| Visit Our Catalog at SteelGuitarShopper.com |

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Tiny speaker
Glenn Demichele

(20mi N of) Chicago Illinois, USA
Post  Posted 15 Jun 2019 5:09 am    

I played our regular BBQ joint gig in Chicago with my 4 piece band. I used my Excel keyless D10 (god, I love that guitar), my carvin bx500, and instead of my usual BW1501 in an open back, I used a $29 Goldwood GW8003 8" full range in a 9x9x5 flimsey wooden box. The speaker is way less efficient than the BW, and 8 ohms, but it was just loud enough, didn't break up at all, and sounded hi-fi and fantastic! It took all 300W to be loud enough and I could feel the warm voice coil after each set. The speaker won't last if I beat it like that, but it was fun. I think I'll mess with a 10" full range next.
Franklin D10 8&4, Excel D10 8&5, Moyo pedal, homemade buffer/overdrive, GT-001 effects, Carvin BX500 or Peavey MiniMax or Trace Elliot ELF to BW1501 neo or TT-12 in closed cylinder or Goldwood 8" in a tiny box. NV400, Rumble 40.
Larry Dering

Missouri, USA
Post  Posted 15 Jun 2019 5:18 am    

Glenn, good to know it worked. Likely a low spl speaker so it takes more watts to get the volume you needed. Maybe a pair of these would be usable with decent results and longer life.
Glenn Demichele

(20mi N of) Chicago Illinois, USA
Post  Posted 1 Sep 2019 7:22 pm    

Wow: I played again last night at the BBQ joint for the 5th time with this speaker. It is taking it, and I think I won't blow it out. It really kills tone-wise. Way less SPL as my BW1501 with the same amp, but sits in the mix well: very focused, and great tone. Its the lightest thing I have to carry, which seems so wrong...

Franklin D10 8&4, Excel D10 8&5, Moyo pedal, homemade buffer/overdrive, GT-001 effects, Carvin BX500 or Peavey MiniMax or Trace Elliot ELF to BW1501 neo or TT-12 in closed cylinder or Goldwood 8" in a tiny box. NV400, Rumble 40.
Larry Dering

Missouri, USA
Post  Posted 2 Sep 2019 5:57 am    

That is tiny and if it works out, great. Can't beat cheap. I did some speaker boxes years ago and used all MCM branded music instrument speakers. SPL rated at 89 so it used up alot of power to push them but they still work 25 years later.