The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Goto page Previous  1, 2
Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Too many videos????
Doug Beaumier

Northampton, MA
Post  Posted 25 Aug 2019 7:42 am    

Below are my external traffic sources for the past 365 days, 10 Million views. It doesn't add up to 100% because these sources are outside of YouTube recommendations and playlists, I believe. I'm not sure why it says YouTube on this list though. These external sites account for about 65% of my views in the past year. I assume the other 35% are from YT recommendations (YT suggesting videos to viewers).

Notice that the SGForum only accounts for about 1% of the views. The 16% Facebook is interesting because I don't have a Facebook account.

Back to the original post...

Quote:
It seems that the number of people clicking on my links through the SGF is falling.
Looking at the number of views on my YouTube channel, which are much higher than the clicks on the SGF

Bill, That's normal. Your channel has over 8 Million views. I'm sure the vast majority of those views come from sources other than the SGForum.

To view your stats, as Dale said, go to your YouTube Studio (Beta), click on "Analytics" on the left side, then click on "Reach" and scroll down the page.

john buffington

Owasso OK - USA
Post  Posted 25 Aug 2019 8:06 am    

Bill IMO your videos are of a tremendous historical value. Anyone wanting to get into the steel guitar world should view each one of these masterpieces and absorb every note played. These also offer them the foundation as to how and where the inspiration comes from. Also to gain a better understanding as to what can be had with enough time and practice. These videos gives everyone an idea as to how each player sounds different, has their own style and tone. Not the sterile stuff we hear today, once again IMO. Please continue posting.

b0b

Cloverdale, CA, USA
Post  Posted 25 Aug 2019 8:09 am    

I think that you should take care not to "monopolize" this section of the forum. The index holds 60 topics per page. Right now you have 29 topics on page 1 and it's scrolling weekly. I'd like to see the churn rate drop to 2 weeks, with more posts from other members.

It's the nature of YouTube that, once someone finds one of your videos, they can binge without returning to the forum. That's probably why the hit count on your topics here is so low. And since we have a "sticky" for your YouTube channel, it's really not necessary to have a separate post for each video.

Maybe when you upload several videos, you could gang them together in a single forum topic. That would help. It seems to me that one topic per day could inform your followers (including me!) of the latest uploads.

I love your video archive, by the way. It's a treasure.

Tom Keller

Greeneville, TN, USA
Post  Posted 25 Aug 2019 9:12 am    

I love your video posts. Whats amazing and maybe a lesson for all of us is how little some of these players set lists change over the years. No wonder they play them well. Very Happy

Doug Hall

Alabama, USA
Post  Posted 2 Sep 2019 8:41 am     Topic: Too many videos????

Bill, I got your video as a FB "friend." I wouldn't have known about them otherwise. I rarely visit SGF, unless I want something or some information on steel. It's really the Ft. Knox of steel guitar information--that's where you'll find all the gold! Your steel guitar shows add essential information to the archive. As a "learning" picker (and shouldn't we all be), the steel performances are an essential learning tool, as well as inspiration. As a lover of steel guitar, they're more entertaining than just about anything music show currently on tv. Now, about one particular video--in 1994, Mitsuo Fujii asked me to sing for his show while he accompanied on steel. I didn't make pictures or video of the show, and over the years have wished I had. I had seen your posts of the steel show videos over time, but didn't know your collection was so complete as to contain a video of that particular show. It was so nice to see the video you posted a couple of weeks ago, nice to reminisce about that particular trip to St. Louis 24 years later. I forwarded the link right away to Mitsuo and the others. Mitsuo very much appreciates the video, and I'm sure, has shared the link to your YT channel with friends throughout the steel guitar community in Japan. It's clear that anybody who was on stage or in the audience during ANY of the steel shows would be equally grateful for your hard work capturing the steel guitar performances for posterity. I plan to file them away, while they're available. I hope to see you at the Conyers, Georgia and Gulfport, MS shows!

David Mitchell

Tyler, Texas
Post  Posted 3 Sep 2019 1:06 pm    

Bill not many people are gonna stumble into those videos on YouTube. Not many are gonna find them on the Steel Guitar Forum either. Your personal FB page is the most effective out of the bunch but that's not enough.
From my experience I got the most YouTube views by posting each video I made on all the steel guitar related pages on Facebook. That's at least a half dozen more potential viewers for each video but that's where the people that watch them hang out. One more thing I have noticed is that if you just give Facebook a link to YouTube Facebook doesn't promote it very well. Why I don't know but they seem to promote direct uploads to Facebook much more. Also YouTube like Facebook is a social platform so be sure and interact with people making comments. That will gather subscribers that become followers. Facebook is your biggest drawing card to YouTube but you will have to send them to all steel guitar pages to promote them and that means everyone of them. I really appreciate what you are doing friend. Thank you Bill!

