The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Buck Reid - the quiet genius!
Roger Rettig

Naples, FL
Post  Posted 7 Sep 2019 12:14 pm    

I drove to Nashville this past week after arranging an appointment to meet Buck at Steel Guitars of Nashville. I had a laundry list of things I wanted done on my Emmons and I was so pleased that he was available and willing to help.

Wednesday - and the rest of the week - was fairly chaotic at SGN; the Mullen Crew were in town and it wasn't long before the place was jumping with music being played and new steels being demo-ed. This was great fun, of course, but did not make for the ideal environment in which Buck could do his stuff. He came through, though, with flying colours!

He's restored my B/Bb splits by means of an extra rod (the split was lost when I had the Franklin drop on 5 and 6 a while ago), he added the B to A lower on the 10th on my RKR and set it up perfectly with a really positive half-stop feel on the 2nd string lower. He changed my LKV (it now raises the 6th to A#/B. I'd said nothing about my somewhat clunky LKL (Es lowering) but Buck reset it so that it's now a pleasure to use. As for the fine-tuning job he did, well, my guitar's never sounded so spot-on in the nineteen years I've had it.

He even went as far as to come in early on Thursday morning before the shop got busy so he could tune and touch things up in comparative silence. To say he went the 'extra mile' is putting it mildly.

I just love that A lower on the 10th string (along with the standard D to C# on the 9th). What with one thing and another I now have so many options on my low E9th strings.

It's a privilege to be able to call Buck my friend; he has a quiet and gentle demeanour, a seemingly infinite knowledge of steel guitar mechanics and, of course, he's undoubtedly one of the most highly accomplished steel players ever to grace the instrument.

I was sad that I couldn't stay in town longer and enjoy this weekend's Nashville steel show - that would have rounded off a perfect week - but I'm due at rehearsal for yet another 'Patsy' show and I had to contemplate that thirteen-hour drive home to Naples.

I can't recommend Buck's work highly enough; he's thoroughly painstaking and he doesn't consider the job's done until it's perfect.

Thank you, Buck.

Roger Crawford

Griffin, GA USA
Post  Posted 7 Sep 2019 1:58 pm    

That’s Buck for sure!

Jeff Garden

Center Sandwich, New Hampshire, USA
Post  Posted 7 Sep 2019 3:17 pm    

Sounds like a great visit, Roger...yes, Buck is top notch as a player, mechanic, and person!
Tell us about that 10th string lower to A. Along with lowering string 9 a half-tone to C#, think you told me you were also raising string 7 a full tone to G# on that lever(?). So with that lever engaged, you'd have
10(A), 9(C#), 8(E), 7(G#), 6(G# or with a B pedal, A)...Amaj7...on the low strings?

Roger Rettig

Naples, FL
Post  Posted 7 Sep 2019 4:02 pm    

Buck advised against adding the 7th raise and, if I did want that note, I have that pull on LKL2.

Yes, a lovely major 7th/add 6/9 on strings 10 to 3! Unfortunately my guitar doesn't have enough lower-holes to allow the the 10th lower to be returned to a B note with the A pedal engaged. That's the only thing I'd have liked that I didn't get. (Allowing a 4 chord on 6,5,4,3 with a 5th on string 10.) That was the guitar's fault, not Buck's!

My RKR is a touch stiff now but fine if I use the 'flag' on the actual lever.

Jeff Garden

Center Sandwich, New Hampshire, USA
Post  Posted 7 Sep 2019 5:47 pm    

Thanks, Roger. Very interesting add to the RKR.

Maurice Daulton

Kentucky, USA
Post  Posted 8 Sep 2019 5:40 am     Buck

What a gentleman Buck is and what a great guy to work on your guitar. And I thank him for giving us about 30 minutes of playing time although he was very busy. And he did it on a new Mullen he had been working on in the back of the shop. The guitar had not been played. Such a great guy. And somehow my billfold slipped out of my pocket and he called me at home to let me know he had it. Mabe I can slip back down and get a lesson too .

Ken Byng

Southampton, England
Post  Posted 8 Sep 2019 7:39 am    

Buck is a great person to know.

