The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  double steel inquiry
Dan Yeago

Virginia, USA
Post  Posted 30 Aug 2019 7:11 am    

1) Does anybody make a close copy of the Stevens steel but in stainless steel? The angle ended Beard is nice, but the balance is different, and i'm tired of the chrome wearing off the Stevens.

2) For lap steel, i'm considering the Dunlop Jerry Byrd steel for a 6 string Clinesmith frypan. If you were to choose just one for this kind of guitar, what would it be?

David Knutson

Cowichan Valley, Canada
Post  Posted 30 Aug 2019 7:49 am    

Dan, for your first question - I believe that all Shubb steels are now stainless steel, and they have some Stevens styles. Worth checking anyway.

Jerry Overstreet

Louisville Ky
Post  Posted 30 Aug 2019 7:54 am    

What David said. Probably the SP-2 has one blunt end and one with a little contour. I believe the SP-3 has both blunt ends. clickhere

I've no experience with either of the lap steel bars in question.

David Venzke

SE Michigan, USA
Post  Posted 30 Aug 2019 4:42 pm     Re: double steel inquiry

The Dunlop 925 Ergo is a good stainless substitute for a Stevens bar.

As far as bullet bars go, I prefer polymer bars (Clinesmith makes them and there's the Ezzee slide, too, which I use), then powder coated (Michael Hillman), then glass, then ...

Dan Yeago wrote:
1) Does anybody make a close copy of the Stevens steel but in stainless steel? The angle ended Beard is nice, but the balance is different, and i'm tired of the chrome wearing off the Stevens.

2) For lap steel, i'm considering the Dunlop Jerry Byrd steel for a 6 string Clinesmith frypan. If you were to choose just one for this kind of guitar, what would it be?

Jack Hanson

San Luis Valley, USA
Post  Posted 30 Aug 2019 5:05 pm    

I like the 3/4" x 3" stainless steel Latch Lake (a/k/a Broz-O-Phonic) bar for my 6-string and 7-string lap steels. I also use one on my Weissenborn, tri-cone, and Dobro.

One caveat: If you use stainless steel wound strings, you probably won't want to use a stainless bar.

Don Barnhardt

North Carolina, USA
Post  Posted 30 Aug 2019 6:34 pm    

if your chrome is peeling, try stripping all of it off and polish the brass. I personally prefer the tone of brass over stainless. Course thats just me.

Dan Yeago

Virginia, USA
Post  Posted 6 Sep 2019 12:51 pm    

All the replies are helpful and appreciated. For a Stevens style bar, i really like that shape and balance and am hoping to find pretty much exactly that bar, but in stainless. i have a nice Beard bar that's slightly angled at each end, but there's something about the Stevens shape and balance that really suits me. Will try removing the rest of the chrome and see how that is, which might work because i'm not playing bluegrass and have switched to a C6th tuning on the Dobro.

Since there's a 6 string frypan on order, i asked Todd Clinesmith what he suggested for it. He likes the 3/4" x 3" bar and has gradually switched to 13/16" x 3", that it's feels very similar to the 3/4", and to him is the perfect weight. i ought to ask about his hand size. The polymer is said to be quieter than steel, but i'm a little hesitant about this material. However, some of the top shelf Hawaiian players are using them.

Whichever way i go, i do hope to get it right the first time. It's not like i'm buying flat picks, of which i have a metric load.

Last edited by Dan Yeago on 6 Sep 2019 4:37 pm; edited 1 time in total

Nic Neufeld

Kansas City, Missouri
Post  Posted 6 Sep 2019 2:26 pm    

Re #2...my preference would be a bullet bar. My first was a Brozophonic, and I still use it, but for playability my favorite is a 3/4 x 3"...or maybe 2 7/8, can't remember...EzeeSlide. Have a bigger version of the EzeeSlide but I like the smaller one as dexterity is a bit easier for things like reverse slants. But size of the bar is down to personal preference...

I've heard great/similar things about Todd's polymer bar, so if I were in your position, I'd just send him a bit more dinero so he can ship you a bar with your frypan!

Dan Yeago

Virginia, USA
Post  Posted 6 Sep 2019 4:43 pm    

Nic - The bullet bar is my choice also. i do like the notion of a shorter bar than 3" for a 6 string steel, but i don't know what's best at this point. It makes sense to get the bar and steel together, if for no other reason than to save on shipping. The things are a bit spendy.

Dan Yeago

Virginia, USA
Post  Posted 12 Oct 2019 1:28 pm    

So i asked Todd Clinesmith about his thoughts for a steel to go with a frypan. He suggested one of his 13/16" steels and likes the weight and balance of it. So i ordered a white one and they arrived the other. His advice was spot on...it handles so well and is quiet.

They're not inexpensive and surely spared me the extra cost and experience of buying others to get educated. So going with his choice was the best thing for me. i noticed Bobby Ingano uses a white steel...wonder if it's one of Todd's.

Lee Holliday

United Kingdom
Post  Posted 14 Oct 2019 4:34 am    

Enquiry???

Or are we being interrogated...

Sorry I couldn't resist the grammar comment, next time one of you mentions Math I will be all over the plural...

Lee

Dan Yeago

Virginia, USA
Post  Posted 14 Oct 2019 5:11 am    

Hey Lee. Your comment is fair game and appreciated. This language we use over here may not always resemble English. i do speak a number of local dialects, but as you can see, proper English and typing aren't my strong suits.