The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Slowing Down, And Looping YouTube Videos
George Redmon

Muskegon & Detroit Michigan.
Post  Posted 8 Apr 2019 1:32 am    

Anyone own or try the "UD ref" Pedal for manipulating YouTube videos? Looks like a pretty neat idea.

https://udpedals.com

Carl Kilmer

East Central, Illinois
Post  Posted 8 Apr 2019 3:59 am    

You can use "VLC media player" which is totally free
to speed up or slow down any of your saved audio
or video files without changing the pitch.

Ken Boi

Arizona, USA
Post  Posted 8 Apr 2019 4:44 am    

It would be helpful controlling the video from the foot. Manipulating via the 'mouse' can be distracting when in a learning session.

On the down side, the price is rather high ($129) and is also listed as 'sold-out' Sad .

George Redmon

Post  Posted 8 Apr 2019 8:28 am    

Yeah i like it because it's hands free. The mouse thing is a real draw back. I also loose my place, train of thought and have to turn away from the steel or guitar. With this you can slow iy down, speed it up, or maintain the same tempo. Also i like the loop idea, no guess work on starting points. Yeah they can't make'em fast enough.

Lance Clifford

Oregon, USA
Post  Posted 8 Apr 2019 9:33 am    

Great idea, but tied to Chrome, which I will have no part of.

One which is plug and play with ipad or OS X, Safari or Firefox and I'm in...

George Redmon

Post  Posted 8 Apr 2019 12:16 pm    

It will work with almost any system not just chrome. That is just what the manufacturer is using. Yeah i can't stand Chrome neither.

Lance Clifford

Oregon, USA
Post  Posted 8 Apr 2019 12:43 pm    

George,

I DO thank you for introducing us to the pedal, and if you're right that it works with systems other than Chrome, they should change their FAQ section, along with being a bit more specific about that in things such as the video.

I was was entirely unaware of this before you posted up, but had wished for such a device.

I contacted them with exactly what I posted here, and will report back with any response I shoulld receive.

Thanks,

Lance

George Redmon

Post  Posted 8 Apr 2019 12:46 pm    

Sounds great lance. Because i'm not a fan of Chrome either. I was going by the video, where he stated that it will work with other systems. Not sure about Apple however.

Lance Clifford

Oregon, USA
Post  Posted 8 Apr 2019 5:01 pm    

George,

Heard back from Quinn in response to my communication earlier today:

"Hi Lance!

We are hoping to work out the Safari and Firefox functionality - it works but is unpredictable at times and we are currently working on solutions. Tablet compatibility is also on our minds! We will notify you when these features are available.

Best,

Quinn Jones
Founder
UD Pedals
1534 North Moorpark Rd. #410
Thousand Oaks, CA 91360
805-857-0731
udpedals.com"

More, if and when I have it,

Lance

George Redmon

Post  Posted 8 Apr 2019 6:16 pm    

Looks like if i do purchase one, i'm going to be stuck with chrome. Yuck

Lance Clifford

Oregon, USA
Post  Posted 8 Apr 2019 7:09 pm    

Don't be so hasty, George...

I sent Quinn a link to your thread, thinking that it might help all involved if he's even more inspired to adapt the pedals for "the rest of us". He's a young guy, obviously capable, and just getting going with his creations. Let's hope he's successful enough with marketing the initial version to Chrome users as to be inspired to hurry along a well developed version for Safari, Firefox and ipad devotees.

Pretty cool device. Let's wish him best of luck!

Thanks again for bringing this to our attention,

Lance

Ronald Ballister

New York, New York, USA
Post  Posted 5 Sep 2019 4:33 pm    

What I wish someone would come up with is a Video version of Amazing Slow Downer which I can use to slow down audio files and still maintain correct pitch.

Jim Kennedy

Brentwood California, USA
Post  Posted 6 Sep 2019 11:25 am    

Transcribe by Seventhstring software will read the audio track from videos. You can then slow down, speed up, change keys, loop, and a variety of other features that I do not use. You have a 30 day evaluation period with a fully functional version to try out. Current price is $39.00. I have been using this for at least 15 years and have never paid for updates or new versions. I started on version 6. I am now using version 8.74. Not bad compared to what many developers charge for upgrades. Definitely worth the 30 day evaluation.

Ronald Ballister

New York, New York, USA
Post  Posted 6 Sep 2019 11:46 am    

Jim, will it slow down and maintain correct pitch while the video is actually playing back? That way you could watch the musician's fingerings. I've grabbed audio from videos and opened it up inside of Amazing Slow Downer. You can change speed while maintaining correct pitch but Amazing Slow Downer is audio only so you can't watch the musician's hands while you are listening.

Jim Kennedy

Post  Posted 7 Sep 2019 10:17 am    

I have never used it with video. According to the Seventh String web site there is a free add-on called gstream that allows it to DISPLAY most video formats. They have a version of gstream posted that is stripped of options that transcribe does not use. The video has to be on your hard drive. Try the 30 trial. It is the only thing I have seen that claims to do what you want.

John McClung

Olympia WA, USA
Post  Posted 7 Sep 2019 11:29 am    

Jim Kennedy wrote:
Transcribe by Seventhstring software will read the audio track from videos. You can then slow down, speed up, change keys, loop, and a variety of other features that I do not use. You have a 30 day evaluation period with a fully functional version to try out. Current price is $39.00. I have been using this for at least 15 years and have never paid for updates or new versions. I started on version 6. I am now using version 8.74. Not bad compared to what many developers charge for upgrades. Definitely worth the 30 day evaluation.

Jim, the full name of the app is Transcribe! with the exclamation point, searching online for it gets tricky without that punctuation piece. Smile

I will eventually upgrade to it. Since you're already an experienced user, can you answer these questions:

• Can you add a bunch of songs to a queue or playlist to work on?
• can you sort that list alphabetically?
• can you save one or more loops within a song, and when you quit and reopen the app, are those loops still there?

Those are the main improvements I seek over my trusty Amazing Slow Downer software. Thanks, Jim!

Jim Kennedy

Post  Posted 8 Sep 2019 8:29 am    

I do not know if you can have ques or alphabetical lists. If that is possible the information will be somewhere on the website. It will save loops and start and stop points. I use it for slowing down, looping, and changing keys. When I started using it 15 years ago it did those things better than anything else I found, and at a very reasonable price. Use the 30 day evaluation period and see if it does what you need. I was sold right away.

Donny Hinson

Glen Burnie, Md. U.S.A.
Post  Posted 3 Oct 2019 6:37 am    

Ronald Ballister wrote:
Jim, will it slow down and maintain correct pitch while the video is actually playing back? That way you could watch the musician's fingerings. I've grabbed audio from videos and opened it up inside of Amazing Slow Downer. You can change speed while maintaining correct pitch but Amazing Slow Downer is audio only so you can't watch the musician's hands while you are listening.

Not everyone knows it, but YouTube already has a built-in slow down/speed up tool, and you can access it through the little "Settings" gear in the bottom margin of the videos. It works on all browsers, and maintains the pitch, but doesn't have a "loop" capability...yet. I find it very handy, especially for viewing musicians...and magicians. Mr. Green