The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Goto page 1, 2  Next
Reply to topic
Author Topic:  I Think I'm Getting The Hang Of This Thing
Michael Sheehan

Everett, Washington, USA - Heading back to Florida 2021
Post  Posted 25 Aug 2019 7:37 am    

No amount of study, video-watching, and forum-reading can get a new guy prepared for sitting down at a pedal steel guitar for the first time.

Before receiving my new ZumSteel Encore from Doug Earnest, I signed up for Paul Franklin's Foundation courses, and consumed the course several times through. I aced the quizzes and was confident of hitting the ground running.

I had watched hours and hours of Mickey Adams and Aaron from Steel Picking, Paul Sutherland, and loads of other great videos. I brushed up on music theory, printed out posters of pedal steel chord locations and practiced grips in my mind.

Then I sat down at the guitar and I was lost! It was like everything I had studied had evaporated in a millisecond.

Over the course of the last week, though, it has started to make a ton of sense to me and the lessons are starting to resonate. The learning curve with this instrument is steep, but it is starting to come. I'm only a week in.

I'll post a video here in about a year Laughing

Last edited by Michael Sheehan on 25 Aug 2019 1:02 pm; edited 2 times in total

Roger Rettig

Naples, FL
Post  Posted 25 Aug 2019 7:49 am    

Well done! You obviously prepared well.

Your approach was certainly better than mine. Back in 1974 (I think) I brought home my first steel, a ZB Student model with three-and-one, and I can clearly remember thinking on my drive home from the music shop:

"How hard can this be?"

Boy, did I have a shock in store?!

Bobby Nelson

North Carolina, USA
Post  Posted 25 Aug 2019 8:13 am    

I did everything you mentioned for more than a year while I was waiting for my new guitar. I also had bought an 8-string console, and worked a little on my right hand. The one thing I did that you didn't mention was, that I poured over Youtube and anywhere else I could find and constantly listen to the the greats, and absorbed their styles and licks, the way the approached the instrument. This helped me immensely. Before I got my pedal steel, I was already visualizing how things were done. That being said, I'm a little over a year into it now, and with very limited time to practice really, I'm pretty much able to pick out most of what I want to - getting it smoothly is another story haha. Within the last couple months, I am discovering the C pedal, and the really cool stuff that can be done with it (Jimmy Day and John Hughey make, to me, the most interesting uses of the C).

It comes slowly. The song that got me into this, is Charlie Walkers Pick Me Up On your Way Down, and because of Jimmy Day's rather unique (to me anyway) approach to things, I have only gotten to getting it down (mostly right I think) today. (when I say his approach is kinda squirelly to me, I mean that he tends to use a lot of complex chords where you wouldn't normally expect them, and will go all over the place, pedals and levers and chromatic strings-wise, to get incredible voicings. Listen to the solo in Ray Price's City Lights, for example - some really unique C pedal work) Another thing that comes slowly, is retention - at least for this 57 yr old brain.

All that being said, this is the most interesting endeavor I have ever gotten into, and it has renewed my interest in music that had waned a more than a decade earlier. I hope you enjoy it as much as I have. Good luck!

Eric Dahlhoff

Point Arena, California
Post  Posted 25 Aug 2019 8:30 am     Smile

First time I sat down at a PSG I found myself grinning ear to ear! Smile
After a while, as I started paying more attention, my wife pointed out that I was mostly frowning. "Aren't you enjoying that?" she'd ask. Hmmmm...
Watching vids of Buddy Emmons I notice that he's always smiling. Even though I will never approach anywhere close to that level, I still find that when I play it's more fun when I smile.
Enjoy the journey!! Nothing else like pedal steel guitar! Very Happy

Gene Tani

Pac NW
Post  Posted 25 Aug 2019 8:54 am    

The things i found hardest:

- coordinating your 4 limbs
- hitting `10-8-6, 8-6-5, 6-5-4 and 5-4-3 accurately plus long reaches from middle strings to 1-2 and back
- finding a Peterson sweetened tuner and tuning raises/lowers
- pick and LH blocking/muting (I can't really palm mute)

Shelton's vid about all the ways to block/ mute is good: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qZbTTAAdqRs

This is a vid of 2 players playing facing each other, I learned about LH bar control (alright, the song is a little... not conventionally melodic: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JMEcAnM-CoI

Last edited by Gene Tani on 25 Aug 2019 9:01 am; edited 1 time in total

Jerry Overstreet

Louisville Ky
Post  Posted 25 Aug 2019 8:58 am    

Congratulations Michael! Your preparation will serve you well. Your initial frustration is quite normal, but your education will make your journey much easier.

In time, you will experience many aha! moments as things you have learned will start to unfold and make sense. These are the most exciting and rewarding aspects of learning steel.

This is a good reminder for anyone just starting a new instrument to do as much preparatory homework as possible in advance.

