The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Airline cleaning
Dave Hepworth

West Yorkshire, UK
Post  Posted 2 Sep 2019 1:14 am    

Hi folks,
Has anyone used a high pressure airline to clean out a charger / axle/ fingers etc.I have just taken my steel to a friends garage and he cleaned mine out with the airline witha fine nozzle on the end.
I strategically placed white paper roll to catch any debris/ old oil.I was surprised to see how this technique works on getting rid of the old black oil.The white roll really caught the old stuff well .
This technique might not work for really old gummed up guitars but mine is 5 years old and has only been lubricated yearly and so the oil is still relatively new and " loose".
Comments anyone ?

Donny Hinson

Glen Burnie, Md. U.S.A.
Post  Posted 2 Sep 2019 6:40 am    

I'm sure you'll hear otherwise, but I'm not a big fan of flushing or blowing out a changer. Because when you do that, there are only two ways for dirt to go. Either it goes out, or deeper into the changer. I'd rather tear it down completely and clean it, or just get the loose surface stuff off with Q-tips and go on playing the darn thing.

Winking

Bobby D. Jones

West Virginia, USA
Post  Posted 2 Sep 2019 9:33 am     Airline Cleaning

I agree with you Donny. High pressure air and pressure washing with water can be very hard on machines. They blow the dirt and water deeper into the mechanics, And damage seals and boots on larger equipment.
The black gook that you get out of a changer is a mix of Human Sweat and Aluminum in contact, Then the oil makes it a real gooey looking mess.

Johnie King

Tennessee, USA
Post  Posted 2 Sep 2019 10:17 am    

It depends an the brand of changer some changers like a Dekley are simple an air works well.

Dave Hepworth

West Yorkshire, UK
Post  Posted 2 Sep 2019 11:35 am    

Hi again Guys,
We were strategic in our use of the airline......
We went ACROSS the fingers , tangential to them to clear the axle then from underneath the changer towards fingers and then back across the fingers again.I am confident that all the changer is clear of old oil.The use of white roll eventually showed no more oil was to be cleared out.