The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Together Again-or not
Larry Behm

Mt Angel, Or 97362
Post  Posted 20 Aug 2019 2:19 pm    

Sang TA the other night, had the guitar play (Josh Gibson) take two breaks back to back, he did a great job, so good I DID NOT TAKE A RIDE, no reason to, he nailed it and it was not about look at me.

Phone: 971-219-8533

Chris Walke

St Charles, IL
Post  Posted 21 Aug 2019 6:01 am    

Was onstage with some pals for a show, we were playing an original tune and the singer started pointing to us to take solos. The second (lead guitar) solo was this friend of mine who's pretty damn good, and he got the band all built up into a frenzy with his playing, so next time thru when the singer pointed to me, everything was "on 10". And I'm not a flashy or fast player, so I had to shake off the solo. Felt bad, a little embarrassed. I'll take a lead guitar solo after that guy, but pedal steel? I'm not there yet.

Brett Day

Pickens, SC
Post  Posted 21 Aug 2019 8:05 am    

This brings to mind the very first steel guitar show I ever played. I'd decided to do "Look At Us"-John Hughey and Vince Gill inspired me to do it. Well, I thought it would be an instrumental since it was the first show for me, but instead it turned out to be a song featuring vocals-the lead singer in the band also played bass. So, we get to the steel solo, and the first thought in my mind is, "I don't know how this will sound because I know John Hughey did the best version of it". After the song, there was a standing ovation, but I don't think I played the solo as good as John Hughey, because he did it so well!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger

Fred Treece

California, USA
Post  Posted 21 Aug 2019 8:51 am    

I understand what you’re saying, and you did the right thing. We have a pretty flashy sax player in one of the bands I play guitar in. Sometimes he’ll give the solo section everything it could ever need, and I’ll just smile and pass on my turn. No embarrassment. It’s about the song and giving the audience the best version of it you can give.

Paul Franklin gave some interesting advice on following up a band mate’s super-solo. Instead trying to keep the dynamic in a frenzy, just bring it back down. Play something interesting but simple and melodic and unflashy.

John Lacey

Black Diamond, Alberta, Canada
Post  Posted 21 Aug 2019 9:06 am    

I’ve been caught in that rut lots of times, following a hot guitarist who just killed then having to lift it from there. Played in a band with Calvin Vollrath on fiddle and Redd Volkaert on guitar. I tell you, after those buggers took a solo I felt totally inadequate. I tried playing simply and tonefully in contrast but that bit me in the ass cause leader accused me of not contributing enough!

Fred Treece

California, USA
Post  Posted 21 Aug 2019 9:19 am    

Leader with no taste.

Len Ryder

Penticton B.C.
Post  Posted 21 Aug 2019 10:09 am    

I've worked with some awfully good musicians in my day who were much better than me and never have I thought I'd been looked down on. I've always thought the best way to learn is to work with better musicians that are superior to yourself.

Chris Walke

St Charles, IL
Post  Posted 21 Aug 2019 10:15 am    

Len Ryder wrote:
I've worked with some awfully good musicians in my day who were much better than me and never have I thought I'd been looked down on. I've always thought the best way to learn is to work with better musicians that are superior to yourself.

Absolutely. On rare occasions I'm one of the strongest links in the chain, but mostly I work with my local musician heroes. Thrilling, inspiring & humbling all at once.

Mike Howard

Grandfield, OK USA
Post  Posted 21 Aug 2019 4:38 pm    

I took it to mean the Lead Guitarist nailed it. No reason to have a "I can do it too" moment.Sometimes heaven forbid ANOTHER instrument just "sums it up" "completes the tune" "says musically what needs to be said" etc. Hey sometimes (most times) Smile it's us the Steel Guitar doing that, but not always! LOL Very Happy

Lee Baucum

McAllen, Texas (Extreme South) The Final Frontier
Post  Posted 21 Aug 2019 6:32 pm    

Great story, Larry. True musicianship.

After reading your post I had a flashback to a flashback:

Click Here

Tony Prior

Charlotte NC
Post  Posted 22 Aug 2019 1:00 am    

well the other point of view ( my take) is, it's about the song. This is an iconic Steel song. Maybe some folks in the audience were wanting to hear a Steel ride ? It doesn't have to be a great , compared to the guitar player ride, its not a contest, its a song.

