all strings, I suspect that's a tone/sustain enhancer an Doug Earnest said something similar in a recent thread tho he obviously wasn't endorsing keyless heads.

Sonny Jenkins

Post  Posted 8 Sep 2019 8:51 am    

Hey Thanks guys for the kind words!!! Since these pics were posted I've managed to cut an inch or so off the end, string it up and just about have it all rodded up. Have decided on a modified Newman tuning, will probably do a little experimenting with it before selling. Currently have the 6th pedal on LKR ala Larry Bell, leaves 7th pedal open for ???. Thanking about a design for wrist lever instead of up lever (a lot of guys have trouble with up lever, including myself). Also may do a more stable design on the pedals/pedal bar. It is starting to be pretty much a custom guitar,,,will probably keep for a while, at least until I'm sure all the bugs are out and tweaks are made. Not sure what it weighs in the case (case is pretty heavy),,,but it will be a VERY good candidate for a keyboard case like Lee Baucom,,,or I have a light weight fiber board case that could be adapted,,,either way it will be very "back friendly",,light and easy transport.
https://bb.steelguitarforum.com/viewtopic.php?t=348261

Sonny Jenkins

Post  Posted 8 Sep 2019 8:56 am    

This is going to be a VERY good guitar for experimenting,,,VERY easy to make changes to copedent,,has split capablities on all strings (I don't know how to set up splits). I hope to have option of wrist lever or up lever or both. When sold it will be in the $2000 to $2500 range.

John Goux

California, USA
Post  Posted 8 Sep 2019 4:04 pm    

Sonny, does cutting the length of the guitar back to the keyless tuners reduce the amount of cabinet drop? (This puts the A pedal closer to the legs)
John

Sonny Jenkins

Post  Posted 9 Sep 2019 1:55 pm    

The overall "span" has been reduced by about an inch and a half,,,,wouldn't think that would make a significant difference either way,,,also can't imagine this 4" x 3/4" apron (plus the 1/4" x 1 1/4" steel bar) having ANY significant flex,,even on the middle pedals???

Ryan Stigmon

North Carolina, USA
Post  Posted 24 Sep 2019 2:41 pm    

Pm’d you Sonny!

Johnie King

Tennessee, USA
Post  Posted 28 Sep 2019 5:56 pm    

Man Sonny you made a improvement on your willams look so much better than stock.
Your a genius or one heck of a craftsman!! Maybe both

Mike Greenberg

Nashville, TN
Post  Posted 8 Oct 2019 9:35 am    

Sent you a PM, Sonny

Sonny Jenkins

Post  Posted 9 Oct 2019 6:10 am    

Well,,I think I am going to take this off the market for now. After a lifetime of thinking "if I could build my own "dream" guitar, how would it be",,,well,,I'm slowly making changes on this old Williams that is getting there. Every time I think this is the last mod I'm going to do,,I just keeping thinking of some other little something,,,and it keeps working out! Besides, I have way more $$$ in this guitar than I could ever expect to get out of it,,LOL. I may even give up my Kline!!!,,(oh no!!). I'll keep posting updates in the "Steel Guitar" section. Thanks for everyone interest!! (I've added latest pics here
https://bb.steelguitarforum.com/viewtopic.php?t=348261&start=25