| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Acoustic Image Amps/Raezer’s Edge Cabs
Charley Paul

California, USA
Post  Posted 6 Sep 2019 10:13 am    

Sometimes (often) I find myself doing double duty at a gig. Electric guitar and acoustic guitar, banjo and acoustic guitar, electric and pedal steel, etc.

As far as amps/cabs go, I’ve been looking for a lightweight solution that can handle anything I throw at it. I’ve had this Acoustic Image amp for a while, but never really bonded with it. For various reasons not worth getting into now (unless you really want to know), I decided to buy a new cabinet for the amp as opposed to just selling the whole thing.

I just took delivery a few weeks ago of a Raezer’s Edge cabinet. I primarily got it to use at acoustic flattop guitar gigs with the AI head. It’s loaded with a double coned Fane 1x12. It sounds excellent with acoustic guitar.....I mean really good. Best tone I’ve had live yet for that setup.

I have a pedal steel gig next week (a record release for an artist I’ve been working from time to time with for the past few years). There’s gonna be a lot of people on stage, and I need to take up as little space as possible. Between my D10, pedals, and Pro Reverb, I am trying to shrink my footprint. So, for shits and giggles I put on some of the tracks, and started A/B testing my 66 Pro Reverb against the AI/RE setup. I love Fender amps, but I’m gonna bring the AI setup. The whole deal weighs less than 20 pounds, has a nice reverb, DI out (pre or post), and sounds great.

Not sure if many guys on here use AI stuff, but wanted to mention it as a great option. I’ll report back after the gig, but im excited to have a light option that doesn’t feel like a compromise on tone....

FYI, that’s my Deluxe in the picture, not the Pro Reverb....should give you an idea of size...

Eric Philippsen

Central Indiana, USA
Post  Posted 6 Sep 2019 1:49 pm    

For 6-string jazz I gig with an older Acoustic Image Clarus2R with a Raezers Edge cabinet. The only thing that comes close, in my opinion, is the older Polytone MinBrute II or IV. I use a II at home.

But I haven't used either setup for steel work. I'll have to try it.