The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Quilter tone
Richard Lotspeich

North Georgia
Post  Posted 15 May 2019 3:49 am    

I think all of us having trouble contacted Pat.The response wasnt to help the problem,or even figure out what the problem was. I was(for what ever reason) playing at 10 master and 7-8 gain in my living room. ,,The Quilter email said "Don't be afraid to turn it up"

Last edited by Richard Lotspeich on 16 May 2019 3:27 am; edited 1 time in total

Jerry Roller

Van Buren, Arkansas USA
Post  Posted 15 May 2019 7:14 am    

Richard, my Steelaire is a great amp. From what you stated I think they best correct your problem. Can you call and speak with someone who can correct it? I didn’t realize that guys were having these kind of problems. This Forum is very powerful and I believe they best correct the problem on the faulty amps or stop producing the Steelaire because sales are going to virtually stop. I also have two Quilter mini heads and they have plenty of power. I think you or someone should show this thread to Quilter. They need to know that they have an important business decision to make.
This is great news for Peavey, Telonics, Little Walter and Milkman!
Jerry

Malcolm McMaster

Beith Ayrshire Scotland
Post  Posted 15 May 2019 8:04 am    

Jerry, made contact with Quilter, Pat suggested that I just crank it up, despite telling him it was already cranked up, Chris Park did not reply to my email. I believe Quilter are well aware of the problem, just choosing not to do anything about it, so believe it is a waste of time contacting them yet again. I again make the point that the tone is great, and up until the point I contacted them with the problem the customer service had been good, and I am deeply disappointed that not one single person from Quilter contacted me to say sorry you are having a problem, what can we do to sort it out. Needless to say no more Quilter gear for me, a total waste of $900 for an amp that struggles on even moderate volume gigs.
MSA Millenium SD10, GK MB200, Sica 12inch cab, Joyo American Sound Pedal/ Jay Ganz Straight Ahead amp, Telonics 15inch in Peavey cab, Digitech RP150, Peterson tuner.Hilton volume pedal.Scott Dixon seat and guitar flight case.

Jim Cooley

The 'Ville, Texas, USA
Post  Posted 15 May 2019 2:20 pm    

At home, I play in a pretty large open living/dining/kitchen area. With the Gain and Master set on 5 on either Channel 1 or Channel 2, I have too much volume pedal left to dump it. I alternate between Hiltion and Goodrich Omni volume pedals. If I select both channels and dime the Master, I have to turn the Gain WAAYYY down on both channels. I have found that I like the tone with the Master and Gain set pretty close to the same.

Tim Harr

Dunlap, Illinois
Post  Posted 4 Sep 2019 4:28 am    

I have only been running CH2 only (pre on 5 and master on 5) After reading this post, it appears that I should try to use CH 1 & Ch 2 together. I am running a Mullen G2 D-10 (BL-705) into the Quilter Steelaire Rackmount and a 12" Eminence PF-350 in an open back cab. Also, using a Telonics volume pedal. It sounds fantastic.

The pedals I am using in the EFX loop:
Peterson Stombostomp > TC Electronics Nova Delay >
TC Electronics Nova Delay

Mullen G2 D-10 (9p/5k)
Retired, US Army Band (Steel/Dobro/Guitar)
Kemper Profiler / LW 89

Last edited by Tim Harr on 22 Sep 2019 9:30 pm; edited 1 time in total

Jack Stoner

Kansas City, MO
Post  Posted 4 Sep 2019 4:58 am    

I recently sold my Steelaire rack amp and EPS-15C speaker to finance buying a new Steelaire Combo. I wasn't happy with the too bright sound of the combo. I thought it was just the new speaker needed a break in until I had a correspondence from Pat Quilter about the speaker. The Quilter speaker is based on the Eminence EPS-15C but "voiced" to have more high frequency response. Thus accounts for it sounding too bright.

I replaced the stock speaker with an EPS-15C and immediately it was a major improvement over the too much bright sound, even though the EPS-15C was new and not broken in. My EQ settings are nearly back to what I had with the Steelaire Rack/EPS-15C combo, and I expect as the EPS-15C gets broken in I will be back to their settings.