That being said, I don't always play a ride in many songs, if another player is in the groove , I will pass the baton to them.

My take on TOG Again is, the Steel is an integral part of the song, as important as the lyrics, present it as such, even in simplicity. Pick another song to NOT take a ride !

Theres enough songs ( and bands) without Steel these days, lets not lose touch with the songs that come to life with our instrument ! Its not about musicianship, it's about the songs first.

Just my take

Very Happy

CURRENT MUSIC TRACKS AT > https://tprior2241.wixsite.com/website

Danny Letz

Old Glory,Texas, USA 79540
Post  Posted 22 Aug 2019 5:58 am    

I’m with Tony. I’m not a hog, don’t have an ego, not even a very good player but not Together Again! I That’s a pedal steel song. I stay out of the way on the iconic guitar songs unless asked to play. I think the guitar man shoulda let you shine on that one. Just my opinion.

David Zornes

Ohio, USA
Post  Posted 22 Aug 2019 6:11 am     Guitar “Overides”

I agree with the above mentioned comments on a lead guitarist taking over standard steel guitar breaks and fills. I have worked with several guitarists who felt it was their call to play lead over my steel breaks. It’s frustrating when a steel player is getting ready to play a steel break only to have a lead guitarist to play right over top of the steel break. What a joy to work with a lead guitarist who knows when to back off- and we steelers should do the same.

Tony Prior

Charlotte NC
Post  Posted 22 Aug 2019 6:27 am    

I'll clarify, I don't have any issues what-so-ever sharing rides with other lead instruments, or passing them off to another lead instrument, as I am a guitar player as well. But, there are some songs that are iconic for our Instrument, TOG Again being one of them. This is NOT a song to be absent from.

Like probably everyone here, I've played this song a few thousand times, maybe more, I lost count, still playing it. Most every guitar player I have ever worked with insisted that the Steel take the ride, sometimes two back to back. And these were some outrageously talented guitar players but they wanted to hear and listen to the Steel.

It doesn't bother me at all that others have a different viewpoint with regard to iconic Steel songs and iconic solo's/rides, I just find it a bit curious that we would NOT play a ride in such an iconic Steel song, regardless of what another player may or may not do.

Kinda like the band playing Steel Guitar Rag without the Steel leading the way or participating !

Curious is all.

CURRENT MUSIC TRACKS AT > https://tprior2241.wixsite.com/website

Last edited by Tony Prior on 23 Aug 2019 12:20 am; edited 1 time in total

Ian Worley

Sacramento, CA
Post  Posted 22 Aug 2019 4:30 pm    

Tony Prior wrote:
...its not a contest, its a song...

Larry Dering

Missouri, USA
Post  Posted 22 Aug 2019 6:24 pm    

Amen Tony. I am a guitar player as well and I would pass if another steel player was in the band.

Larry Behm

Mt Angel, Or 97362
Post  Posted 23 Aug 2019 11:37 am    

Many good points here. I would sit out again if I wanted to, after 47 years of active playing in bands and clubs and all kinds of events, well today many think the steel in a knitting machine, THEY would not know Tom B from Tommy Lee.

I got a fist bump from another singer a few weeks ago for my break on this song, he was smiling ear to ear. Thanks Zach!

Steve Spitz

New Orleans, LA, USA
Post  Posted 25 Aug 2019 11:27 am    

I’d rather be the weakest link surrounded by great players, rather than the best player in a mediocre act. A high tide raises all ships. I got better fast when I had to follow great players.

I played with a b bender master who played sleepwalk as his signature instrumental. I had to sit there at my steel, and not play a note. It was a bit embarrassing and humbling.

The guy was killing it, and at that point, my playing wouldn’t have helped it...

It made me work harder, and get better.

Larry Behm

Mt Angel, Or 97362
Post  Posted 4 Sep 2019 7:14 am    

Steve I had that same experience this summer, the guitar player killed it, anything I would have done would not have been an addition but a subtraction to the song. So I sat back and enjoyed all the work he had done to create this beauty.