Dennis Brion

Atwater, Ohio USA
Post  Posted 25 Aug 2019 9:33 am    

I was talking with Rick Troyer from Hummingbird Music a month ago (3 months into my journey) told him I was searching all over chasing down a short riff! Suddenly picked the right note in right spot and thought "there it is!" He just laughed and said you are getting there! Every time I search and find one of those licks i just smile and remember that moment. Very fun journey!
Dennis

Michael Sheehan

Post  Posted 25 Aug 2019 12:54 pm    

Thank you all for the tips and encouragement. Every time I sit at the guitar (which is as often as I can!), I feel more comfortable.

I have a peterson tuner coming, and I know that there is no substitution for practice.

Michael Sheehan

Post  Posted 25 Aug 2019 1:01 pm    

Gene Tani wrote:
The things i found hardest:

- coordinating your 4 limbs
- hitting `10-8-6, 8-6-5, 6-5-4 and 5-4-3 accurately plus long reaches from middle strings to 1-2 and back
- finding a Peterson sweetened tuner and tuning raises/lowers
- pick and LH blocking/muting (I can't really palm mute)

Shelton's vid about all the ways to block/ mute is good: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qZbTTAAdqRs

This is a vid of 2 players playing facing each other, I learned about LH bar control (alright, the song is a little... not conventionally melodic: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JMEcAnM-CoI

Great videos; have seen some of Shelton's others but missed this one. That is some mighty fancy playing in the less-than-melodic number; what skill!

Thanks again.

Mike Perlowin

Los Angeles CA
Post  Posted 25 Aug 2019 10:26 pm    

Michael and Dennis. You guys need to start playing in a band as soon as possible. Even if you don't think you're ready yet. That's where you'll really learn.

Bill Terry

Bastrop, TX
Post  Posted 26 Aug 2019 5:17 am    

Mike wrote:
Michael and Dennis. You guys need to start playing in a band as soon as possible. Even if you don't think you're ready yet. That's where you'll really learn.

... Absolutely! Or at the very least play with other musicians in an informal setting.

I think I played my first gig on steel about 6 weeks after I got it. I learned how to make 1 4 and 5 with the AB pedals and just showed up at my regular guitar gig with the steel also. I played it on some simple songs. I'll never forget the looks I got from the band guys when I unloaded it and set it up, but they warmed to it pretty quickly. It doesn't have to be fancy to add a lot to a song, IMO a lot of it is just about 'the sound'.

Michael Sheehan

Post  Posted 26 Aug 2019 5:55 am    

Thanks for the advice!

Ultimately I would love to play with other musicians; my brother and I get together and play guitars from time to time and I always have my JamMan looping pedal to lay down guitar parts when I’m by myself. Just simple 1-4-5 progressions to get comfortable with the pedal changes and bar technique.

I’m really hammering away at the standard 4 grips until they feel as natural to me as playing chord shapes does on my regular guitars.

Cool

Fred Treece

California, USA
Post  Posted 26 Aug 2019 7:08 am    

Mike Perlowin wrote:

“As soon as possible” is a relative phrase. I think if you go in too soon there is a chance you will get a reputation for incompetence, which could make it harder to find a band who will want you to play. For me, it was 8 months before I brought my steel out to a gig and dove in. I sure stunk up the the place here and there, but my band mates (and audience) were patient with me and now 2 years later I am very grateful to them for it, and much more comfortable with my ability. So, my advice is to think about what the word “possible” actually means, as far as your playing ability goes.

Mickey Adams

Bandera Texas
Post  Posted 26 Aug 2019 1:53 pm    

Smile
Anderson, Buscarino, Fender, Roman Guitars, Sarno Octal, Revelation Preamps, BJS BARS, Lots of Blackface Fenders!

Peter Leavenworth

Madbury, New Hampshire, USA
Post  Posted 26 Aug 2019 2:00 pm     I think I'm getting the hang of this thing

I agree with Mike and Bill, start playing with other people ASAP - as well as all the other preparation that's now available that you've taken advantage of. When I started playing in 1974 there was only Winnie Winston's book and I didn't know of anyone within hundreds of miles that played pedal steel. As long as you admit you're just learning most musicians will cut you a lot of slack and just being able to pull off a few string bends in the right places will get you off to the races. Don't be afraid to take risks (in the right settings at low volume) - that's how you learn what not to play, and what works.
2008 Zum D-10, 1996 Mullens PRP D-10, 1974 Emmons D-10, 1976 Emmons D-10, early 70s Emmons GS-10, Milkman Sideman head w/Telonics 15" speaker, 1966 Fender Super Reverb, 1970 Fender Dual Showman head, Wechter/Scheerhorn and Beard Dobros, 1962 Supro lap steels, Gibson 1939 RB-11 banjo, Gibson 1978 RB-250
banjo......and way too much more

Rick Abbott

Indiana, USA
Post  Posted 26 Aug 2019 4:44 pm    

Mike Perlowin wrote:

The reason I agree with this is that while you are learning to play in tune with your own strings you should also learn to adjust that sense of tuning to include other instruments.