Patrick Huey

Nacogdoches, Texas, USA
Post  Posted 8 Sep 2019 7:22 am     Re: Quilter tone

Jim Ives wrote:
I find the sound of my Steelaire to be thin, tin-like. I have George L pickups on my Mullen D-10.
Would other pick-ups provide a fuller, warmer sound? If so, which ones?
Thanks,
Jim

Jim
I had the same issue with my pre RP. I had E66 and it was too tinny for me. I switched to a Lawrence 705. Much happier
Pre RP Mullen D10 8/7, Zum 3/4, Carter S-10 3/4, previous Cougar SD-10 3/4 & GFI S-10 3/4, Fender Steel King, 2 Peavey Session 500's, Peavey Nashville 400, Boss DD-3, Profex-II, Hilton Digital Sustain, '88 Les Paul Custom,Epiphone MBIBG J-45, Fender Strat & Tele's, Takamine acoustics, Marshall amps, Boss effects, Ibanez Tube Screamer, and it all started with an old cranky worn out Kay acoustic you could slide a Mack truck between the strings and fretboard on!!

Quentin Hickey

Nova Scotia, Canada
Post  Posted 5 May 2020 6:24 am    

The speaker plays a key factor in the signal
If your pickup and guitar were good before. I would suggest experiment with diferent speakers. It will make a world of diference

GaryL

Medina, OH USA
Post  Posted 5 May 2020 1:42 pm     Quilter Steelaire

Tony Glassman wrote:
I had a Steelaire for a while (which I sold to fund a Telonics 500).

I found that the key to getting good tone was balencing the low-mid and hi-mid controls. Reducing the former got rid of bass muddiness while I increased the latter to just knock off treble shrillness. Overall, it yielded a great steel tone.

The Quilter 3-knob Reverb is excellent. Being able to adjust tone and dwell is a real plus.

Tony, that is a great amp and I agree completely with your quote. I have the combo and the rackmount that I bought from you. I have gotten great sound from both. One of my GFI's has Alumitones and sounds great all around, especially with the rackmount driving a 15" cab (TT 15") and also has unbelievably great tone driving a pair of 12" cabs (Peavey Blue Marvels.) Using my active volume pedal (Hilton) with my other GFI (GFI II pickups) was not what I wanted, sound-wise, so I went to a passive volume pedal and a more mellow sound.

Tony Glassman

The Great Northwest
Post  Posted 5 May 2020 3:24 pm    

Gary, I’m glad you’re enjoying the amp

Quentin Hickey

Nova Scotia, Canada
Post  Posted 5 May 2020 5:26 pm    

I have the rackmount version as well. I hope it outlasts me.

I drive a 12 inch eminence tt and also have a bkue marvel (4 ohm). Was wondering if the 8 ohm version is just as good. Can't see why not.

My main guitar is a fessenden with BL710. Incredible combination!

Donny Hinson

Glen Burnie, Md. U.S.A.
Post  Posted 6 May 2020 5:12 am    

Jim Ives wrote:
Will a graphic equalizer help or will it just mud-up the overall sound?

Graphic equalizers (or the less-capable parametric ones) will give you far more ability to sculpt the tone to your liking. I consider them invaluable with certain amplifiers, and far more practical than continually buying and changing speakers.

That said, I find it curious that while many people bought this amp, a good number of them did not keep it.

Quentin Hickey

Nova Scotia, Canada
Post  Posted 6 May 2020 5:13 am    

Donny,

Because it was 180° diferent than they were used to and they never gave it enough chance.

Marco Schouten

Amsterdam, The Netherlands
Post  Posted 6 May 2020 10:30 am    

Donny Hinson wrote:
Jim Ives wrote:
Will a graphic equalizer help or will it just mud-up the overall sound?

That said, I find it curious that while many people bought this amp, a good number of them did not keep it.

For steelers who like the Peavey sound, they may not like the Quilter. The Quilter is much closer to a Fender Twin Reverb.

Tom Campbell

Houston, Texas, USA
Post  Posted 6 May 2020 11:04 am    

I agree with Marco...Peavey and Quilter are very different amp sounds.

I have had a bunch of Peavey's...loved their bass...frustrated with the mid's...detested their highs. I know..you have to "dial" them in. Well I dialed and dialed and dialed; all I got was a "busy" tone Oh Well finall got rid of all of them. Wish I could deduct from my taxes all the $$$ I dumped into them.

