The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Tiny speaker
Glenn Demichele

(20mi N of) Chicago Illinois, USA
Post  Posted 15 Jun 2019 5:09 am    

I played our regular BBQ joint gig in Chicago with my 4 piece band. I used my Excel keyless D10 (god, I love that guitar), my carvin bx500, and instead of my usual BW1501 in an open back, I used a $29 Goldwood GW8003 8" full range in a 9x9x5 flimsey wooden box. The speaker is way less efficient than the BW, and 8 ohms, but it was just loud enough, didn't break up at all, and sounded hi-fi and fantastic! It took all 300W to be loud enough and I could feel the warm voice coil after each set. The speaker won't last if I beat it like that, but it was fun. I think I'll mess with a 10" full range next.

Larry Dering

Missouri, USA
Post  Posted 15 Jun 2019 5:18 am    

Glenn, good to know it worked. Likely a low spl speaker so it takes more watts to get the volume you needed. Maybe a pair of these would be usable with decent results and longer life.

Glenn Demichele

Post  Posted 1 Sep 2019 7:22 pm    

Wow: I played again last night at the BBQ joint for the 5th time with this speaker. It is taking it, and I think I won't blow it out. It really kills tone-wise. Way less SPL as my BW1501 with the same amp, but sits in the mix well: very focused, and great tone. Its the lightest thing I have to carry, which seems so wrong...

Larry Dering

Missouri, USA
Post  Posted 2 Sep 2019 5:57 am    

That is tiny and if it works out, great. Can't beat cheap. I did some speaker boxes years ago and used all MCM branded music instrument speakers. SPL rated at 89 so it used up alot of power to push them but they still work 25 years later.

Steven Welborn

Ojai,CA USA
Post  Posted 11 Mar 2020 3:20 pm    

Saw this post and got intrigued. I just ordered a
Goldwood GW-1238/PA 12" PA / Musical Instrument Speaker.
This one with a paper surround no whizzer and rated for musical instrument. Couldn't resist at $47. Will try it in a PR2.

Larry Dering

Missouri, USA
Post  Posted 11 Mar 2020 5:06 pm    

Steven, please report back with your results. Hope it works out.

Steven Welborn

Ojai,CA USA
Post  Posted 11 Mar 2020 5:16 pm    

will do.

Glenn Demichele

Post  Posted 11 Mar 2020 6:40 pm    

Yeah Steven:
The 8" Goldwood sounded so great, I thought I'd dig around and see if I could find a more efficient one.
I found this 10" full range driver, and it's now my favorite. It'll take 150W rms, and it has an efficiency of 100dB. My 15" Peavey BW 1501 has an efficiency of 98.8dB, so this little thing sounds just as loud as my 15" with the same power. Amazing.

https://www.parts-express.com/prv-audio-10fr300pr-10-professional-full-range-speaker-8-ohm--294-2888

Glenn Demichele

Post  Posted 11 Mar 2020 6:49 pm    

P.S. Found the pic of my arsenal: Left to right:
15" : Peavey 15" BW 1501 in open back
12" : TT12 in closed cylindrical cab made from a cardboard concrete form
10" : The PRV one I just posted about
8" : The Goldwood GW 8003

Steven Welborn

Ojai,CA USA
Post  Posted 11 Mar 2020 7:18 pm    

That 10" GW full range looks like it has a rolled paper surround whereas the 8" has the rubber. I'll need to grab one of those ten inchers too at these prices and try it in my Princeton. I'm curious if it will serve double duty for guitar and steel.

Cool cabs BTW.

Larry Dering

Missouri, USA
Post  Posted 12 Mar 2020 4:58 am    

Glenn, how did that cardboard cylinder work out with the TT speaker. I considered one like that as an experiment. Is it boomy?

Glenn Demichele

Post  Posted 12 Mar 2020 5:51 am    

Hi Larry:
No, it's not boomy. Its volume was calculated from the Theile-Small parameters of the TT-12 speaker for a max-flat closed box. It is stuffed with long-fiber wool.
1). Its low end is really smooth and balanced, with no peaks or boominess.
2). The mids of the TT-12 really "cut through the mix" - probably just like Travis designed it. It isn't because of my cabinet - the mids also sound like that in other boxes I've tried. The speaker however has too much of a midrange peak for my tastes - I prefer a flatter sound. I have not tried a more hi-fi 12" speaker in the cylinder though because I'm liking the 10" box these days.
3). I attached the protective cover/reflector with a friction hinge so I can lift it, and can set it at any position. My initial concept was to have the speaker firing up, and open the cover 45 degrees as a reflector. This actually worked a lot better than I thought it would: I get 180 degrees of coverage with no beaminess or frequency peaks (other than the TT-12 sound). It sounds like I have multiple speakers in the room because the sound comes reflecting back from everywhere - its pretty cool. Also, on stage, everybody on the bandstand can hear me equally well. The down side of this is that I like more steel in my mix, and I can't crank it for me without everybody else getting too much.
I have also laid the cylinder on its side on the floor with the cover open all the way, and there it sounds like a 12" in a closed box, with a more focused beam (90 degrees?), but not as beamy as a 15 in a closed box.

Larry Dering

Missouri, USA
Post  Posted 12 Mar 2020 6:40 am    

Thanks Glenn. It's great to get real world feedback from a user position, especially with pedal steel. I seen the German builder using a similar design with archtop jazz guitar. Sounding real good on his video. I have a TT speaker and haven't found an amp matchup to my liking. I tried external eq and still not feeling the love for it. Our tastes are always in question. Keep up the good work.

Glenn Demichele

Post  Posted 12 Mar 2020 9:59 am    

Yeah Larry: I don't like the TT-12 either, certainly not playing alone, where I like a more hi-fi "flat" response with lots of low end and sparkly highs. I haven't quite sold it yet because I'm still working on that difficult-for-me concept of "fitting into the mix" with my band(s).

Len Amaral

Rehoboth,MA 02769
Post  Posted 28 Mar 2020 7:30 am    

I ordered one of these speakers from Parts Express and installed it in my Mesa Boogie 20 watt Subway Blues. What amp are you using with this speaker? I am not hearing a pleasant vibe with this speaker in my amp.

Glenn Demichele

Post  Posted 28 Mar 2020 8:07 am    

Len, I think you're talking about the PRV 10"?
I drive it with either the Carvin BX-500 or the Trace Elliot Elf, both of which I set pretty much flat. I do however use a homemade preamp right out of my steel that has an adjustable fender-like mid scoop. Without it, the mids are too hot, but that seems to be true to my ears even when I play flat through my stock NV400.
My 10" is in a small CLOSED-back box, which gives the low end more body. One quick thing you could try for fun is put the speaker in an external closed box and drive it with your amp to hear the difference between open and closed. Cut a hole in a cardboard box (even the box your speaker shipped in), and just drop the speaker in the hole. The difference will be dramatic, and if it sounds more like what you want, you could build a proper box, or even a removeable 5-sided box that goes over the speaker inside your amp.

Len Amaral

Rehoboth,MA 02769
Post  Posted 28 Mar 2020 11:39 am    

Thanks Glenn, the Mesa Subway is probably not the right amp for this speaker
being a low wattage open back tube amp. I'll hold onto it and look for a 10 inch closed back speaker cab.