Show Pro D10 - amber (8+6), MSA D10 Legend XL Signature - redburst (9+6), Sho-Bud Pro 111 Custom (8+6), Emmons black Push-Pull D10 (8+5), Zum D10 (8x8), Hudson pedal resonator. Telonics TCA-500, Webb 614-E,

Last edited by Ken Byng on 8 Sep 2019 7:41 am; edited 1 time in total

Austin Tripp

Nashville TN
Post  Posted 8 Sep 2019 7:41 am    

I needed a pickup change in my Mullen and I was leaving Nashville that night to do a run of shows in Florida. Buck came in on a day off and changed the pickup for me! Classy guy, and awesome player.

Billy Knowles

Kenansville, N. C. 28349 usa
Post  Posted 27 Sep 2019 6:32 pm     Buck

Not only is Buck a great steel guitar tech, he is also a wonderful person.

STEEL GUITAR EAST

Emmons authorized dealer and approved service technician

my web site: http://www.steelguitareast.com

Charley Hill

The Dirty South
Post  Posted 28 Sep 2019 3:49 am    

Ken Byng wrote:
Buck is a great person to know.

Ken,

You are always "Hob Nobbing" with the greats. Who is that on the left.....Looks Familiar. Dang Photo Bombers Laughing

Great picture Ken!

John Brabant

Calais, VT, USA
Post  Posted 29 Sep 2019 7:12 am    

Folks who are fans of Buck and can make the trip, should plan to attend the 2019 PSGA Annual Steel Guitar Celebration show. Buck will be there, along with Jim Cohen and his band Ronstadt Revue, among other great players. See at link for more info on who else is playing. Yes Buck can do it all, he is quite the genius and was really sounding great on the Lyle Lovett tour this summer.

http://psga.org

John Brabant

Calais, VT, USA
Post  Posted 24 Oct 2019 1:17 pm    

For those of you who want to see how steel is played by a jazz and E9 neck master, be sure to attend the PSGA show and catch Buck live and in person along with his buds Jim Cohen, Jack Stanton, Robby Turner, Mike Neer, Raphael McGregor,John Widgren and a new to the PSGA show, young player Brian Dumont. All backed by the best backing band talent the NYC jazz / rock / country scene can provide. Will blow your minds folks. Oh and another special feature this year is the Ronstadt Revue, Jim Cohen's Linda Ronstadt cover band, hot band with a great lady on vocals doing the Linda part.

The Saturday night jam should not be missed with Gunsmoke with the fabulous Jeff Demaio on his 1969 Emmons PP tearing both necks. Book your room for Saturday night now as there is only a couple more days to get the discount (deadline has been extended).

John Brabant

Calais, VT, USA
Post  Posted 4 Nov 2019 5:03 am    

The PSGA show with Buck is this coming weekend folks! Get your carpools together folks!

Paddy Long

Christchurch, New Zealand
Post  Posted 4 Nov 2019 2:52 pm    

In the picture up above ----- who are those two guys with Ken Byng ??????????
Telonics, Peterson, Steelers Choice, Benado, Lexicon, Red Dirt Cases.

john widgren

Wilton CT
Post  Posted 12 Nov 2019 5:27 pm     Master

Buck was jaw dropping-ly excellent at Norwalk CT on Sunday. He is always inspiring and is a really super nice guy to boot.
We were lucky to have him.

JW
widcj@hotmail.com

Stu Schulman

Ulster Park New Yawk (deceased)
Post  Posted 13 Nov 2019 5:01 am    

Steeltronics Z-pickup,Desert Rose S-10 4+5,Desert Rose Keyless S-10 3+5... Mullen G2 S-10 3+5,Telonics 206 pickups,Telonics volume pedal.,Blanton SD -10,Emmons GS_10...Zirctone bar,Bill Groner Bar...any amp that isn't broken.Steel Seat.Com seats...Licking paint chips off of Chinese Toys since 1952.

Stu Schulman

Ulster Park New Yawk (deceased)
Post  Posted 13 Nov 2019 5:01 am    

Steeltronics Z-pickup,Desert Rose S-10 4+5,Desert Rose Keyless S-10 3+5... Mullen G2 S-10 3+5,Telonics 206 pickups,Telonics volume pedal.,Blanton SD -10,Emmons GS_10...Zirctone bar,Bill Groner Bar...any amp that isn't broken.Steel Seat.Com seats...Licking paint chips off of Chinese Toys since 1952.