I now have a Quilter combo and an Evans SE200 Very Happy

Wayne Ledbetter

Arkansas, USA
Post  Posted 6 May 2020 3:17 pm     Quilter Steelaire

I was skimming this post the other day and am wondering if Quilter has solved this problem and also wonder if they are worth the cost?
Sho Bud Super Pro, Fender Twin Reissue, Martin HD-28, Gibson J-45, Gibson RB-250,Stelling Bellflower,Regal Dobro, Takamine and Alvarez Classical, Fender Telecaster, Peavey Studio Pro 112. Mainly played Gospel and some bluegrass.

Quentin Hickey

Nova Scotia, Canada
Post  Posted 6 May 2020 4:48 pm    

Tom Campbell wrote:
I agree with Marco...Peavey and Quilter are very different amp sounds.

I have had a bunch of Peavey's...loved their bass...frustrated with the mid's...detested their highs. I know..you have to "dial" them in. Well I dialed and dialed and dialed; all I got was a "busy" tone Oh Well finall got rid of all of them. Wish I could deduct from my taxes all the $$$ I dumped into them.

I now have a Quilter combo and an Evans SE200 Very Happy

Tom, you should have asked Regis if you could phone a friend Razz

Tim Harr

Dunlap, Illinois
Post  Posted 3 Jul 2020 1:01 pm    

I have no problem with gain. This amp will shave your head, if it was cranked. I’m playing it through two PF-350 12” speakers. Speaker cabinet is not connected in this pic.

Also, it’s is EXTREMELY quiet with regards to buzz or hum. I use it in the studio and cannot believe how quiet it is.

Mullen G2 D-10 (9p/5k)
Retired, US Army Band (Steel/Dobro/Guitar)
Kemper Profiler / LW 89

Malcolm McMaster

Beith Ayrshire Scotland
Post  Posted 3 Jul 2020 2:12 pm    

Wayne, as far as I know Quilter never made any attempt to sort out the problem. Eventually got rid of mine, taking a hit on price I paid, I would advise you, if contemplating Buying one, try it out first to make sure it is not one of the problem ones.Would I recommend Quilter ? - No, not after their total indifference to the problem, poor customer service.
MSA Millenium SD10, GK MB200, Sica 12inch cab, Joyo American Sound Pedal/ Jay Ganz Straight Ahead amp, Telonics 15inch in Peavey cab, Digitech RP150, Peterson tuner.Hilton volume pedal.Scott Dixon seat and guitar flight case.

Steve Hinson

Hendersonville Tn USA
Post  Posted 3 Jul 2020 7:35 pm     ...question...

How does the TB 202 compare with a Peavey Nashville 112,volume wise?

I bought one-it came in this week and I've used it on some overdubs out here at the house,but haven't used it for any live stuff...that's not really what I got it for.

Quite happy with the Peavey stuff for live...just wondering...

TIA

SH

Richard Lotspeich

North Georgia
Post  Posted 4 Jul 2020 3:07 am    

I'll be using one tonight on an outdoor gig. I find the volume level still lower than other amps.Its not as bad as the Steelaire I had,but still there.Everyone chimes in on that ,like the ones complaining are def,,lol. I have it on 100w or so master,pre at 3 oclock or so. I can watch and hear the TV whilst I play if wanted. Ive turned it almost to max,and its usable,not unbearable. Tone I like after changing to a Wheelhouse 150 hemp. BTW,,The PV112 can match it side by side on M10 and Pre4,,and feels like more head room to me. The tone,weight,and size is nice though. Enough people have complained that there has to be some truth to it.We cant all be def.

Steve Hinson

Hendersonville Tn USA
Post  Posted 4 Jul 2020 8:14 am    

Gonna A-B em myself sometime this weekend,but I just"showered down on it"pretty good with an EPS-15 hooked up to it and I can't ever see playing any louder than"Master"on 10 and"Gain"halfway up...

SH

Richard Lotspeich

North Georgia
Post  Posted 4 Jul 2020 3:51 pm    

First set down. Like it pretty well.

Richard Lotspeich

North Georgia
Post  Posted 5 Jul 2020 3:20 am    

Well,,the amp did ok. I had to turn up a touch more than the pic before the night was over,but it was outside and not in the board. Tone was pretty good,but not AWE worthy.

Jacek Jakubek

Mississauga, Ontario, Canada
Post  Posted 9 Jul 2020 4:42 am    

I have two Quilter amps and always put the 'Limiter' knob
all the way up, while having the gain as clean as possible (If you use distortion, use less "Limiter" because it will kill some of your distortion).

This "Limiter" knob makes a big difference. Having it all the way up eliminates any sterile and processed tone and makes it very nice and smooth, just the way I like it.