Bill Ferguson

Milton, FL USA
Post  Posted 3 Sep 2019 1:39 pm    

David,
I understand what you are saying. However, if someone is looking for "steel guitar" on YouTube, that is one of my keywords on every video.

I am getting plenty of views based on the number of steel guitarists still alive and that would have computers.

Here are my YouTube stats as of today:
Channel analytics
Current subscribers
+107 in last 28 days
Last 28 days
Watch time (min)
94%
Up by 94%
Views
53%
Up by 53%

So you can see, that is not what I am asking here. My comments are wondering why not as many people click on my topics on the forum as they used to, hence "Too Many Videos".

I do understand that more and more people use FB.

About posting on all the FB steel guitar sites. I used to do that, but that is very time consuming. Which is why I have invited everyone to join my FB Group. I post on my personal page and share to my group page.

Plus, my YouTube subscribers get notifications when I post a new video, unless they have opted out.

Right now I have almost 9,000,000 views on my YouTube site in 13 years. Not too shabby for STEEL guitar, the instrument everyone says is dying.

Thanks for your comments.

Oh yes, I do encourage people to download my videos, for the just in case. And also to share. However you do have to share from my personal page, not from my group page.

Hope that explains.
AUTHORIZED George L's, Goodrich, Telonics and Peavey Dealer: I have 2 steels and several amps. My current rig of choice is 1993 Emmons LeGrande w/ 108 pups (Jack Strayhorn built for me), Goodrich OMNI Volume Pedal, George L's cables, Goodrich Baby Bloomer and Peavey Nashville 112. Can't get much sweeter.

Doug Beaumier

Northampton, MA
Post  Posted 3 Sep 2019 2:00 pm    

"Too many videos" here on the forum? I don't know about that, but if I were you I wouldn't worry too much about views coming from the steel guitar forum. Only 1% of my 14 Million YT views have come from the steel guitar forum. I'm averaging 24,000 views per day and they come from all over the internet, all over the world. I'm just saying... if I were you I would concentrate on other social media to get the word out.

Mick Hearn

United Kingdom
Post  Posted 10 Sep 2019 1:23 pm    

Bill please keep them coming. As some have already said it is the historical value and I sit for hours sometimes watching these. They are a great source of ideas and inspiration and lets not forget that some of these players will never be seen live again.

As I subscribe to your YouTube channel I just go in to see what's new.

Keep them coming - please.

Travis Wilson

Johnson City, TX
Post  Posted 15 Sep 2019 10:49 am    

I wanna thank you. Your videos are what inspired me to start learning PSG. A few years ago I stumbled on your video for Buddy Emmons, Same Ole Me. I remember thinking that Buddy’s version of Same Ole me was hands down, the most country song I’d ever heard in my life. Then I watched or listened to all of your videos for days and because of them I became addicted to PSG and I love it.

Bill Ferguson

Milton, FL USA
Post  Posted 16 Sep 2019 6:03 am    

Travis, your post just made every bit of time I have spent worthwhile and makes me want to keep going posting videos as long as I can. There is no money involved, to be made, so it's purely a love of our instrument and wanting to keep get alive by getting more people interested. You are a prime example. Thank you
AUTHORIZED George L's, Goodrich, Telonics and Peavey Dealer: I have 2 steels and several amps. My current rig of choice is 1993 Emmons LeGrande w/ 108 pups (Jack Strayhorn built for me), Goodrich OMNI Volume Pedal, George L's cables, Goodrich Baby Bloomer and Peavey Nashville 112. Can't get much sweeter.

john buffington

Owasso OK - USA
Post  Posted 16 Sep 2019 11:18 am    

Bill. your videos are priceless to those of us who were unable to attend these shows you are sharing. Please, keep them coming so we can once again enjoy the men who inspired(s) us to keep on playing and appreciating the legends they've created.

Fred Treece

California, USA
Post  Posted 17 Sep 2019 8:20 am    

I know nothing about running a YouTube channel, but maybe you could just make a monthly announcement on SGF that you have new videos up, with a teaser link to one of them. That’s probably all those of us who don’t do Facebook would need.

Bill Ferguson

Milton, FL USA
Post  Posted 17 Sep 2019 8:36 am    

Fred,
At the top of the page on the "Steel on the Web",
I have a link posted to my site.

If I only updated once a month, I don't think people would look at all the videos in that post.

The new way I am doing it seems to be helping to keep the front page of the forum clear for other posters.