The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Any Origin effects Cali76 owners?
Tal Herbsman

Wisconsin, USA
Post  Posted 27 Aug 2019 6:34 pm    

I just got one. Wondering how to use it with PSG. Mine's in front of the volume pedal. Anybody have any settings I can try?

Tal Herbsman

Wisconsin, USA
Post  Posted 29 Aug 2019 10:50 am    

one bump and then I'll give up. Somebody here must own one...

Ed Pettersen

Tennessee, USA
Post  Posted 29 Aug 2019 1:13 pm    

I used mine very modestly. Attack around 10 o'clock, release 1 or 2 o'clock. Compression low around 2:1 and I use the clean blend at 50/50 (if you have the one with clean blend). Hope that helps.

David Langdon

West Bridgford, Nottingham Notts, United Kingdom
Post  Posted 30 Aug 2019 5:55 am    

I also thought that there would be someone who used one or the steel rig which is similar. I had been looking to get one of these as when I'm in the studio I use a UA 1176 on the output. I use it with quite a high ratio to have it limiting rather than compressing. It really smooths out any harsh high end, although you would not think that the EQ would be altered it does change the EQ curve in a very nice and subtle way. I wanted to have this sound all the time so I looked at getting a Cali76 as cheap as I could get one. Then I started looking at 1176 clones. I found a great cheap deal on a brand new KT-76 from Italy and it was cheaper than a Cali. We did an A-B test on my clone against the real Universal audio unit and it was really hard to tell the difference. This is a big rack sized unit, so that's a drawback, but I have a rack for my valve preamps and TC effects. I run my steel into a Hilton volume pedal to my valve preamps (either a Tube works or a rare Groove tubes) then into the KT-76 and into the TC effects. The steel hasn't enough output for me to go into the KT-76 so I don't have that option.
If I were you, I would probably go after the volume pedal and into the amp. Try using a high ratio like I have to get it limiting rather than compressing.
I wonder how many studios mike up the steel amp and unbeknown to us, run the channel trough a 1176? No one seems to talk about this aspect of recording, so some classic recordings of steel players may have documented the mic used on what amp, but not what console or treatment was done in the control room.
Sorry if I've rambled on a bit here, but I'm sure you should find a nice setting on the Cali76. It should be really subtle and hardly noticeable to maintain your dynamics. Dave.

Stephen Abruzzo

Philly, PA
Post  Posted 30 Aug 2019 1:19 pm    

You may want to change your title to any SlideRig owners as the SlideRig is just the Cali76 with an additional compressing stage to get one up into Lowell George territory.....at least that is how it is (was) described on their website last I looked.

That may get you some more opinions as those players may use both ends of that sonic spectrum.

Tal Herbsman

Wisconsin, USA
Post  Posted 1 Sep 2019 8:00 am    

Great tip David. I tried it. Sounds great. Compressor is before VP cause that seems to be the consensus opinion around here.

Not sure if I should plug the Cali into the preamp out. Not really sure what kind of input current the pedal is meant to see.