It's not easy to play in tune. It's a whole other thing to hear your instrument rubbing up against a piano, or singer, or out of tune lead guitar, haha. Just find a small jam session and have fun...but really, really listen to yourself "against" the other sounds.
Sho~Bud D-10 Professional #7962
Remington T-8, Wakarusa 5e3 clone
1953 Stromberg-Carlson AU-35

Fred Treece

California, USA
Post  Posted 26 Aug 2019 4:51 pm    

Rick Abbott wrote:
....while you are learning to play in tune with your own strings you should also learn to adjust that sense of tuning to include other instruments.

I agree with this 100%. But, this is the age of BIAB and online backing tracks. You don’t have to make a fool of yourself right out of the box. Practicing with those simulated instruments helps you prepare for the Friday night lights.

Roger Rettig

Naples, FL
Post  Posted 27 Aug 2019 4:59 am    

I know I've repeated this story ad nauseum here on the Forum but, the very first time I was persuaded (or I persuaded myself - I can't now recall) to take my new steel on stage with a band (this was after three weeks of playing it), Buddy Emmons happened to be out in the crowd.

Just sayin'.....

Whoa!

Frank Freniere

The First Coast
Post  Posted 27 Aug 2019 5:39 am    

Rick Abbott wrote:
Mike Perlowin wrote:

The reason I agree with this is that while you are learning to play in tune with your own strings you should also learn to adjust that sense of tuning to include other instruments.

It's not easy to play in tune. It's a whole other thing to hear your instrument rubbing up against a piano, or singer, or out of tune lead guitar, haha. Just find a small jam session and have fun...but really, really listen to yourself "against" the other sounds.

It's a bit of a schlep with all of our gear, but open mics are a good way to get started. I've even been welcomed at "all-acoustic" events. The steel is a novelty and if you're there to support the other performers (and not be the "star"), you'll be asked to stay on stage as often as not.

It's a tremendous - and sometimes humbling - learning experience. For example, a LOT of singer/guitarists tune down a half-step to Eb; others are using capos; most everyone is slightly out of tune with themselves and with your guitar (um, your guitar probably won't stay in tune either). You will be forced to learn positions and rely less on the fret markers. And you can make your mistakes in a supportive environment - the audience doesn't seem to mind even though you'd think they know better!

Another benefit is havng to play different kinds of music. You gotta be ready for originals, blues, folk, the Grateful Dead, you name it. Sometimes really talented musicians will show up. And that's how you grow: you have to play with people better than you.

Kevin Fix

Michigan, USA
Post  Posted 27 Aug 2019 6:46 pm    

Same as Mike. Get with a band as soon as possible. You will pick it up quicker. Puts you on the spot and makes you push to your limit. I remember about 30 some years ago playing in a band and I recorded the whole night on a boom box. I heard me playing some licks I thought I could never play. On the other hand I learned what to play and what not to play.

Rick Abbott

Indiana, USA
Post  Posted 28 Aug 2019 3:10 am    

The band you play in doesn't even need to play "out," actually. Sure, playing in front of a crowd has a certain do-or-die quality, but, just with others in the garage is good enough for now.
Sho~Bud D-10 Professional #7962
Remington T-8, Wakarusa 5e3 clone
1953 Stromberg-Carlson AU-35

Fred Treece

California, USA
Post  Posted 28 Aug 2019 7:07 am    

Rick Abbott wrote:
The band you play in doesn't even need to play "out," actually. Sure, playing in front of a crowd has a certain do-or-die quality, but, just with others in the garage is good enough for now.

This is a good point. The only bands I play in “play out”, so I had to make sure I was ready before even bringing my steel into rehearsal. If you just want to jam in a garage band, by all means, get the truck and the lawn mower out of there, invite some friends over, and make some joyful noise 🤠

Kevin Fix

Michigan, USA
Post  Posted 28 Aug 2019 4:34 pm    

When You Play Live, "It Is Like, Shit Or Get Off The Pot"!!!!!!! From My past experience years ago.....

Michael Sheehan

Post  Posted 4 Sep 2019 6:18 pm    

Well I still haven't joined a band, but I'm sure I will someday! Very Happy

Getting all four limbs cooperating with each other is my primary focus now, trying to develop muscle-memory as I map out where my options are along the neck. Trying to play the same I-IV-V in a few different spots, learning where all my options for playing a V7 are is more challenging than I anticipated, but I'm not discouraged at all.

Thanks for all the encouragement and the suggestions/tips. I truly appreciate it.

Bruce Bjork

Southern Coast of Maine
Post  Posted 4 Sep 2019 6:35 pm    

Play out, Play out. I’m 28 months in on this journey, fortunately I’ve played dobro for close to 30 years so I had a head start on the left and right hand. I host an open mic at a local Brewery up here on the Southern Coast of Maine so I back up folks who will let me, you need to get into the deep end of the pool.