The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  multipurpose headphone amp for Zum 2011 single double
Ronald Ballister

New York, New York, USA
Post  Posted 29 Aug 2019 10:26 pm    

Sort of a two for one question! I'm looking for a very small headphone amp that will accept the output of my Zum and also have a line audio in from my Mac laptop so I can play along with instructional videos and practice MP3 tracks. Would welcome any suggestions.
The reason I mentioned the Zum (part 2!), which normally would not matter, is that it has been sitting under my bed for four years. Need to reacquaint myself with it. I cleaned it, lubricated, it set it up, looked down on the floor, and there was the world's tiniest black screw. Examined the undercarriage with a flashlight but couldn't find where it might go. Doesn't seem to affect playability but I'm tearing my hair out on this one and Bruce is of course long retired. Anyway, if it jogs the memory of any Zum owner that would be a good thing too. Thanks for any and all help.

Gene Tani

Pac NW
Post  Posted 30 Aug 2019 3:02 am    

I think i have one of these, the tone is surprisingly decent: https://www.guitarcenter.com/Vox/amPlug-2-AP2CL-Clean-Headphone-Amp.gc#productDetail

I say i think because its small size makes it easy to lose and ... I can't find mine. Also the rotating plug is easy to break.

There's also the Blackstar fly battery operated amp which looks like a toy but surprisingly decent tone also

Danny Letz

Old Glory,Texas, USA 79540
Post  Posted 30 Aug 2019 3:54 am    

In order for us to help with where the black screw came from, we need more info. Is it a set screw, capscrew, screwdriver head, what. A photo with a coin or common item for size comparison would be helpful. If it’s a set screw, it may have come from a set collar or maybe from the spacers on your pedal rack and so on. Zums don’t use a lot of set screws as compared to a Rhitt or Mullen and so on.

Ronald Ballister

New York, New York, USA
Post  Posted 30 Aug 2019 4:37 am    

Thanks Gene for the answer about the headphones.
Danny: I just took a photo of the black screw next to a dime which I will attach. It is an extremely tiny Phillips head. Racking my brain on this after examining the undercarriage with a flashlight.

Danny Letz

Post  Posted 30 Aug 2019 12:46 pm    

Ronald, that doesn't not sound like anything I can think of on a Zumsteel. Are you sure it didn't come from somewhere else?

Ronald Ballister

New York, New York, USA
Post  Posted 30 Aug 2019 1:30 pm    

Don't think so Danny. Worked on the Zum in my bedroom all my electronics are in my living room. So far I don't think it affects playability.

Danny Letz

Post  Posted 30 Aug 2019 2:06 pm    

It stuck to your shoe & you tracked it in there? Gremlins? LOL. I hate it when something like that happens. Good luck.

Gene Tani

Pac NW
Post  Posted 31 Aug 2019 9:08 am    

Headphone amp: I forgot the obvious.

If you already have an audio interface on the laptop and plug in headphones, you should be able to hear laptop's audio output and the PSG together, otherwise, you need a 1/4" to 1/8" adapter to plug your laptop's audio out into the interface.

Bill Burch

California, USA
Post  Posted 1 Sep 2019 7:56 am    

Consider getting a small, stand alone mixer. You’ve got hi-z instrument inputs, robust headphone amp, RCA inputs for an MP3 player, and a USB connection on some models to directly connect to your computer. For lessons, you could pan your guitar slightly to one channel and do the opposite with the video to make it easier to listen and compare.

https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/Q802USB--behringer-xenyx-q802usb-mixer-with-usb

Bill

Ronald Ballister

New York, New York, USA
Post  Posted 1 Sep 2019 10:27 am    

Thanks Gene and Bill, good suggestions.

Gene Tani

Pac NW
Post  Posted 2 Sep 2019 3:14 pm    

Small unpowered analog mixers are also pretty important in my music practicing, along with the audio interface/ A/D converter. The ones i've bought that were used, cheap, reliable and hi-fi: Yamaha, Peavey, Mackie. For more $, Soundcraft and Allen/Heath. The recent Behringer units get good reviews, avoid the ones from 4 or more years back.

Michael Hartz

Decorah, Iowa, USA
Post  Posted 4 Sep 2019 2:40 pm    

Digitech RP360 works awesome for this, mine sounded so good I started to use it live direct to the board until I got my Kemper. It’s got headphone out, aux line in and you can get it for between $130 -$160.

Brett Lanier

Madison, TN
Post  Posted 4 Sep 2019 4:36 pm    

These older blue Korg Pandoras sound really good, way better than you'd ever think. I take mine when I travel to warm up backstage or wherever. Sometimes they go for more money than they're worth because they have a bit of a cult following, weird as that sounds.